Why isn't a 14 year old girl old enough to consent to sex?

After all, we think a 14 year old should be in control of her body enough to decide on her own to have an abortion, so why isn't she old enough to consent to sex?

I'm thinking about this because of a case that's in the news today:

Kaitlyn Hunt, or “Kate,” has just refused a plea deal in a case that has focused the nation on discriminatory prosecutions and ways in which LGBT people are treated differently by some prosecutors. Kate Hunt, a high school senior who began a consensual relationship with a classmate three years her junior, when she was 17, was arrested when she turned 18 after her girlfriend’s parents demanded her arrest and expulsion from school.

The Florida prosecutor, Brian Workman, offered her a deal vastly different from those generally offered to teens in her situation engaged in opposite-sex consensual relationships. Instead of offering her a misdemeanor charge Hunt is being charged with two felonies. Her plea deal would include her being forced to register as a sex offender for the rest of her life, no possibility of her case being overturned or records sealed, and forced to serve two years’ house arrest.

“Hunt will appear in court June 20, and could face 15 years in prison if convicted... (source)

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the question in the subject line as well as on this case.

Tags: Hunt, Kaitlyn, rape, sex, statutory, underage

Views: 3442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, I am - ask anyone --

Morocco only axed their rape laws this year after the suicide of a  16 year old victim.  Up until January, if a rapist married their victim, they couldn't be charged with rape in their country. 

Afghanistan has a horrible problem with the same thing. India, too. There, the preferred method of suicide from rape-marriage is to consume rat poison. Nasty way to go. Very messy. 

Actually, here is a list of countries that still have forced-marriage for rape victims on the books:

Venezuela, Indonesia , Cameroon, Chad, Denmark, Russia,AlgeriaIraqSyriaTunisiaLebanonBahrainKuwaitJordan,

..and Occupied Palestine, which I believe falls under Jordan law. 

This is 2013, and that's LAW. 

In many countries, it's still enforced custom, if not on the books. 

Cambodia is bad for that. 

I mean, anywhere with high poverty and low education will have some sort of marriage or suicide pressure  for rape victims. 

Misty.  I'm not being funny - how do you know all this?  You're a mine of information.  It's good. 

I see you were booked by the room monitor Simon - sorry about that ;)

lol, never mind, hard-asses don't care about that

oh no

hahaha - loloollloolollololol 

What happened Simon?

What have you done now?

Loud fart in the library  *_*

We are inconsistent in our laws. And we enact illogical laws.

In my state there was a similar case a few years ago when the underage girl's parents didn't like the boy she was dating so when he turned 18 they had him arrested. Even though they were only  2 years apart in age he was tried and convicted and after he gets out of prison will be on the sex offender registry for the rest of his life.

Rights and privileges are withheld from teens but responsibilities and penalties are heavily enforced. A 14 or even 13-year-old can not consent to sex but will be tried as an adult for a felony. No one gives the teen a psychological exam to verify that they were capable of making adult decisions as of the time of the crime. Instead their constitutional rights to a fair trial are ignored and they are waved into adult court.

Some might be wondering why a psychological exam: because children and adults have different sanities and teens are in a transitional state between the two. For those that doubt that fact consider what you would think about an adult who acted fully as a child – you'd consider them mentally impaired. A child who acts like an adult is also strange but that behavior is accepted by adults even though it is likely due to dysfunction.

A reasonable solution would be to erase any automatic elevation to adult status; institute an evaluation of the mental status of the person. If they pass the evaluation, they are an adult with all rights,  privileges, responsibilities and penalties. This would mean that unless they have passed the evaluation they can not be tried as an adult. But they also can't engage in other adult activities.

Yes, I realize too many people don't think about things, instead they respond emotionally so such a policy would never be approved.

Finally, someone taking an unemotional look at this topic, which is the discussion I was hoping for. Why does a 14 year old own her body enough to get morning after abortion pills or even a surgical abortion on her own without parental involvement and yet doesn't own her body enough to have a sex partner without exposing that partner—even one who is just barely adult him or herself—into a system with very extreme penalties?

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service