I have been challenged and have challenged myself why I am not a Diest and the only reason why I am not at the moment is because I do not like to make quick decsions, perhaps the God of the Bible is the actual God? but perhaps He isnt? So at the moment I am inbetween; both a Deist and some sought of Theist.

My question for you guys is; why not Deism?

Many of you guys used to be Christians/Muslims or just plain religious and your belief that God does not communicate with us or contradictions in the Bible does not mean there is not a God.

However, with society most people are either the two extremes and this can be seen with atheism and theism.

So why Atheism? Is it just an emotional reaction to seeing contradictions in the Bible and other religions and claiming there is no God or having a belief that there isnt one? And why not Deism? 

Thanks.

Views: 1608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool thanks man

Yes, I agree, but in their defense, the deists may fill in the name of God as a placeholder, but would just as easily erase it in the light of new evidence.

The deist may just be nodding yes, nature itself is a higher power than us, and the only word that conveys this thought effectively, especially during the enlightenment was the G word.

Or maybe I give them too much credit and they really believe a god is required. I think it goes down to each individual, weather they accept the possibility of a god or the necessity for a god.

The deists of the time of the founding of the United States were creatures of their times. Intellectually advanced creatures, but few in that day and age were able to throw off a belief in God. That they were able to decide that there was no "here and now" God was certainly a big step in the right direction. Later on, something similar became the so-called Death of God Theology.

I wonder what these "deists" really believed. I would like to think many were more measured in their public disclosures then they really were in private thought. They left clues perhaps....what is T. Jeff REALLY saying here?

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because  if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more  than that of blindfolded fear.

Thomas Jefferson

I'm not opposed to deism per se. The only problem is that there isn't enough evidence for such a thing. We still have big questions about how the universe came into being, but I don't believe we've exhausted our supply of explanations yet to jump to the belief that godditit. It's a big question, and I haven't found a question yet who's true answer was goddidit. I don't feel that it will answer the question about the universe either.

is the only appropriate response that I can imagine.

I think he might be Jewish lol

He's my favourite Futurama character btw haha

Looks somewhat like a cartoonish Cthulhu.

I have been challenged and have challenged myself why I am not a Diest and the only reason why I am not at the moment is because I do not like to make quick decsions, perhaps the God of the Bible is the actual God?

Which Bible? There are dozens.

I'm not deist because I've found no reason at all to suspect there is a supernatural origin or that we are being monitored by a celestial Big Brother.

Existence is mysterious. I think to be an atheist, you need to be comfortable with the fact that many (or most) things will not ever be known because they are unknowable.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service