This has been bugging me for a long time now. I get it that most people believe that being gay or homosexual is an abomination, but they should be able to marry whoever they want to. Right? I don't know if it's just me who feels this way, but please share your opinion.

Views: 1019

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe Kitt from Knight Rider, and possibly that talking dog from the Taco Bell commercials. There may be similar exceptions, but apart from those exceptions, no need for a legal marriage. Human and a theist? I know theists look kind of like people, but let's not elevate them to the personhood status of talking cars.

Unseen says: "What about a person and their dog... ?"

In the bible belt it's OK as long as both are heterosexual and the dog doesn't get pregnant. :)

Your question is obviously quite leading. Most people do not believe being gay is an abomination. I've met very few who do. But I also live in San Francisco. Even so, how can you be born as an abomination? If that is the case, why are carrottops, autistic children, mixed parentage, etc. also an abomination? It is trendy for the religious right to pick on "gays" right now. We Athiests may be next.
I meant to say *why aren't*…

Show of hands:

When is the last time anyone heard the word "abomination" used outside a conversation about homosexuality?

;;raises hand;;

I play Dungeons and Dragons on a weekly basis, and am a Warhammer 40k player. I hear the word abomination used quite often.

But, yeah, in the real world, only when it is used to describe homosexuality.

I hear it about wearing white after Labor Day.

I most recently heard 'abomination' used in a conversation about Apple and Microsoft. I said it though. Does that count? 

I still hear 'Obamanation' in reference to the Black man in the White House. 

Then there is the Incredible Hulk's arch-enemy the Abomination.

Otherwise, yes, the word is tossed around frequently when GLBT issues come up. 

Does 'abominable' count?  There's that snowman....

How topical! They usually play Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer on TV this time of year. The Bumble is my scariest early childhood memory (aside from the nuns at Catholic school). It counts.

*Raises Hand*

Both I and my partner use the word abomination on occasion in discussions that have nothing to do with religion. I think the last time I heard the word used it was in regards to ice cubes in beer.

Now that, Becca, is an absolutely acceptable use of the word - indeed, I feel the word was tailored exactly to fit that situation.  Must have been intelligent design :)

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 5 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service