When presented with the information that unborn and new-born babies die of natural causes countless times every day, one is forced to consider the implications this has on their beliefs of a ruler of the universe. Since an unborn, or new-born baby is innocent in every way, how can it's untimely death contribute to the supposed planned system? Rationally one is forced to choose one of the following hypothetical situations.

1.) There is no God, supreme being, or morally imposing cosmic system in the universe.
2.)God is not good or just.
3.)God is not all powerful, or does not control nature.
4.)God has abandoned his creations.

Some points to consider before responding:
Are all lives equal? If so, can ending one life short of practically existing at all, have a beneficial, or more importantly, just impact on another life? wouldn't that be squandering one equal life only to effect another supposed equal life? Whether or not the death of these babies can be considered a punishment or not, is it just? can it have a righteous purpose? Can it's clear opposition to equality be just?

If you can think of another hypothesis that would be consistent with the facts please share.

Tags: contradictions, equality, justice, life

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good discussion we have here I see. I think someone said "This is like the Backwater party: Representing anyone and everyone behind the nation's sewage valve, and working to convince you it's drinkable!" sums it up best.
Good read, basically my same argument. I like my specifics though. Honing in on infants, cuts out the "it's because of free-will" argument, since it's not of any persons will, and it adds a level of irrationality, knowing that it's clearly a life lost to one just as deserving of life as any other. Plus the title is quite eye-catching. I'd like to expose it more, I had it up in a forum on a social networking site, but it was taken down after a while. It was interesting to see, some responders would just be very angry, and call me all sorts of names, but others would actually say things like "Wow, I was gonna come in here and call you a jackass for having a discussion with this title, but after reading it I realize you have a good point." or something to that effect. Seeing that was quite rewarding.
For the sake of a debate, I have been ask to share my view, or take on this topic. My client list remains confidential, and anonymous. ;)

One of the main causes for the death of a child before and at birth, is that of a tragic genetic replication error. In which, the genetic error occurs when the is excess, lacking, or the wrong genetic information. In which case, the death though only partially known, scientists are looking for a cure. For which, they are probing for answers beneath the hide of the greatest creatures known to man, the human being. Using the genetic information gain to try and find the all hopeful cure to this, using embryonic stem cell research, and stem cell research.

I would argue the point that like all other animals, we are in the circle of life. one lives, another is born such is this circle, a never ending cycle of beautiful life, coming to an end, each wondering as his(or her) final moments pass before his(or her) eyes; "Was it worth it?"

Based upon the Christian out look on life the child who is effected by death, and never had the chance or knowledge of, the gift was Christ gave apparently, God welcomes them into his arms for safe keeping. However this is assuming that God is real, and does exist.

Assuming he does not exist, would it change that the children die? In the did, like Buddhism, everything will come to an end, but that is just the beginning. although they have died, we do not know the other side, so for them it is the beginning. As such, can anyone be blamed for the death of a child?
Buddhist believe that there is a cycle of birth, life and death and rebirth. ;)
All well and good except for the Christian outlook. What reason could God possibly have to put some of us through the hardships of life, then deciding our eternal fate, and some of us a speed pass to heaven, having never made a single conscious decision in their lives?
I hope the splinter I got from that nasty board in the attic doesn't lead to an infection that necessitates the amputation of any limbs. I hope any future child I may have won't have to deal with a government run by end-of-days-fearing politicians. I hope we don't totally fill up the Pacific with plastic.

I love this game!! I feel like such a hopeful atheist!
I think the title is perfect to catch the attention of the intended reader, also it is simple. A title such as "Why would God, if he were to be existent, and engaged in the activities of man, allow the death of infants?" would probably dissuade most readers. The point isn't to make the title politically accurate, that's what the content is for.
This is a very good point. I was going to say that since death is not a bad thing if you believe in heaven, there's nothing bad about babies dying from a religious viewpoint. However, you raise the good point that this isn't fair to those who have to struggle through life and pass a bunch of tests to get through. This lack of fairness is also evidence in the lives that different people are born into. Assuming the Christian god is the real deal, it seems awfully unfair that some people are born christian and are told the "truth" right away, while others are born into other religions with little chance of hearing the "good news." Why should some souls get preferential treatment right off the bat? The only way to convince oneself that god is just is to think that god must know something about each of those souls that makes each of their lives fair. (Like a handicap in golf.) But then how about the souls born with the brains of serial killers, who can't feel compassion? How could that possibly be fair if this person is being watched and judged? Anyway, this is my rambling way of saying that dead babies is one of many examples of how any all-powerful god could not possibly be just.
"A leaf going through a solid wooden wall..."

to quote Steve Martin:
"Yeah, I remember MY first beer."

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 13 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 13 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service