Words we've learned since reading Think Atheist

Those who know me must think I see only negative in the world... which is often true :(

So I thought I'd be a positivist for a moment, and thank Think|Atheist for offering an intense debating forum where reality and rationality usually prevail :)

I was a anglo-Newfie plunked down in French-Québec at age 4. I had to become bilingual real fast and negotiate some pretty brutal cultural paradigm shifts, as a hated anglo, growing up through the October '70 crisis when Canada imposed martial law onto Québec, jailed thousands of innocents, causing thousands more to go into hiding and burn all personal mementos/correspondence that might be deemed treasonous, including some of my family members. My region was separatist (with which I fundamentally have always agreed, and the separatist government was responsible for removing education from the hands of the clergy, but only after I was done high school), but schooling included daily religion/catechism, which I despised.  In the end, knowledge, reason, and sheer pig-headedness inculcated by my atheist parents, are the traits that eventually got me through those hard times. Some days I wished it was my incredible sense of humour and charisma that were my best traits, but they weren't... LoL!

Being multilingual brings many pleasures to life, but I also missed out on certain speciality areas of vocabulary, and my literary/philosophical vocabulary in English still needs much improvement. Learning is a perpetual life endeavour, and were it not for my heavy school loans, I'd spend all my life in school. But, T|A provides some degree of compensation :)

My favourite new word I've learned here is (hoping it's not more common than I perceive):

Disingenuous. Such an interesting word for debates, subtly distinguishing itself from the act of lying.

What are your favourite new words?

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The cool thing about words is that they are actually tools for thinking. Having a better vocabulary actually makes a person smarter!
Philosophically isolated, christMyth, kiki kiki, Jean Marie, doone, Richard Dawkins, Perry,
Detrimental - that which causes harm like in "organised religion is detrimental" ;)

If my understanding of internet nazification* is correct, I believe that I am actually gramar a nazi nazi nazi.  

A gramar nazi points out improper gramar, sometimes fairly and sometimes in a fit of condescending nitpickery.  A gramar nazi nazi jumps down the throat of anyone who points out any gramar or spelling mistake, even if well-intentioned.  I think the group that earns my ire can be logically assumed at this point.

The beauty of it is, I think I've hit the nazi threshold.  If anyone wants to one up me, they'd end up gathering enough 'nazis' together in one place to start the Fourth Reich.

Liberal Creationist

"Liberal creationists believe in evolution, but only from the neck down."

Oh how I've met many of them!
Liberal Creationism -- Ha- Ha, ha.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service