One of my favorite people of all time is Cornel West. Two of his most well known books are Race Matters and Democracy Matters where his views on society are for the most part, incredibly on the mark. I've heard him live a couple of times and he is wonderful to listen to.  He is also a frequent quest on Real Time with Bill Maher where he rails against the right yet at the same time has been known to call out Obama. Anyway as I was listening to him the other day, I started to think, how could a man of such intelligence, hold onto something as unintelligent as religion? He is a man of deep faith. Expanding on this idea, why is it that many people of incredible intelligence are people of religion? What is it about what they get from religion that allows them all to suspend reason on one day a week and give themselves to the land of the make-believe? One of the main doctors who is treating Hitchens is a man of faith. This is a guy who has studied science in depth and has seen cells divide. He knows there is no scientific basis for his beliefs. Yet he believes. Is it because all these people need to religion to deal with death? Is because it is what is expected in our society and to be otherwise is too difficult? I just don't understand. 

What are your thoughts with this? Why does intelligence, reason, intelligent thoughts more often than not, lost out to religion? I would love to hear from of our friends of faith on here as well.

Views: 433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also goes to show that it doesn't take youth to be emotionally immature.

"Why does intelligence, reason, intelligent thoughts more often than not, lost out to religion? I would love to hear from of our friends of faith on here as well."

Habits and family teachings. The more a young human is indoctrinated the more reason they loose when it comes to religion. If religion was treated (as it should) like alcohol and you could not get into any form of service at home or in public until of age of consent. I bet religion would go away in 2 generations.

Greatly enjoyed your comment comparing alcohol to religion.  Spot on !  I was a cradle Catholic but was able to do without it over 65 years ago.  It took a great many years to get me 'hooked on liquor' but I have been off that too, for over 10 years.  Both CAN be terribly terribly addictive.   But try telling that to an evangelist, or a compulsive daily drinker.
Very True Helena, Very True!

Using Emotion rather than Knowledge, Logic, Facts & Rational, Critical Thinking skills to arrive at one's position on an issue is totally unintelligent.

On the other hand, being called a racist by some[one] [***edited by moderator.- Nelson***] who has no concept what a racist even is, certainly caused me to reply emotionally.

@ Niel C. Reinhardt

Do you have a cactus fetish?

[***edited by moderator.- Nelson***]
You know, these nifty little reply buttons (blue filled triangle and the the word Reply, also in blue) were put below every comment for a reason. Using them makes following the flow of the discussion so much easier.
You couldn't possibly expect him to do that.
Faith is important when separated from religious fanaticism. U have to look at it as faith in knowledge, logic, education, humanity, science, etc. But one way of looking at it from a logical AND religious sense is that god created this universe for man to discover. It was his intention to create this vast, complex existence. Religion and logic can coexist. But remember that logic is the most important part. Regurgitating what the bible or some religious figure said is illogical. But taking what makes sense to your reality is important. Also the understanding that everones life experience is completely different. The ones that are out of line and over the top don't understand the deeper meanings of these concepts. Remember: reality is relative. And whose to say that something is fake when it hasn't been proven wrong? Open minds and open hearts folks. Let this existence change u. :D

@Alexander Equate

is that god created this universe for man

Just for us? Great. Uh, any evidence for this claim?

Remember: reality is relative

No it's not. You don't get to make up your own reality.

And whose to say that something is fake when it hasn't been proven wrong?

By your logic, the talking carrot who lives under by bed is not fake.

Open minds and open hearts folks.

An open mind is healthy, but open it too much and it will fall out. And hey, an open heart is a messy affair, who needs that?

But one way of looking at it from a logical AND religious sense is that god created this universe for man to discover.

Like rats in a maze?

Religion and logic can coexist.

Actually no. Belief in a god(creator, controller, whatever works for you) can coexist with logic/science, but belief in a particular religion, with all of the nonsense that comes with following a religion, cannot coexist with logic/science.

Regurgitating what the bible or some religious figure said is illogical.

Isn't that a huge part of religion?

And whose to say that something is fake when it hasn't been proven wrong?

So unless someone explicitly proves something wrong, people should believe in it however illogical or unlikely it may be?

Reality is not relative - that which others cannot perceive is imagination, the rest we can all agree upon even if we don't share the same explanations.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service