Why isn't a 14 year old girl old enough to consent to sex?

After all, we think a 14 year old should be in control of her body enough to decide on her own to have an abortion, so why isn't she old enough to consent to sex?

I'm thinking about this because of a case that's in the news today:

Kaitlyn Hunt, or “Kate,” has just refused a plea deal in a case that has focused the nation on discriminatory prosecutions and ways in which LGBT people are treated differently by some prosecutors. Kate Hunt, a high school senior who began a consensual relationship with a classmate three years her junior, when she was 17, was arrested when she turned 18 after her girlfriend’s parents demanded her arrest and expulsion from school.

The Florida prosecutor, Brian Workman, offered her a deal vastly different from those generally offered to teens in her situation engaged in opposite-sex consensual relationships. Instead of offering her a misdemeanor charge Hunt is being charged with two felonies. Her plea deal would include her being forced to register as a sex offender for the rest of her life, no possibility of her case being overturned or records sealed, and forced to serve two years’ house arrest.

“Hunt will appear in court June 20, and could face 15 years in prison if convicted... (source)

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the question in the subject line as well as on this case.

Views: 4341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha...nice.

My wife was a Gemini. I never knew which one of her I would see.

@Unseen - "but can we really prepare her for the consequences of aborting her fetus? Will she in her 20's or 30's regret not having the baby?"

No we can't prepare her for her regrets in the future - Just like she couldnt be prepared to not make the mistake in the first place. She might regret it but still know that at that time - it was the best decision to make. There are consequences for everything.

"why stop respecting that right when it comes to her sex life?"

Could there be a distinction between one of these things being a 'right' i.e having an abortion - and other things like sex or dental implants might not be rights but privileges.

Just a thought.

What is a right and what is not is legislated. We get the legislation we legislate. It doesn't come down from God.

U, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate with your "What is a right and what is not is legislated."

A right is successfully claimed.

The English Commons, during centuries of conflict with monarchs, regularly claimed "our ancient and undoubted rights."

Centuries earlier, the Norman William's sons had not won wars but wanted to remain monarchs so they consented when their Councils told them "You get money when you redress our grievances."

"We get the legislation we legislate." Rumsfeldian Babble.

But do you get my point, which is that it's illegal because of legislation, but saying that it's wrong because it's against the law is somewhat circular, since we ourselves decided the content of the legislation.  If right and wrong exist in reality, it's not due to some lawmakers.

since we ourselves decided the content of the legislation.

A-ha, you confessed to having a hand (mouth?) in creating the problem.

RE: "we ourselves decided the content of the legislation" - that's not true, we elect the lawmakers, then they do whatever the hell they please.

For the past several weeks, Letterman has been running a feature on "The Late Show," that he calls, "Stooge of the Night," in which he features legislators whose constituency overwhelmingly indicated they wanted more extensive background checks before issuance of gun permits, but the legislators voted contrary to their wishes. Maybe you need to take a closer look at just how represented we really are.

@ Angela Evangelia;

"There are consequences for everything."

That should go on a plaque somewhere.

I agree. To fit Angela's words onto a more compact plaque I will pass them along to my minimalist writer, who returned them as, "Everything has consequences".

it's kind of neat.  We live in a Cause and Effect universe.  The very existence of Time dictates that Cause must have Effect.  As  a result, every single action or change has connected consequences, whether emotional or physical, and over varying lengths of time.  Even the universe is headed towards entropy.

You'd think, as thinking apes, we might have come to grips with that by now, wouldn't you?

And yet, we don't trust cause and effect and want to inject artificial effects of our own.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service