Why isn't a 14 year old girl old enough to consent to sex?

After all, we think a 14 year old should be in control of her body enough to decide on her own to have an abortion, so why isn't she old enough to consent to sex?

I'm thinking about this because of a case that's in the news today:

Kaitlyn Hunt, or “Kate,” has just refused a plea deal in a case that has focused the nation on discriminatory prosecutions and ways in which LGBT people are treated differently by some prosecutors. Kate Hunt, a high school senior who began a consensual relationship with a classmate three years her junior, when she was 17, was arrested when she turned 18 after her girlfriend’s parents demanded her arrest and expulsion from school.

The Florida prosecutor, Brian Workman, offered her a deal vastly different from those generally offered to teens in her situation engaged in opposite-sex consensual relationships. Instead of offering her a misdemeanor charge Hunt is being charged with two felonies. Her plea deal would include her being forced to register as a sex offender for the rest of her life, no possibility of her case being overturned or records sealed, and forced to serve two years’ house arrest.

“Hunt will appear in court June 20, and could face 15 years in prison if convicted... (source)

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the question in the subject line as well as on this case.

Tags: Hunt, Kaitlyn, rape, sex, statutory, underage

Views: 3410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jerry Falwell was gay for purple Teletubbies

Who isn't?  Tinky Winky had a handbag and got the sack I believe for being too nelly. 

@Simon

"too nelly" - 

Hi Greg

re: " .... man with a big stick"

Thats just an expression meaning someone that scares them. Not unlike having to face a tribal elder kind of thing.

I dont believe in hitting children - ever. I smacked my son a couple of times when he was little and I had never felt more ridiculous in my life. I thought "look at how big I am and how small he is" and it just felt so wrong that it never happened again. I dont believe in hitting or smacking or threatening or yelling or over-using the word no with children ...

"Its not a bad idea though to scare the bejeezuz out of some bitch by a man wielding a big dick."

You are funny

weird more like

Personally, I think 14 is old enough. Then again, at 14, your hormones pretty much rule your life, so you aren't exactly in a position to make a reasonable decision about sex.

I don't recall EVER being in a position to make a reasonable decision about sex.

Bwahahah.. Lordy, ain't that the truth? 

"Analogies from animals are always risky."

Yes but this is how we know what we know - we experiment with monkeys - we traumatize them and raise them in extremely neglectful environments. Then we make those poor monkeys have a baby and see if it knows what to do. It doesnt know what to do and it neglects it.

"Birds allow the stronger offspring to harass and even kill the weaker siblings, who frequently are shouldered out of the nest. The mother bird turns a blind eye,"

The mother bird turns a blind eye and that harassed baby bird dies. Never to become an adult - ever. Mother bird doesnt keep that baby bird alive so the other sibligs can torture it every day.

"We want children who need us to protect them so we create children who need us to protect them."

No - Children need to be protected - so we need to protect them.

No - Children need to be protected - so we need to protect them.

Of course, but at a rate which can rapidly decrease depending on our expectations of them.Naturally, we can't expect a four year old to be much help hunting rhino, but other cultures show us that children can be useful contributors far sooner than we do. We expect our kids to take on adult responsibilities somewhere in the 18-25 age range. Elsewhere, kids have been productive citizens starting from age 8 or 10 on.

I'm with the birds on this one. 

Not strong enough to survive childhood? Then you'll probably make a pretty shitty adult. 

..............and this is why I'm not having children. 

This all reminds me of Johnny Cash's song "A boy named Sue".

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service