I tend to get annoyed with the instantaneous dismissal of creationism simply because the physical world can support itself by itself, similar arguments. Or just the general idea that theists are theists because "science can't explain this phenomenon, therefore God did it". Nobody seems to recognize that "God" is outside the box of the universe; he isn't just some finite entity made of dark matter who at random times manipulates the physical realm in ways that science can't explain... eh.. what i'm getting at is that so what if science does accurately explain event X, what if we can even use science to explain everything that happens in the entire universe!? When a creationist says that God set the world into motion, that doesn't mean that said creationist has to pretend centripetal force and inertia is made up by God-haters and it is actually the  physical hand of God spinning the earth and whirling it around the sun... that means said creationist believes that the centripetal force due to gravity is God's doing. This idea can apply to the Big Bang theory as well, even evolution for all I know. When the Bible says that God created the Earth in 6 days and I hear a counter argument that goes something like "oh well the earth was actually formed in x amount of days so explain that" I just say "the hell if I know" because I don't know! Go argue against a fundamentalist! I don't know if the Bible is speaking literally at that instance or not, if so, maybe it really was? who's to say at what point in the earth's creation did God start counting? Who's to set the precise definition of the word "day" in that verse? The point is that there are too many dang variables for anyone to outright dismiss God because of what's in the Book of Genesis, unless YOU are the one reading the Bible like a fundamentalist.

What I personally get from the Bible has absolutely nothing to do with science. You can't just compare science against God like they are two conflicting views of what happens in the universe. From a purely scientific point of view, I'm saying that maybe the deists or agnostics have it right in the sense that God may or may not intervene in the physical world and who the heck knows or even cares if He's actually moving stuff around or not. Worrying over "proving" that He does or does not exists is not the point, because science simply can't do that either way! Its just an endless cycle of opinion.

The Bible isn't intended to leave you worrying about finding tangible evidence for God. Finding God is a heart issue, not a science issue. I think that is what the Bible is all about. :)

Views: 1552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why are atheists so obsessed with God and religion?  Perhaps because they have spiritual, religious dispositions: but they explain the whole thing without using God.  Most people, at least the ones I know, are just not interested in the whole issue of spirituality or religion or atheism. 

As far as I'm concerned, there is room for your point of view.  I think it is conceivable that there is a God whose character we humans are unable to properly fathom.  Further, there may even be evidence for Him.  I have observed that the law of karma appears to extend way beyond the world of the physically possible, into pure spookiness.  How do I explain this?  I don't have a good explanation. 

However, I agree with Flower and others.  I don't feel a need to worship or believe in God.  I get along just fine without doing so.  I remember the law of karma when I need to achieve something.  I am very interested in Christianity because I value and respect the way that good Christians live their lives, and see that I can learn from it.  I think I am probably a Christian who doesn't believe in God.

@Simon Paynton

I don't know why, or even IF, other Atheists are 'obsessed' with gods and religion - but I do have a vested interest in the subject.  I have a vested interest because I lost my entire family for my failure to believe that supernatural beings are directly interacting with some of them, or that the Catholic Church offers the only acceptable rules for living and must never be questioned.

I have a vested interest because every year several young people take their lives due to being shunned by their family, fearing being shunned by their family, or because they have actually become convinced that they are worthless human beings and degenerates for their very nature.

I am concerned with religion because it impedes the teaching and progress of science.  I am sickened by religion when the mentally ill finally find the courage to kill their children because seemingly sane people seem to be hearing the same voices.  I am troubled by religion because wonderful children are told that a lake of fire awaits them, and that is what they deserve, unless they subscribe to cult doctrines.

I am horrified when crowds of people protest loudly outside of an abortion clinic, while some poor scared young girl cowers down the street, afraid to attend her appointment; an appointment she has for many reason, but partially because the conservative community in which she grew up has denied her sex education.

It sends shivers down my spine when world leaders stand before the electorate and proclaim that science can't be trusted, Atheists aren't patriotic or even worthy citizens, and go on to say that they believe the earth is 6,000 years old and evolution is a hoax.

To sum it up, I'm not obsessed with the lives of the religious or their religion - If I'm obsessed with anything, it's my right, and the right of my fellow decent human beings, to be left free of such a disgusting cognitive virus as superstitious thought and doctrine.

Well, that saves me the time of addressing the dismissive "atheist obsession" charge. Thanks!

No problem - that's just my warm up material.

@ Heather - I hear you.  Thanks for enlightening me.  Tough break.

It's not dismissive - it is a part of the picture. 

PS  I too had my life properly ruined by religion, and had to build it all up again myself.  I seriously hated Christians for a long time, and wasn't proved wrong, until the last few years when I started meeting a few I could respect. 

There are few of them that I hate - at least as a percentage of the total.  Theism itself is what I truly despise though - and haven't met a theology yet that I view as anything other than repugnant.

@ Heather -  I know one or two "modern"-type Christians, and I find that we agree on most things, and can respect each other.  I would be happy to have them on my side and I could rely on them.

You can rely on them until you in some way come in conflict with their superstition - and at that point there is no reasoning through it; facts mean nothing to people who believe in invisible fairies.

If you looked around at the world and realized that 80-90% of people believed in the Norse pagan gods and organized their lives around this belief, wouldn't you, as someone for whom it is obvious that the Norse gods are a fiction, find it incredible and fascinating? Heck, don't Christians find it fascinating that more than half the world believes in the wrong concept of God and is going to burn for eternity? How can anybody NOT be interested in God and religion?

Did I read correctly that centripetal force is due to gravity?

It can be.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Zachary L. Hagedorn 4 minutes ago. 168 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.