THE CONTEST HAS CONCLUDED. Thanks to all who entered! Follow Nelson on Twitter to get the winners announcement!
UPDATED!!: So. you've joined Think Atheist and you've signed up for a Twitter account and now you're ready for the contest to start but what now?? Well now we're able to give you the final details on how to enter the contest.
***Go to Twitter and follow Pitchstone Publishing, the publisher of the book, and then tweet this sentence: "I'm a member of @ThinkAtheist and I want a copy of Why We Believe in
Make sure you get it exactly (I'd recommend copying and pasting it to be sure!) so that you don't risk your entry not being counted!
Remember, the contest runs from midnight tonight- Saturday 12AM- until 11:59:59PM Saturday night (all times Eastern US. timezone converter here.)!
Alright, we're at the point now where we can give you the details of the contest we're running whereby 3 (three) ((***UPDATED!!! The publisher of the book is so excited at how the contest is going they've upped the number of prizes from 3 to FIVE signed copies of the book!***)) FIVE Think Atheist members will win a signed copy of Dr. J. Anderson Thomson's new book Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith, featuring a foreword by none other than Richard Dawkins!
Here are the details:
1) The contest is open only to Think Atheist members so if you're reading this and you're not already a member join now! In order to enter you must have a Twitter account as well. Create one now so that you're prepared ahead of time for the contest.
2) The contest will be held May 21st- this Saturday- and will run from midnight to midnight Eastern US time (here's a timezone converter for those in other timezones around the world)
3) You will be entered in to the contest when you take to Twitter between the hours of 12AM Saturday May 21st and 11:59:59PM Saturday May21st to follow the book's publisher and to tweet a specific phrase. This page will be updated Friday night with links to the publisher's Twitter account and with the specific phrase that will need to be tweeted. Following the publisher now before the time of the contest will do you no good and may result in your entry not being counted. Wait for us to say "GO!"
4) Each entrant will be assigned a number. At the conclusion of the contest the publisher will randomly draw 3 FIVE numbers corresponding to 3 FIVE entrants. Those persons will then be contacted in order to first verify their membership with Think Atheist*. Upon verification of their membership with Think Atheist they will be given an email address at which to contact the publisher so that the publisher can get the winner's mailing address for shipping of the book. Winners must contact the publisher within 24 hours of being notified to be eligible to receive their prize**. All costs of shipping the book will be handled by the publisher, whether the winner is within or without the US.
5) Once you've signed up for your Think Atheist membership go to Twitter and follow Pitchstone Publishing, the publisher of the book, and then tweet this sentence: "I'm a member of @ThinkAtheist and I want a copy of Why We Believe in God(s) http://bit.ly/iSEHdl" Make sure you get it exactly (I'd recommend copying and pasting it to be sure!) so that you don't risk your entry not being counted!
That's it! Do this and you'll be entered into the contest!
So there you go everyone! Sign up for TA. Create your Twitter profile. Follow Pitchstone and send your tweet!
Here's a video of Dr. Thomson discussing the book.
And here he is discussing the cognitive science behind religious thought at the 2009 American Atheists conference.
*Should any of the chosen entrants not be verified Think Atheist members the publisher will then randomly select another entrant. This will continue until such time as we have 3 FIVE verified Think Atheist members as winners. (So, again, if you're not a member now, JOIN!)
**Should a winner fail to contact the publisher within 24 hours of being notified they will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another entrant will be randomly drawn. This will continue until we have 3 FIVE verified Think Atheist members who respond to claim their prize within 24 hours.
This guy is obviously mentally ill. In fact, a case could be made that anyone who believes nonsensical religious dogmas is crazy- ok, so it's probably not in the DSM-IV (R) but it makes sense: how can anybody truly still hold on to anachronistic tenets in the face of miles of books and papers and other scholarly material - what about outer space? There's obviously no "heaven" up there, just an empty, endless universe and guess what? The earth is NOT the center of the earth as the Catholic church claimed (they only, about 20 years ago or so apologized for their inhumane treatment of Galileo, Copernicus, etc!!!) The earth is only a tiny little speck in the midst of an endless universe, full of trillions of stars, billions of galaxies and so forth. Also - for all of you suckers taken in by the stupid idea that the earth is going to end Dec 21, 2012 because some obscure, ancient (Mayan) calendar said so - come on! Get real. There is nothing to worry about people. Whoever started this dumb idea floating around is just as mentally ill as the screaming schizo wildly ranting about the earth ending on May 22. -km