So, I work at a bookstore, and the other day I had a customer looking for the book, "Why Evolution is True." As I brought him to the section, I was saying, "It's really sad that there even has to be a book like this-- it's like writing a book, 'Why the Earth is Not Flat."'

He had to stop and think for a minute-- when I say "it's sad" that that book exists, it can come off at first as sounding like I am someone who denies evolution.. Anyways, he got my meaning.. and I don't remember the details of our conversation... he started to get into it more, and I said, "that's all I'm gonna say about, I technically need to keep my political views out of this" (employees are, understandably, not supposed to discuss politics out on the floor-- although in the break room we go at each other all the time but that's a different story!)

He pointed across the street at the church, and said, "I don't know what's going on, but week after week there are more and more people going there." He said he used to believe in all that stuff, until he started reading more "books like this." I said, "It's nice, isn't it... to become aware of the truth?" He began to agree.. but then I said, again, "Okay, well, I shouldn't really say any more, so I'm going to leave it at that" in a sort of "I know you catch my drift" sort of way.

Later that day I helped another man pick out a Bible-- he needed a Catholic version, as he hadn't realized not all Bibles have all the books that the Catholic ones do (wherein I dove, enthusiastically, into a mini-lecture on the Protestant Reformation). I find it strangely enjoyable to help people looking for Christian books, because I generally know more about them than the customers do.. and I muse to myself, "and they have no idea that I think this is all a bunch of crap."

Anyways... just felt like sharing.. speaking of the book itself though, has anyone read it?

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If this is going to turn into a discussion of beer then I will be unable to resist posting about 5990 posts in this thread... fair warning!

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ed 2 hours ago. 19 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 5 hours ago. 27 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 6 hours ago. 130 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 10 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 14 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 1 Comment

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service