I've been wanting to ask the men of TA this question for a while, but couldn't come up with the right wording to make it sound right....

So.....fuck it. I'm just going to ask you straight out.

How do men see women?

(Example) If you meet a new female co-worker, do you automatically categorize the woman as being like your wife, girlfriend, mistress, daughter, or some other female in your life? Do you then treat her accordingly?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm about to do something totally crazy. I'm entering a field where I may be working with ALL men. Less than 1% of women in this field. Why? Because I'm a crazy girl.....so. I need to know from a guy's perspective how to relate with them. I'm used to the "corporate world," and I can play that game. I'm also familiar with law enforcement, where things are a little rougher, but there was still plenty of women that I worked with. But I've never been the ONLY woman, (or one of the only women.) Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing....very possible. But, for what it's worth I thought it would be fun to discuss how men see women. And, any advice you guys have would be welcome. I'm fearful of men right now, but I know it's an irrational fear. I know that. But the opportunity I have in front of me could put me in the 6 figure range income-wise. I'm willing to do what it takes to overcome this. Any help/advice is welcome.

Views: 635

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My take on this is that groups of men are not homogenous. Your relationships with each individual will depend on you, on your circumstance with them, and how much time/exposure you have to each individual. 

I have a female friend that was the first woman to take the classes necessary to become a train engineer at a railroad company back in the 90's. 

She said the training was full of sexist terminology, but she didn't take offense to it. She got along well with her co-workers and became a train engineer, one of the highest paid union positions in the U.S. at about $100 an hour back then. Certainly the high pay probably influenced her to play well with others, but the same would be true of a man in the same position. That would get it close to gender-neutral, which is how she felt about it at the time.

So wife, girlfriend, mistress, daughter--none of the above. All the respect due a co-worker if they want to keep making the big money themselves. More if you allow it, but that is up to you.

She said the training was full of sexist terminology, but she didn't take offense to it.

"Okay, now to make the train go faster, shovel coal into that thing that looks like a gaping cunt. To slow the train, pull back on that thing there that looks like a stiff pecker."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :P

a train engineer, one of the highest paid union positions in the U.S. at about $100 an hour back then.

Holy smokes.  I remember back in high school telling people I was going to become an engineer.  One of them actually thought I meant train engineer!  Maybe I should have taken the hint.

Personally, their gender has no bearing on how I view them. I view them according to their character

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 36 minutes ago. 19 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.