My opinion on why we still have religions around the world is simple. I think it is equivalent to belonging to a club. You belong to a group, you fit in, you stand for what others stand for and this allows you to look down your nose at others. Other organizations serve similar pruposes. The Masonic lodges, the Knights of Columbus, the Elks... even the street gangs in the big cities. All serve basically the same purpose. They allow a person to feel he is a part of something.

Views: 300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do hope I haven't put you off.  I tend to be sort of playful and a little sarcastic in my approach, and I write very much the way I talk.  I suspect, should I continue to participate on this site, that you and I will find ourselves on the same side of many debates/discussions, and I look forward to the engagement.  I was a moderator on an atheist debate forum for several years, but my site is now defunct and I have missed having discussions like these.  I live in Texas, am a native Texan, in fact.  You can imagine how little opportunity I generally get for meaningful intellectual interaction around issues related to my atheism! 

Awesome, bring it on! Most of us here are but mere mortal males. And I'm not saying that sarcastically. :)

TJ, I only now realized that those rocks in a pile might just represent a cache of weapons. Man, am I slow, sometimes. Often.

Hi, Pope Beanie!

I am happy to be here.  I will admit that I have been lurking about for quite some time, sort of getting acquainted with the site.  But I have only recently begun actually contributing to any of the discussions. 

Thank you for the welcome! 

DOK

They've even done experiments where pigeons developed superstitious behavior.  If they happened to move their head to the left three times before a pellet dropped into the hopper, they'll move their head to the left three times to try to get another pellet.

1) Fear of death (being no more)

2) Wanting the false promise of seeing their loved ones in this so called afterlife.

In somewhat Darwinian terms, religion grossly enabled in-group vs out-group cohesion and exclusionism, which naturally led to more competition among groups for dominance of resources. Winner taking the spoils also meant winner managing the religion, and so the cycle amplifies and repeats, again and again. In some cases, extreme ideology usurped religious cohesion.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service