This question is directed at anyone who lives somewhere.  So as not to discriminate, those who do not live somewhere, but perhaps live somewhen instead, are also invited to participate, but only if they can explain how that works.

It's pretty open-ended really, but a few things to consider:

• Is your community open to your atheism (or other philosophy if not atheist)?
  • If so, is that a factor in why you remain?
  • If not, does this bother you?
  • If it does bother you, what keeps you where you are (family, school, can't afford to move, etc.)?
  • What other aspects, positive or negative, affect the livability of your current location?

Even if you frequently move, or do not live most of any given year at a fixed address, I'm still looking for the same basic things: what keeps you in a state of moving around so much?

N.B. Don't feel obligated to answer those subquestions I asked.  Photos, words, videos... whatever; answer however you damn well please.  I'm mostly just curious about where other TA members are coming from, figuratively and literaly.

Views: 456

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sharon, That's about the way it is with atheists anywhere.  And that's why WE get our toes stepped on.  I didn't 'go public' until I retired 23 years ago. (business reasons), THEN I went public - big time.  Letters to the editor in response to those of preachers & zealots of any stripe. I t has been FUN, & I made a lot of friends this way.  The WEB is a huge help in letting people that they are 'not alone'.  

That's certainly why I joined this site. I like being able to voice my opinion about these things without feeling guilty. I feel guilty even talking to my Atheist friends in my community about it because we're friends with religious individuals and they wouldn't want to step on their toes even if it were a friendly discussion. They're the type to avoid conflict unless they are personally attacked. And there isn't much to really go wild about here. Even the religious mostly keep their preaching within their own community. 

So I joined this site so I could vent out all the things I wanted to say about all the issues I feel are important and you're right. It does feel pretty good!

Yeah, Sharon, I too had religious friends.  We almost never even alluded to religion, let alone discussed it.  They pretty well knew I was an unbeliever, & we accepted each other.  I do recall once, when a very close friend happened to mention that god does answer prayers, but not always the way you wanted..  I mildly replied that you could pray to a stump & get that same result.  : )  We remained good friends, but just didn't talk about religion.  This was years before I went public.

I've got one who is an "in-your-face" Christian. But she's a rare occurence in my community. I try not to get in discussions with her but we had a situation a while back that I posted about on here, actually. It was shocking to me, the way she was judging others. I was shocked that anyone who grew up in the same environment I did could think like that. I think that's the only bad part about living here. I was naive and sheltered from the hatred that a large percentage feel towards Atheism.

RSS

Forum

Nude atheist group

Started by Raymond in Society 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

Socratic Method

Started by Michael in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by onyango makagutu 17 hours ago. 2 Replies

Babies Are Not Born Atheists

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by archaeopteryx 9 hours ago. 14 Replies

Gideons International

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ yesterday. 5 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

YES

Posted by Reg The Fronkey Farmer on May 23, 2015 at 5:00pm 9 Comments

The Purpose of Atheism

Posted by Pope Beanie on May 22, 2015 at 8:35pm 3 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service