This question is directed at anyone who lives somewhere.  So as not to discriminate, those who do not live somewhere, but perhaps live somewhen instead, are also invited to participate, but only if they can explain how that works.

It's pretty open-ended really, but a few things to consider:

• Is your community open to your atheism (or other philosophy if not atheist)?
  • If so, is that a factor in why you remain?
  • If not, does this bother you?
  • If it does bother you, what keeps you where you are (family, school, can't afford to move, etc.)?
  • What other aspects, positive or negative, affect the livability of your current location?

Even if you frequently move, or do not live most of any given year at a fixed address, I'm still looking for the same basic things: what keeps you in a state of moving around so much?

N.B. Don't feel obligated to answer those subquestions I asked.  Photos, words, videos... whatever; answer however you damn well please.  I'm mostly just curious about where other TA members are coming from, figuratively and literaly.

Views: 668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I live outside of Durban on a farm in South Africa. Durban is South Africa's premier holiday destination and boasts the best weather for surfing and tanning (sorry Kelltrill!). It is the second largest city but the majority of its residents are from the poorest of the poor sections of society. This makes it a truly African city, instead of a cosmopolitan hub like Cape Town and Johannesburg.

I was born and bred in Namibia like Kelltrill and absolutely would go back there today, if I had the chance. My mother (94 yrs old) and my sister a Prof in Ethnomusicollogy farm there outside of Windhoek.

I enjoy the Zulu Kingdom as it has a large variety of destinations including large game reserves, mountains (with snow in the winter!), idyllic beaches and surfing, a coast line of some 500 kms, the largest ultra-marathon in the world (Comrades), the Duzi ultra marathon canoe race, the massive sardine migration every year etc.

I am not phased by religionists and the area is relatively liberal, politically as well as from a religious perspective. The indigenous people however are very poorly educated generally speaking and as a result are extremely conservative, steeped in mysticism, animism and religions. This is starting to become an issue in South Africa as the current government is starting to reflect similar woowoo trends.  The foto is very old btw circa 1960...

Just to update the info on Durban: links to those who are interested: 

http://www.durban.kzn.org.za/index.php?districthome+23

I am exploring the idea of a volunteer vacation and just this morning I was looking at a project in Romania, Brasov to be exact....and then I saw your post!!   What a coincidence.  Anyway, I've always been interested in Romania.  My mother went there in 1974 for a conference and she met some people who took her to their village (don't know where) where she attended one of their cousin's weddings! 

hey, you've won me over.  I'm not a biologist, but I am intrested in seeing that Delta.  So when do you have summer over there?  Because I'm not really a snow person. 

I had a romanian boyfriend once, he used to talk a lot about his hometown, but I can't remember the name. Romania is not even that far, so I'm sure it's going to happen someday!

even more reason to come! :)
that is beautiful for sure.  I haven't met too many ppl from romaina.

I've wanted to go to Romania for such a long time! It's one of my top 5 places on a very loooooong list. A friend of mine in high school was born there and everything she said about it sounded amazing. More than anything I would love to see the architecture. Architecture, especially European, has always interested me. What I like about what I've seen of Romanian cities are that the buildings are so unique, like they've mixed different styles. It really is a visually pleasing place.

The members map is useful too.pretty cool in satellite view.then I suppose you could go into street view.

I live in Cambridge Ontario Canada with my wife, 3 cats and 4 ferrets.  The Grand River passes through town, and it's lovely for canoeing.  We do a few sections of it each summer.  In a couple of years we will have traveled the whole river E2E.  The old Scottish architecture, which is mostly located near our home is beautiful, but becoming more rare.  As the older buildings start to crumble, developers bulldoze them and put up concrete and glass in their place.  That makes me really sad, because it's one of the few areas of Canada where some of the architecture actually really looks very old.

The horse and buggy is something I see regularly on the way to work.  There's an Old Order Mennonite community just north of my workplace, and some of them take their horse and buggy right into town to sell their quilts and jarred goods.  The funny thing is that the head office of RIM (the blackberry company) is also a stone's throw from here, so it's not uncommon to see an old order mennonite riding his buggy in town with his kids in the back typing on their blackberry.  As long as it's black, and not connected by copper wire to the outside world, they can use it (ugh, religion, it never makes any sense).  It's kinda funny to pull up to home depot and see horse stalls.I don't have any desire to go anywhere really except further out into the country.  An old farm house would be great.  We've got some debt to deal with, but in a few years we'll be looking for such an option.

yeah, I keep saying the same thing about new york state.  I've crossed over into Buffalo, but that wasn't really such a great experience.  I'm not really the big city type, and my wife gets stressed out big time in dense traffic, but there must be so many areas of western NY state, pennsylvania, vermont, all of those states where there is farmland worth driving through for the sights.

First off, the photo comes from here and it's not mine. I just thought that it showed the city and the mountains well. 

I live in the burbs of Seattle. Family has kept me within 100 miles of them so far. I'm really only here still because I reached the top of my field and started a business 4 years ago. It's hard to walk away from established clients, so I've stayed. But due to insurance jumping 105% in one year, two years ago and then an 80% downturn in vertical construction for the last two years, I'm toast and the door is now open to moving somewhere else. 

I have not moved further than Seattle because of the combination of Mountains, Oceans and lakes. I love hiking in the mountains and Seattle is hard to beat for that. The people are friendly, but I wouldn't say that they are warm and welcoming. I could go for more genuinely inviting people. That being said, I don't ever recall having a religious problem in the Seattle area. 100 miles north, there are plenty of issues to be had, but Seattle is very liberal. I even have a friend moving because he says that there is no Republican hope in Seattle. He's very politically active and feels disenfranchised here.

The nightlife exists, but you virtually have to drive, find parking, and know where to go to find the good times. Mass transportation is limited to bus so there is no train or subway that will get me home. Going downtown includes having to monitor myself whereas staying in the burbs allows me to drink whatever I want. Plus traffic in Seattle is busy because we don't have good mass transit. Drives can be 60% longer than expected for no discernible reason. It's a hold back from us becoming a major city.    

Culturally Seattle is very diverse. Asian, India to Russia, people flood Seattle and the outlying areas. We do have some cultural pockets, but racism isn't a overwhelming problem here. We have access to virtually any cultures food or entertainment. The entertainment is also eclectic. You can watch our sports teams lose a game, or an entire franchise, and then see a symphony, play, stand up comedian or a freak show on the same night. I appreciate that in Seattle. And if you want to hear a beat up, worn out, over played, never went away so there is no nostalgic value Seattle band, there is plenty of that too.

Summer (July 5th to September 30th) in Seattle is impossible to beat. The options due to geography are outstanding. I encourage you to visit then. The rest of the year is hit and miss with it being damp and gray. Really not as rainy was you hear, but gray and moist. My wife can't wait to move, but I grew up here so I don't notice it. We'll see where life takes us next and maybe one of these stories being told will encourage me to market myself to one particular area. 

Oh, my, this is giving me wanderlust.  So many places to see, so little time.  Thanks for posting this discussion, Kris :D

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service