This question is directed at anyone who lives somewhere.  So as not to discriminate, those who do not live somewhere, but perhaps live somewhen instead, are also invited to participate, but only if they can explain how that works.

It's pretty open-ended really, but a few things to consider:

• Is your community open to your atheism (or other philosophy if not atheist)?
  • If so, is that a factor in why you remain?
  • If not, does this bother you?
  • If it does bother you, what keeps you where you are (family, school, can't afford to move, etc.)?
  • What other aspects, positive or negative, affect the livability of your current location?

Even if you frequently move, or do not live most of any given year at a fixed address, I'm still looking for the same basic things: what keeps you in a state of moving around so much?

N.B. Don't feel obligated to answer those subquestions I asked.  Photos, words, videos... whatever; answer however you damn well please.  I'm mostly just curious about where other TA members are coming from, figuratively and literaly.

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I live in Canada because I was born here but I have lived in many different parts of the country.  Currently I live in Québec City, Québec, because I wanted to simulate emigration to another country without losing my cherished Canadian health care.  Although a lot of people here have at least a working knowledge of English and I've been picking up a lot of French, I still have some marvelous experiences of being hopelessly unable to communicate in situations where I really really need to do so.  Religion really doesn't enter into my life at all because I really can't have significantly meaningful conversations - not that I ever had significantly meaningful conversations with theists but at least now when they knock on my door I can just pretend that I don't understand a single word that they are saying.

For the most part I've become acquainted with a number of immigrants (from outside of Canada altogether) and we share stories of our frustrations using whatever common words we can find.  From these kind people I've managed to collate a list of restaurants where you can get a dish-washing job within days even if you don't speak a word of French and perhaps especially if you don't speak a word of French - ha ha!  I love it!

I moved to the Houston area because of a job a few years ago. Even though I have changed jobs since then, I stay here because of family. My kids have grandparents nearby and my wife has a sister that is close. Once they move off to college I plan to move.

I live in Finland where 80% is lutheran.. I recently resigned from the church and no one seems to care. If someone has a problem about it I don't care. I realized I don't believe in God so why fake it.

+Finland is safe,

+ welfare is good...

- Harder to get rich (if you want to, I don't)

- harder to get drugs

- It's cold sometimes and DARK in the winter time so you want to kill yourself. It can be a problem for some veggies.

Many thanks for the good news on the impending demise of the RCC in Ireland. While it's 'very sick' here in America, it will hang on long after I am gone. Congrats on exposing those pedophile monsters. "Mother Church did lose millions of Catholics here as a result of that same problem, but there are still a great many millions 'hanging on'.. I am a loong since 'escaped' Catholic myself.
  • Is your community open to your atheism (or other philosophy if not atheist)?

Yes. I am originally from one of the most secular countries in the world and currently live in a former communist republic where atheism permeates society to a substantial degree.

• If so, is that a factor in why you remain?

Not really. I moved here quite randomly due to a job offer.

• What other aspects, positive or negative, affect the livability of your current location?

Cheap country to live in. By far the best beer in the world. Excellent public transport system. The heart of Europe. Decriminalized drugs. Negative aspects include no comprehension of service, limited selection, completely different language group, no concept of efficiency.

I think the quest in my life, coming from the dark and cold North, is to live somewhere which never sees snow and palm trees grow naturally. I don't mind religiousity around me, I have a tendency to find atheist/agnostic/secular friends no matter where I am. As I know a some religious people take offense, I 'come out' quickly and accept that it causes some people to be unable to be my friends.

Oh, and the staggering beauty of a mixture of gothic, medieval, neo-gothic, art nouveau, and art deco architecture baffles my mind. Seriously, just look at this citiscape:

Fortunately, many countries offer temporary work visas which afford you the opportunity to try living in different areas without all of the complications and stipulations of immigration. An ex-coworker just left the company to spend a year working in Germany. She said the paperwork was pretty easy to complete, and you don't need to have a job lined up before applying. There's generally an age restriction for these things, but I think in this case it is thirty-five, which probably gives you a fair bit of time if you ever want to go that route.

You could hop countries for a bit, or if you find one you like, try to work out the immigration process while you're there.
If I wasn't so goddam old, (85) I would not be living in Altoona, Pa. Go for it Cass, you're only young once.

I live in the liberal part of Las Vegas, NV. In general though, we have lots of mormons and catholics in this city. I meet more jackasses than open-minded religious folk.

I stay because I can't afford out of state College tuition.

I live in a small town in South Carolina.  I would say they are NOT open to atheism.  They barely acknowledge evolution.  I stay because living with my parents is rent-free while I go to a technical school on scholarship.  I plan to stay maybe three more years after I get my degree if I can get a reasonably good job.  If I can get a job at the projected salary for my current degree program (this area is supposed to see a lot of retirees in the next few years in this field) I should be able to pay off the student loan from my BA degree.  After that I will either move to a city with a heavy dose of multi-cultural peoples and reasonably decent public transportation, or I will return to Asia, maybe for work in my field, maybe to teach English again, or may be to study Chinese.  I lived in China for five years and I really liked it there.  I would love to give it another go, or hit up another Asian country.  I've also thought about going to the Netherlands for a year or so.  My grandfather was Dutch and I have never had a chance to meet his side of the family.  So I have also thought about that as well.  I like to keep my options open.     
My best wishes, Niki, on the realization of your 'game plan'. There are some small-minded bigots just about everywhere, don't let them get you down. You have a good life ahead of you no matter where you go.
My best wishes, Niki, on the realization of your 'game plan'. There are some small-minded bigots just about everywhere, don't let them get you down. You have a good life ahead of you no matter where you go.

RSS

Forum

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim 15 hours ago. 13 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Virgil yesterday. 65 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose yesterday. 71 Replies

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service