I work at an office environment. It's quite open to the public at times. Sometimes we get flyers promoting various woo from chiropractic crap to 'spiritual - deepak-chopra-type' nonsense. Usually I rip them up before throwing them in the bin. The other day a mini-argument ensued with a work colleague over the efficacy of  chiropractic methods. In the heat of the argument, I realized it wasn't worth it, i.e. don't shit where you eat etc....

Have any of you had similar experiences? How far have you gone? 

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It’s not worth getting upset over any superstition.  However, if you keep your sense of humor, the discussions about them can be very entertaining.

I'm going into nursing an we just had a discussion in class the other day about "complimentary and alternative medicine."  I kept my mouth firmly shut for most of the stuff.

Yes actually, a catholic former co-worker. Somebody asked her what a scientologist is, it was during the time of the Tom Crusie controversy. Her definition of what a scientologist is, was so wrong it actually was annoying to listen to. I ignored here though. 

Her definition was:

"Well know the way we believe in God? Well scientologists believe in science?"

I was thinking to myself, if you don't know what you are talking about you silly woman stop talking foolishness and let an educated person speak. I think we call all agree that if that is all scientology was it would not be a problem. 

Chiropractic has been proven to be effective to treat lower back pain, besides that it's an expensive and dangerous massage, a good one at that.

It depends on what is the bullshit. When medicine majors speak to me about natural and alternatives medicine i talked back, a lot, composed but a lot. A man that has the life of people on his/her hand should not believe that kind of bullshit or a least not without evidence of its efficiency.

An interesting story that i have, during a bus trip, a homeopatic salesman tried selling green tea as a cure for colon cancer. So i jumped to call his bullshit and was doing quite well until i was forced to say that i am not a doctor or a medicine student, so the whole bus automatically assume that he was right and bought a lot of overprice green tea. But apparently, it got an impression on him; i could see the sadness and shame in his eyes every time he looked at me.

I ended up in an office argument with a coworker we discovered was a vaccination doubter. It was like arguing with an ueber-Christian. After 10 minutes of about 5 of us arguing with her, I realized that actual facts and research weren't going to influence her. She ended the argument with "Well, I believe it's the parent's right to make these decisions." It's the old "I'm entitled to believe whatever woo I want because it's a free country and I have rights." She does.

As for the efficacy of chiropractic treatment it's hard to argue with an individual who has no doubt that they feel less or no discomfort after a session. Whether the sense of relief is real or imagined,  temporary or permanent, they believe there was a benefit. How can you argue with that?

Perhaps in many cases believing you're better is the same as being better, at least when it comes to something like pain.

There has long been a lot of quackery in health care. There is still a lot.

Chiropractors (DCs) and medical doctors (MDs) have always competed for patients. For decades the laws favored the MDs because they had politicians on their side. Twenty years ago a friend who was (and might still be) a DC says the training has become as rigorous as that for MDs.

After an injury while mowing the lawn I felt lower back pain and occasional DC care helped. After selling my car I started walking a LOT MORE and my back has for 20 years been okay--except that 15 years ago I rode a bike for a few weeks and my back protested. I sold the bike and all has been well.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service