Why isn't a 14 year old girl old enough to consent to sex?

After all, we think a 14 year old should be in control of her body enough to decide on her own to have an abortion, so why isn't she old enough to consent to sex?

I'm thinking about this because of a case that's in the news today:

Kaitlyn Hunt, or “Kate,” has just refused a plea deal in a case that has focused the nation on discriminatory prosecutions and ways in which LGBT people are treated differently by some prosecutors. Kate Hunt, a high school senior who began a consensual relationship with a classmate three years her junior, when she was 17, was arrested when she turned 18 after her girlfriend’s parents demanded her arrest and expulsion from school.

The Florida prosecutor, Brian Workman, offered her a deal vastly different from those generally offered to teens in her situation engaged in opposite-sex consensual relationships. Instead of offering her a misdemeanor charge Hunt is being charged with two felonies. Her plea deal would include her being forced to register as a sex offender for the rest of her life, no possibility of her case being overturned or records sealed, and forced to serve two years’ house arrest.

“Hunt will appear in court June 20, and could face 15 years in prison if convicted... (source)

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the question in the subject line as well as on this case.

Tags: Hunt, Kaitlyn, rape, sex, statutory, underage

Views: 3439

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It assumes that a 14-year old girl ISN'T old enough to consent as a prior argument. It begs the question "Is a 14 year old girl old enough to consent to sex?" Probably a even more emotionally charged question than your original :D But I don't think that has ever stopped you from bucking taboo subjects before. (Which I commend you for!)

Why isn't or why is...both end up confronting the reader with the same issue. Most people seem to assume that we have a right to run the lives of people below a certain age, except of course if a young girl wants to get an abortion. Personally, I believe parents need to have a role. We can't guarantee every girl will have good parents but we shouldn't assume that most girls have bad ones. I just see a possible inconsistency or even hypocrisy in thinking a 14 year old is competent to decide to have an abortion on her own but not to choose with whom to have sex. I can't say I have a firm opinion either way, but as always I believe we come to better conclusions if someone will stand up and ask difficult questions.

I'm currently working with a legal argument among who's consequences is that a 14-year old girl has the right to consent to all of the above. But this is only a legal framework and not a social, cultural, or health one. Those other frameworks aren't invalid but they do not create or justify a legal one. Of course I'm speaking strictly of U.S. law. Other nations can do what they want (and always do).

@Unseen

Are you really asking something like:

'If an adult man can fit his penis into a very young girls vagina and she lets him, then why cant he go the whole hog'?

Is that what your really asking?

Wow, what a dirty mind.

"Wow, what a dirty mind."

No - I said a strong thing - Not a dirty thing.

Dirty is just how some men people chose to read it.

Did you find it titilating Unseen?

You painted a very graphic and sexual image of a young girl and an adult man. @Unseen didn't even come close to advocating such. What he HAS discussed and originally brought up is the boundaries of a young girl (14 years old in his example based on a contemporary legal case). How much control does she have over her own body? This is an issue of personal rights and not of sex.

"You painted a very graphic and sexual image of a young girl and an adult man."

I'm sorry but I did no such thing - I said some words and you painted your own picture.

@Angela Evangelia you said a specific set of words meant to evoke a specific image for the reader. You didn't just "say some words". You said a very specific set of words with a definite intent.

If someone speaks of a "green room" and the reader/listener imagines a green room as a consequence then that is the intent of the those descriptive words - because that is the purpose of descriptive words - which are what you used.

You're engaging in a rather poorly disguised ad hominem. Either accuse me of pedophilia explicitly or get back to the intelligent part of the discussion. I can't help it if you find it uncomfortable. Perhaps it's good you find it uncomfortable. And don't come back with the old "I was just joking." Nobody's going to buy that.

Richard - what do you visualize if I write:

'Mohamad married an 8 year old.'

That image is also just as offensive.

I cant help that -  I'm sorry.

"I can't help it if you find it uncomfortable."

What is it that you think I'm uncomfortable about?

"I was just joking."

Have I said that before?

are you talking about 'mansplaining" in the past?

Im not accusing you of being a pedophile - You like to put words into my words dont you?

You assume too much.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service