This question is directed at anyone who lives somewhere.  So as not to discriminate, those who do not live somewhere, but perhaps live somewhen instead, are also invited to participate, but only if they can explain how that works.

It's pretty open-ended really, but a few things to consider:

• Is your community open to your atheism (or other philosophy if not atheist)?
  • If so, is that a factor in why you remain?
  • If not, does this bother you?
  • If it does bother you, what keeps you where you are (family, school, can't afford to move, etc.)?
  • What other aspects, positive or negative, affect the livability of your current location?

Even if you frequently move, or do not live most of any given year at a fixed address, I'm still looking for the same basic things: what keeps you in a state of moving around so much?

N.B. Don't feel obligated to answer those subquestions I asked.  Photos, words, videos... whatever; answer however you damn well please.  I'm mostly just curious about where other TA members are coming from, figuratively and literaly.

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've lived in Colorado all my life (one year out in Washington DC) My family lived here since 1895 and my brother, my daughters, 4 grand kids and a herd of cousins live here.  I've travelled all over the state many times and I love the mountains and the people who live here.  Although the hub of right wing fundamentalism infests Colorado Springs, by in large there is a tolerant attitude throughout the state.

Their are few places in the country I would want to live in if I couldn't live here and I've been in every state in the union (except Hawaii and New Hampshire) I love road trips.  When one grows up in an area and has good memories of it they tend to stick around.  Besides with all the crap I have, moving somewhere else is just to much damn work.

I have lived in PA for 2 years now.

Before that we moved often for 5 years due to my husband's job which could relocate us at anytime.

We tried living in the south dealing with it there, the job are not easy to come by that pay anything that you can live on. So I follow him where he goes and keep our family together.

I actually do love the area of PA I live in because of the beauty that is here it would be really hard for me to leave if they ran out of work here and we had to relocate again.

His job brought us here and is what keeps us here, and is what will cause us to move if we have too.

I've heard PA is really lovely.  Lots of history there!

No, I live in a small midwestern town. My state happens to be part of the Bible Belt, so most around here are pretty religious. So, they are not open to my views.

It doesn't really bother me, because I don't expect anything different. I've lived here all my life, I know how this place works. I just grew up with it this way. But, it bothers me that it isn't something just confined to my state.

I'm too poor to move, I'm disabled (chronic illness makes it difficult, if not impossible to travel), my family is here, and the town itself is usually pretty darn safe from violent criminal activity, and we're usually sheltered from much of the violent weather that sometimes plagues other parts of the state.

I actually didn't think so far ahead as to how I plan to answer my own question.

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.  I moved here for work (from Southern Ontario) almost four years ago; however, even without securing a job, I had been considering moving here anyway.  I like the city, and as an added benefit, my brother was already living out here.

In terms of religion, no religious affiliation probably represents the largest portion of the population.  According to the 2001 census data, the lump of unaffiliated Vancouverites is equal to all forms of Christianity combined (minus half a percentage point).

There is also a pretty high level of ethnic and cultural diversity.  Almost half of the population is made up of visible minorities, some of which have much deeper Canadian roots than I, some of which are newly immigrated.  The important thing is, cultural diversity = more awesome restaurants.

The population is predominately left-leaning, which is less about politics for me and more about equality and discrimination issues.  I have a bigotry allergy; if I get too much exposure I tend to feel violently ill and subsequently temperamental.

A good public transit system, a somewhat socially conscientious public, and decent (though it could be better) environmental policy also help me show at least some respect for the planet, which is important to me.  There are also plenty of public parks, access points to hiking trails, the mountains, the ocean

Cafés, book stores, and sushi restaurants everywhere!  Being a metro, the arts (on all levels) are accessible and fairly well supported.

The downsides:

- high living costs (especially if you want to buy a home)

- problems with homelessness and drug abuse tend to get shuffled around more than actively addressed

- the city has been in a constant state of construction since I moved here

- I miss having the four traditional, distinct seasons.  'Rain' is not a season. 

So, that's a pretty random rundown.  I wouldn't mind moving just for a change of pace, but I don't see it happening in the near futre.  All said and done, I'm pretty content here, and highly un-oppressed.

Welcome to Mt. Pleasant  (the name of my neighborhood and the writing on the clock)
Yeah I'm looking at the minute hand and it looks like a couple minute exposure? It's stuff like this that makes me think that I need to step up in my DSLR and advance. I think that I have a 5 second limit.
Vancouver gets snow a few times a year, but rarely a lot of snow. The Fraser River Valley brings in cold spells, but the ocean keeps it fairly mild. But if you want snow, 20 minutes from downtown is Grouse Mountain. You can hop on a city bus with a board or skis and be there.

Yep.  The ferry from Vancouver to North Vancouver is frequently packed with skiers and snowboarders.  The metro itself might not see much snow, but the mountains and the regions beyond do.

Hectic graph, that's fascinating! Wow, Canada eh? I've heard such great things about it.
I actually think I would like Seattle or Vancouver style weather - I like rainy, overcast weather.   I know that is weird.  Don't like snow or ice and the worst for me is when it is sunny and cold, again, weird.

It's usually a question of timing.  The first year I lived here was brutal.  It never rains hard, but it is persistant.  There are weeks when it will rain Saturday, Sunday and part of Monday.  Then it would clear up Monday night through Friday morning, only to start raining Friday night and continue straight through the weekend.

Really, it's not all that bad though, and there's something to be said for hanging out in a cozy café while watching the rain from between the pages of a good book and sips of caffein (or one's drink of preference).  It's also pretty funny watching Vancouverites try to deal with snow on those very rare occasions we get any.

What I miss most is the crisp autumn air and the turning of the leaves, and also the powerful summer thunderstorms that would rip fierce gashes in the night sky.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service