This question is directed at anyone who lives somewhere.  So as not to discriminate, those who do not live somewhere, but perhaps live somewhen instead, are also invited to participate, but only if they can explain how that works.

It's pretty open-ended really, but a few things to consider:

• Is your community open to your atheism (or other philosophy if not atheist)?
  • If so, is that a factor in why you remain?
  • If not, does this bother you?
  • If it does bother you, what keeps you where you are (family, school, can't afford to move, etc.)?
  • What other aspects, positive or negative, affect the livability of your current location?

Even if you frequently move, or do not live most of any given year at a fixed address, I'm still looking for the same basic things: what keeps you in a state of moving around so much?

N.B. Don't feel obligated to answer those subquestions I asked.  Photos, words, videos... whatever; answer however you damn well please.  I'm mostly just curious about where other TA members are coming from, figuratively and literaly.

Views: 378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Despite the talk of trips around the lake in the holiday traditions thread, for some reason I thought you were living in a coastal town.  Perhaps a person can have a coastal personality?

I grew up in the Great Lakes region (dot on the westernmost tip of Lake Ontario).  We used to take family trips to a small provincial park on the east side of Lake Huron that had beaches just like that.  I still have nostalgic longings now and then from the days when I would run and jump off of the sand dunes as a child.  Recently, I asked my mom for any pictures she had of me, and a few from this park were included.  I'd like to go back, but I worry that the dunes might have gotten much smaller.  Conversely, I might have just gotten much bigger.

I hope that reason whittles down your dear local, but if not, you might just want to try chloroform.  Once he wakes up somewhere new, exciting and interesting, he'll probably get over it... maybe.  Well, it's always a good to consider your options.

I live on the northside of Houston, Texas. It's only about half as bad as it sounds. Many of my friends are either fine with my atheism or consider it another quirk of my personality. Is the community at large okay with atheists? Not really. Then again, I don't spend much time with the community at large. It bothers me a bit that the sole reason I don't have an atheist bumper sticker on my car is because I don't want it keyed (again) but there are a few things keeping me here.

1) School. I intentionally entered a field that was highly portable. Then I went back to school and now I'm pretty much stuck in Houston for the next 2-3 years unless I can find another branch of the college with my major.

2) The joys of Houston. I'm a huge fan of museums, libraries, live music, and theater. Houston is second in the US for museums and theater. First is New York and the cost of living is far, far less here than it is there. One can use either the city or county library (I have a card for both but prefer county) and between the two there's a library within ten miles of every place worth being. The live music scene could be better but being the fourth largest city in the US means we do get all the major acts, and quite a few smaller ones, so I'm content with it. We're not Austin but Austin isn't too far to drive for a good festival.

3) Boyfriend. His custody arrangement with his ex means he can't leave the greater Houston area and still see his child. There a reason this is number three on the list. I have every intention of starting a long-distance relationship with him the moment I finish school.

4) The weather. As much I hate the fact that, in summer, you basically walk outside and your clothes are drenched in sweat, I abhor being cold. Cold is, and I will say this regardless of time of day, year or emotions of the moment, the worst feeling in world. I also adore rain and hurricane season in Houston is a beautiful, wonderful, thing.

I am planning a great escape and I have two years, hopefully, to do what everyone else in my family has done: leave Houston only to come back in a decade with your tail tucked between your legs and your eyes marveling at how much the city has changed.

"It bothers me a bit that the sole reason I don't have an atheist bumper sticker on my car is because I don't want it keyed (again) but there are a few things keeping me here."

That's funny, I live in Houston too and I've been telling my family for the past two years that I'd put an Obama bumper sticker on my car if I thought that it wouldn't get my car keyed.  What is it with Texas and keying cars?? 

I can't help but think I'm lacking as a Texan somehow because I don't see vehicles with differing opinions and key them. On the upside, I almost bought this awesome bag to prove myself loyal to car-keying but decided against it.
Ha! That's great!
Ah Vancouver. I have some crazy memories of that town. I woke up in a stranger's house there after a wedding. I had to get out of bed and surprise the shit out of the family who were having breakfast. The jerk that drove me to the place I was supposed to stay dropped me off at the wrong house and I spent the night. The people said the door would be unlocked, but to just come in without waking them and to crsh in the first room on the left. Purely by co-incidence, this family hadn't locked the door and the first room on the left was a vacant bedrooom, so it seemed like I was at the right place. Ugh, what an uncomfortable situation it was trying to explain myself to them. Once they decided my story was legit, they let me shower and even drove me downtown so I could catch a bus to the airport.
Best story ever :D

I live in North Highlands, California.  Politically, it is split fairly evenly between Democrats and Republicans.   Demographically speaking, there are just over 44,000 people in 12.8 square miles.  Most are married and Christian.  Many are Russian.  Most households make less than 50K/year with many sitting right around 15-20K.  Probably because most of the people have an associates degree or less. Temperatures rarely fall below freezing in winter and it doesn't snow.  Summer temps are hot.  Generally in the 90's, with several days over 105, and even a few over 110. 

Churches:

Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses
Emmanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Valey Christian Church
Evangel Christian Fellowship Church
Evening Light Church of God
Highlands Missionary Baptist Church
Highlands Christian Center
Slavic Missionary Church
Faith Baptist Tabernacle

I moved to California after my divorce in 2004.  My family lived in the area and although I have moved cities, I am still within a 20 minute drive from my first place here.  I am open about my atheism, when it comes up, and most people don't seem to care. The only time religion is a problem here is Halloween.  None of the Russians celebrate, and very few of the Indian/Pakistanis celebrate.   

There are only a few things going for this location, but they are important to me.  One is the cost of rent (paying 860 for a 3 bedroom townhouse).  But that will go up this summer to a price I don't know I want to pay, so I may be looking to move again.  But the location might be worth it to stay.... undecided right now.  The school my kids go to (across the street!) have been very helpful when it comes to my son on the autism  spectrum, and my college is 10 mins away.   My parents also live around the corner and provide child care to my youngest when I go to school.  That being said, if I could afford to move, to a place that meets all my wants, I would in a heartbeat. 

Good discussion topic. :]

I'm in Central Ohio. Pretty religious, but I think the people I know are very accepting of my atheism. If they're not, I don't want to know them. I drive my car with my Darwin fish and park it right next to the Jesus fish and pro-life stickers at work. No one's said anything yet. Where I work is right on the way home for some people my husband works with. At a get-together at my house, one of his friends told me he followed me to work the week before. I asked how he knew it was me and he said, "how many other Chargers are driving around here with a Darwin fish and an Apple sticker?" Good point. 

I would love to live somewhere more progressive, but, I've never been good at fitting in. I'd rather be the odd-ball, and maybe start something here.

My work office window:

You lucky duck. I don't have windows in my office...but if I did, I'd either be looking at a cornfield or a highway.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 1 Comment

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service