This has been bugging me for a long time now. I get it that most people believe that being gay or homosexual is an abomination, but they should be able to marry whoever they want to. Right? I don't know if it's just me who feels this way, but please share your opinion.

Views: 1061

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Choosing who you love and want to spend your life with is no-one else's business except your own, and theirs. Any Govt trying to deprive you of that deserves, excuse the informal nature of my response, is tyrannical and deserves a coup, revolution, overthrow or outright extermination.

To put it in simple terms, the govt is NOT there to say what you can and can't do. It should be there to protect your rights. Any restriction on those rights isn't Govt, it's tyrany. For example (forgive me but I still feel it's true) like Hilter/Nazi's/America.
Yes, I wasn't joking.

There are Bible passages which appear to condemn homosexuals and treat it as a capital crime. Of course, we all read The Bible in translation. Beyond that, as Wittgenstein has said, "To know a language is to know a way of life," so can we really trust ANY translation?

Good point.  Not to mention, technical translation errors.  For how many centuries did Christians believe Jews secretly had horns, due to a one-word mistranslation? 

"I get it that most people believe that being gay or homosexual is an abomination..."  Er, I think that using the word "most" here is a BIIIIG stretch...

But yes, I would agree with your main point.  What right has society to interfere with the private lives of any consenting pair of adults?

One word- religion

Anyone who wants to interpret The Bible so as to explain away the anti-gay passages (there are 6 or 8 of them) is just engaging in magical thinking. They are there, and while some may be subject to interpretation, some certainly are clear enough. Assuming the translations are good, of course.

Actually, Unseen, I think that is untrue.  Please watch the youtube here

I think this young man explains them very eloquently.  Of course, you may feel you do not have the time to spend watching his dissertation.  Should that be the case, then please accept that the anti-gay passages in both the Old and New Testaments can be "explained away" and rather effectively.

The trouble is, I have no way to examine his credentials. Is he a world-renowned independent, nondenominational Bible expert? Do other experts bow down before him? Or is he just another among many who want Christianity to be compatible with homosexuality and are willing to reinterpret The Bible to make it appear so? Like the fundamentalists, I like to take The Bible literally. Would YOU like The Bible to be gay-friendly. Why? Why take away one thing to criticize it with?

So did you actually watch it?  I'm guessing not.

Frankly I do not care whether the bible is this or that - it makes no difference to me.  I just thought you might be interested in someone that had spent a lot of time reviewing his bible, and was explaining the result of his analysis in an educated way.  It seemed to be connected to your post. 

I always like to learn new things, and for some reason, I imagine everyone else does too.  Perhaps I am simply over-optimistic.

Fundamentalists spend a lot of time with their Bibles, too. I'm not interested in someone who wants to give gays an excuse to be Christian. I learn new things every day. I can't really "learn" anything from a Christian apologist, or if I could, I could probably learn something more useful by following my nose.

You're such a sweetie :)

I watched it about halfway through, I feel for the guy, trying to make an argument so that he can stay in the Christian club, which he was born into and feels an affinity for. But it's kinda like arguing the science in Star Trek, isn't it?

His argument may possibly matter to the laypeople that watch the video, not because of its content, because of his passion. 

And he probably has no credentials, just a drive to solve his ideological dilemma and he seems to have followed a scholarly path to do it. I give him credit, but the mental gymnastics will likely be too much for church fathers to give him his due.

RSS

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service