This question is directed at anyone who lives somewhere.  So as not to discriminate, those who do not live somewhere, but perhaps live somewhen instead, are also invited to participate, but only if they can explain how that works.

It's pretty open-ended really, but a few things to consider:

• Is your community open to your atheism (or other philosophy if not atheist)?
  • If so, is that a factor in why you remain?
  • If not, does this bother you?
  • If it does bother you, what keeps you where you are (family, school, can't afford to move, etc.)?
  • What other aspects, positive or negative, affect the livability of your current location?

Even if you frequently move, or do not live most of any given year at a fixed address, I'm still looking for the same basic things: what keeps you in a state of moving around so much?

N.B. Don't feel obligated to answer those subquestions I asked.  Photos, words, videos... whatever; answer however you damn well please.  I'm mostly just curious about where other TA members are coming from, figuratively and literaly.

Views: 378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1) I have not been hassled about it. I live in Utah and, so far, the reaction seems to be more of along the lines of when your kid tells you they are going to kill a monster in the closet. "Well, that's really something! You just take care in there. Anyway..."

2) No, I live here because this is where my wife and I can afford and have our careers - well, she has a career. I have a job. Fucking economy.

3) Not really. I am often amazed at how secular this state is, but perhaps I shouldn't be. They are fresher off the religious persecution bus than most other states, so they tend to tread lightly. Yes, they make some fucked up laws, but anyone who wants to get around them knows how without much fuss. And, though sort of plastic, they are generally good folks these days.

4) see above

5) Just as stated. It's not a bad place to live and raise kids. I can't know, of course, but it seems far better here than in some Southern or Midwestern communities I have read about recently. I think a lot of it has to do with how you find the people you actually associate with, but there seem to be a lot a easy going types here, contrary to what you might think about LDS culture.

LDS appears to more like a business than a religion. It would be nice to have the figures on just how much property they own. I'm sure it's value is in the billions. And no taxes on it ! Bummer !
You know, I do feel that they are more of a business than a religion in a lot of ways, but the 'man on the street' here takes the religion aspect very seriously. And of course there are plenty of frighteningly out there types. And it's obvious bullshit, of course. But it could be a lot worse than it is. if it were I think I would just be poor and move. Too old to spend the rest of my life in that kind of atmosphere.
LDS appears to more like a business than a religion. It would be nice to have the figures on just how much property they own. I'm sure it's value is in the billions. And no taxes on it ! Bummer !
I stay here in Chicago to be close to my 8 year old daughter.
I'm an Altoona, Pa. Atheist. I have many friends around here who are also Atheists. We are a very small minority, but plenty loud about it.

Mile 886 Alaska Highway, in the southern Yukon, a 45 min drive from Whitehorse the capital.

It is a refuge of 1970's 80's bush hippies, and as godless as you can get.  The territory is becomming more secular all the time.

I never thought of it as being secular, but in 1982 I saw this lake and realized it was home.

I do believe that I would have a real hard time in a more religious area, I tend to argue with them on the web, so if presented with a nutter, I really have to hold myself back.

I absolutely love where I live. It's a great community in Toronto of completely diverse people from all walks of life and there's barely any judgment. I grew up here exposed to and am friends with people from a whole spectrum of economic backgrounds, religious and non-religious backgrounds, political and ethnic backgrounds. If I were to decide to have children, this is definitely where I would want them raised if it doesn't change by then. Some might think with so many different views there would be conflict but for the most part people have a "live and let live" attitude. Of course there are exceptions, but I've only come across one. Unfortunately, I find I'm the only one who really has anything to communicate about the issues with religion. Most Atheists I know from this community are simply that way because that's how they were raised and they don't really concern themselves with social problems stemming from religion or the lack of logic surrounding it. I have heard some voice concern when they personally get their toes stepped on but they don't really seem to want to create much of a stir about it. 

The place isn't too shabby to look at either, right next to the lake, not too many bustling streets, lots of wonderful bike/hiking trails and greenery.

Hi Sharon, That's about the way it is with atheists anywhere.  And that's why WE get our toes stepped on.  I didn't 'go public' until I retired 23 years ago. (business reasons), THEN I went public - big time.  Letters to the editor in response to those of preachers & zealots of any stripe. I t has been FUN, & I made a lot of friends this way.  The WEB is a huge help in letting people that they are 'not alone'.  

That's certainly why I joined this site. I like being able to voice my opinion about these things without feeling guilty. I feel guilty even talking to my Atheist friends in my community about it because we're friends with religious individuals and they wouldn't want to step on their toes even if it were a friendly discussion. They're the type to avoid conflict unless they are personally attacked. And there isn't much to really go wild about here. Even the religious mostly keep their preaching within their own community. 

So I joined this site so I could vent out all the things I wanted to say about all the issues I feel are important and you're right. It does feel pretty good!

Yeah, Sharon, I too had religious friends.  We almost never even alluded to religion, let alone discussed it.  They pretty well knew I was an unbeliever, & we accepted each other.  I do recall once, when a very close friend happened to mention that god does answer prayers, but not always the way you wanted..  I mildly replied that you could pray to a stump & get that same result.  : )  We remained good friends, but just didn't talk about religion.  This was years before I went public.

I've got one who is an "in-your-face" Christian. But she's a rare occurence in my community. I try not to get in discussions with her but we had a situation a while back that I posted about on here, actually. It was shocking to me, the way she was judging others. I was shocked that anyone who grew up in the same environment I did could think like that. I think that's the only bad part about living here. I was naive and sheltered from the hatred that a large percentage feel towards Atheism.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 2 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service