This question is directed at anyone who lives somewhere.  So as not to discriminate, those who do not live somewhere, but perhaps live somewhen instead, are also invited to participate, but only if they can explain how that works.

It's pretty open-ended really, but a few things to consider:

• Is your community open to your atheism (or other philosophy if not atheist)?
  • If so, is that a factor in why you remain?
  • If not, does this bother you?
  • If it does bother you, what keeps you where you are (family, school, can't afford to move, etc.)?
  • What other aspects, positive or negative, affect the livability of your current location?

Even if you frequently move, or do not live most of any given year at a fixed address, I'm still looking for the same basic things: what keeps you in a state of moving around so much?

N.B. Don't feel obligated to answer those subquestions I asked.  Photos, words, videos... whatever; answer however you damn well please.  I'm mostly just curious about where other TA members are coming from, figuratively and literaly.

Views: 458

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah Vancouver. I have some crazy memories of that town. I woke up in a stranger's house there after a wedding. I had to get out of bed and surprise the shit out of the family who were having breakfast. The jerk that drove me to the place I was supposed to stay dropped me off at the wrong house and I spent the night. The people said the door would be unlocked, but to just come in without waking them and to crsh in the first room on the left. Purely by co-incidence, this family hadn't locked the door and the first room on the left was a vacant bedrooom, so it seemed like I was at the right place. Ugh, what an uncomfortable situation it was trying to explain myself to them. Once they decided my story was legit, they let me shower and even drove me downtown so I could catch a bus to the airport.
Best story ever :D

I live in North Highlands, California.  Politically, it is split fairly evenly between Democrats and Republicans.   Demographically speaking, there are just over 44,000 people in 12.8 square miles.  Most are married and Christian.  Many are Russian.  Most households make less than 50K/year with many sitting right around 15-20K.  Probably because most of the people have an associates degree or less. Temperatures rarely fall below freezing in winter and it doesn't snow.  Summer temps are hot.  Generally in the 90's, with several days over 105, and even a few over 110. 

Churches:

Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses
Emmanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Valey Christian Church
Evangel Christian Fellowship Church
Evening Light Church of God
Highlands Missionary Baptist Church
Highlands Christian Center
Slavic Missionary Church
Faith Baptist Tabernacle

I moved to California after my divorce in 2004.  My family lived in the area and although I have moved cities, I am still within a 20 minute drive from my first place here.  I am open about my atheism, when it comes up, and most people don't seem to care. The only time religion is a problem here is Halloween.  None of the Russians celebrate, and very few of the Indian/Pakistanis celebrate.   

There are only a few things going for this location, but they are important to me.  One is the cost of rent (paying 860 for a 3 bedroom townhouse).  But that will go up this summer to a price I don't know I want to pay, so I may be looking to move again.  But the location might be worth it to stay.... undecided right now.  The school my kids go to (across the street!) have been very helpful when it comes to my son on the autism  spectrum, and my college is 10 mins away.   My parents also live around the corner and provide child care to my youngest when I go to school.  That being said, if I could afford to move, to a place that meets all my wants, I would in a heartbeat. 

Good discussion topic. :]

I'm in Central Ohio. Pretty religious, but I think the people I know are very accepting of my atheism. If they're not, I don't want to know them. I drive my car with my Darwin fish and park it right next to the Jesus fish and pro-life stickers at work. No one's said anything yet. Where I work is right on the way home for some people my husband works with. At a get-together at my house, one of his friends told me he followed me to work the week before. I asked how he knew it was me and he said, "how many other Chargers are driving around here with a Darwin fish and an Apple sticker?" Good point. 

I would love to live somewhere more progressive, but, I've never been good at fitting in. I'd rather be the odd-ball, and maybe start something here.

My work office window:

You lucky duck. I don't have windows in my office...but if I did, I'd either be looking at a cornfield or a highway.

That's a sweet view, Morgan.

I love that people are posting photos. It's incredible to look at the cars and the people and think that this is all happening right now in different lives, accents, cities, languages, on the other side of the world.

I live where I live for a couple reasons.

One, new job! I just got this job (which required me to move many thousands of miles) and thus I live here.

Two, Hawaii! Yes, my new job is in Hawaii. :D

As far as attitudes towards atheism go, I don't know how my local area is. I suspect not particularly friendly, though. My downstairs neighbors are Mormon missionaries (they haven't tried to preach to me yet, though) and recently a couple atheists were attacked at the state capitol for protesting a sectarian prayer opening the state legislature.

No one has tried to invite me to their church or asked me where I go yet, though. So we'll see.

Hi Dave,I saw that on you tube the video of that.do you know what the outcome was?as they were in the right,it was against the constitution,were the security guards charged?I might check it out myself.thanks Dave for reminding me.
I don't know if the security guards were charged or not, I need to follow up on it.
My experience was always that Hawaiians are virtually all religious because they can't imagine anything else. Maybe "can't" is strong, and "don't care to", is more accurate. It's this cultural artifact from the stories are told from youth about how the islands came to be. At the same time, I don't recall ever having ran into anyone pushy about it.

RSS

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service