hello, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

but a question has always plagued me.

You always hear it is a sin to murder, it is a sin to hate people (always with exceptions), it is a sin to like children, it's a sin to steal, etc. etc. etc.

But why is it a sin to eat shellfish?

Tags: dont, eat, shellfish

Views: 670

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that website makes me a little sick.
at first I thought it was a joke.
then I realized it wasn't.
If it is a joke, it is a damn good one.

edit: wait.. IS it a joke?
I'm confused..
I feel kinda dumb now, hee~
look on the "about" page of the website. It's a parody, and a funny one!
Curiously enough, Sunday night I was out at dinner with a large group of people, most of whom I did not know. When having calamari for an appetizer was suggested, one person said that they couldn't eat it, as it was against their religion. A polite inquiry later, I found that he was a 7th Day Adventist. So it seems that at least one sect still obeys they 'Shellfish are an abomination' stricture, although I don't know if mollusks should really count as shellfish.
SDA that follow White's doctrine don't eat any meat. The more extreme sects go full vegan. The more liberal sects will eat fish; the really liberal ones will eat fish and chicken, and on very rare occasions might go for some beef. But I've never met a SDA that would stray outside what the OT called 'clean' animals; with extra special avoidance given to shellfish and pork.
Thanks, Johnny. I only had a cursory understanding of SDA (Bible literally true, 7-day creation, etc), and most of the finer points I hadn't read up on.
Is a mollusk a shellfish? I thought shellfish had exoskeletons.

I guess they lumped together a couple of groups of animals. Shrimp, crabs, lobsters... all those are arthropods. They've got exoskeletons.

Mussels, clams, snails, squid, and octopi are mollusks. They don't have exoskeletons, but most have shells.

There is not a path to a good theory - every hypothesis you imagine cannot be falsified. At this point Leviticus, the law administered by the tribe of Levi, is like a Window Set-Up Wizard:

Step 1 - insert the disc (Torah)
Step 2 - accept the Terms of Use (believe with all your heart, soul, mind etc.)
Step 3 - become a member of the tribe.
it is in the old testament some where, with time i could find it, it is part of Old Testament law. shell fish was considered a scavenger eating the excrement of other animals that fell the the bottom of the ocean, therefore they eat ssss, you know, so they are 'unclean" per jewish law. I was a 7th day adventist and that was part of our law also..
Leviticus 11:10.

"But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water, they are an abomination to you."

So shrimp, clams, lobster, plankton, seaweed, etc, all abominations.
Then the Japanese diet must be the most abominable of them all.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service