This question is directed at anyone who lives somewhere.  So as not to discriminate, those who do not live somewhere, but perhaps live somewhen instead, are also invited to participate, but only if they can explain how that works.

It's pretty open-ended really, but a few things to consider:

• Is your community open to your atheism (or other philosophy if not atheist)?
  • If so, is that a factor in why you remain?
  • If not, does this bother you?
  • If it does bother you, what keeps you where you are (family, school, can't afford to move, etc.)?
  • What other aspects, positive or negative, affect the livability of your current location?

Even if you frequently move, or do not live most of any given year at a fixed address, I'm still looking for the same basic things: what keeps you in a state of moving around so much?

N.B. Don't feel obligated to answer those subquestions I asked.  Photos, words, videos... whatever; answer however you damn well please.  I'm mostly just curious about where other TA members are coming from, figuratively and literaly.

Views: 433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vancouver is a gorgeous city!  I'm not much of a "city girl," but I like to visit (and I like to shop!).

I've heard a lot of great things about Vancouver. I was considering going there for school. It sounds like the urban version of the suburb I live in in Toronto! 

Live in Northern Virginia: inside the beltway, short ride into DC by car or metro.  My community is very diverse - my neighbors are from Turkey, China, India, Iran, Japan, Germany, France, Sweden, etc. etc.  There is a lot of tolerance for difference so being an atheist isn't too big a deal but I'm not shouting it from my rooftop and, in turn, the believers I know are not either.  There are pockets of extremism and the deeper you go into Virginia you'll find the mega churches and all that.  I love DC also, love the great museums (most of which are free!), monumnets, restaurants, theater (it is a great place for small, professional theater companies).  And natural beauty is close at hand (Great Falls in Virginia or Rock Creek Park for example).   So, I don't have plans to move.  I wouldn't minding living someplace else for a short time but this is home.

I live in a very small country in Europe, Belgium.  I live in one of it's biggest city's.  It's very multicultural.  I live in the heart of the city, so it's always busy around here. There is always something you do, at any time of the day of night.  That is also why I moved here, to be less noticed.  I grew up in a very small town as a member of a very small maroccan families.  So everyone knows everyone.  That means no privacy.  That's why I moved. 

I would never move from here, even if I could.  I love this city.  

The museum of modern arts is around the corner and there is a lot of cool restaurants around here to.

As for religion, most belgians are catholic, but a lot of them don't practice it.  The catholic church got a huge dent in their reputation because of all the pedofilecases coming out this year, so a lot of people turn on the church, but most people still believe in God.  

Wow that's awesome. I bet it must be great to live in Europe... so secular... :]
What a stunning place to live. I love the thought of being surrounded by so much rich culture and living history.
My brother in law is from belgium (well his parents are). They go visiting there every few years and bring back amazing photos.
I've lived here all my life, and I'm really greatful for it.  What I like here is the mix of culture.  I have friends from countries all over the world. 

Central Maryland. I live there mostly due to family, work and just being comfortable. Granted, the Winters can be colder/snowier than I'd prefer. But I can deal with it. Plus DC and Baltimore are close enough to take day trips. Around here, it seems that conservative and liberal live in well defined pockets. Some ares are very conservative (Beck/Palin fans) and other areas are quite liberal. 

I can't say that the community as a whole are accepting to Atheism. But as long as you aren't in the 'sticks' it doesn't seem to be too big a deal to people. Thus far I haven't had anyone blow up over my Atheism, but then again I don't poke those that I know listen to Limbaugh every day. We do have a pretty good sized Atheist group though.

I do like where I am though. Country  is close, cities are close, it's pretty quiet, and it's definitely not the Bible belt. lol

If I had my choice of absolutely anywhere though... I'd have a hard time picking anywhere other than England. I've never visited, but I am something of an Anglophile. :)

I am from Georgia (I live in Atlanta right now), and am currently going to Ga Tech. Atlanta is a surprisingly diverse area considering it's the South, and I have not encountered too much discrimination. However, Georgia is still in the South (known as the Bible Belt), so I still encounter a large amount of "Bible-Beaters". As far as other religions go, I honestly don't see as many Atheists/ Jews/ Muslims (in general diversity) as I would like. Soon, when I apply to medical school, I would love to move North to maybe New York City or Massachusetts :]
Any mention of Georgia makes me think of the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and the delicious characters described within. 

Greetings to another Ramblin' Wreck!

If you can, take Robert Blaskiewicz's skepticism class. He's an entertaining teacher and a fun guy.

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service