Really people, I don't get what's the point in arguing with really religious people... is like yelling at deaf people. Is as useful as praying for atheists to become catholics. I guess the only way we could make a difference is if people are willing to hear reasons, to make our schools teach science, to educate instead of preaching.

So why do we have to use our energy in people who doesn't deserve it? Why not trying to change through "real" ways as banning intelligent desing in our schools or banning catholic lessons in our junior highs?

Sorry for the bad english, i'm not a native speaker.

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We argue with theists because it's slowly but surely creating more of us and other Atheists need to see us being strong examples so they are less afraid to come out into the open with their Atheism.

Dan Barker, the co-president of Freedom From Religion Foundation, used to be an evangelical preacher and now he's one of the most well known Atheists there are!  :)  We MUST debate.  If an evangelical preacher can be shown the way back from the dark world of religion....so can many, many others.

Because they get in our faces and the only way to make them go away (without doing something immoral) is to argue with them until they give up on us.

Yes, they certainly do that.  They tell us to keep our opinions to ourselves, then make it impossible for us to do so.

Be careful about cornering them, however.  They can become very dangerous when you do that.  They may not attack you physically, but you can bet they will do so in every other way from then on.

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/10/word-of-caution.html

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/11/greta-christinas-r...

It is possible to sway people, not overnight perhaps, but we can plant seeds.  The trick, in my experience, is to play upon the better nature of others.  Christianity is evil. (among many other religions)  To be a Christian, one must refer to a being who allows other beings to be tortured forever 'good'.  In a non-religious context, almost everyone understands that such a being would be a monster.  We need to point out the double standard, and call upon the better nature of the Christian to stop defending the indefensible.  Don't let Christians and others set Hell aside, as they tend to do.  Make sure it comes up in any discussion of their religion, and make them feel ashamed of themselves for endorsing a being that would create it.  There are other moral problems with religion apart from Hell, of course, but this is a moral no-brainer.  We CAN sway people if we don't demean them, and if we speak to their harts as well as their minds.

It may sound crazy, but i wouldn't be so displeased with such exam. Of course, 100% is asking too much. Maybe with some easy questions just to prove everyone knows what are we talking about. Of course, that exam is senseless... but we do it in college lectures sometimes, don't we?

But the point in my question is not that, is why should we spend energy talking of something to someone who won't hear our reasons and could possibly hurt us for expressing ourselves.

It's just so much damn fun.

Life is too short. :)

I don't argue with religious people unless they start it.  And then I don't argue except with civility.  If they can't be civil there is no point in an arguement.

Because they control the world.

They are deaf.

We are blind.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service