The title explains it all really. Why do some theists seem to take it so personally when you say you don't believe in not just their god, but any god? It just seems so silly...

Views: 381

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd wager there are a great many reasons.  Just speculating I'd say:

• Some are insecure in their beliefs, and your disbelief brings that to mind.  
  • Some are over secure in their beliefs, and are legitimately disgusted with your lack of faith.  
  • Some people are just defensive by nature and won't accept even implicit or merely perceived statements that they are misguided or wrong.  
  • Some may feel alienated from you and unable to identify with your atheism, which may leave them feeling conflicted and ill at ease.  
  • Some people are bigots.  
  • Some people might just not know how to respond so they jump on their first emotional reaction.  
  • Some may really buy into the brimstone and hellfire myths, and may actually be concerned for your immortal soul.
  • Some are zealots and tyrants who don't really care about you, per se, one way or the other, but they'll take any excuse to get righteous and make it about them.
  • Some people are just plain f'd in the head.

People, all people, respond to many things personally and emotionally when it makes no rational sense.  I think it's just in the wiring to a certain degree.

Previous reply said it all, in my opinion. Very nice.
Do you want the same answer I gave on Reddit, or a new one? :)

ah! I fellow redditor! i usually post both places hahaha and usually get two different sets of answers, both very good :)

I assumed people I have experienced like that believed it was their duty. Sort of like they were getting brownie points with god or something to speak out. I think Kris nailed it. 

Because believing in a god is the basis for their entire way of life.  They really think morality comes from religion and without religion we are without morals.  By not believing you are, in a way, saying that they are wrong, that god is a fabrication, and that the bible is a work of fiction and full of lies. 

thats how my husband, Chris, step dad gets. 

His head is so far up the bible's ass he has to rub it in Chris face when ever he sees him lol

They identify as their belief instead of as an individual, so anything that can be perceived as an attack on their beliefs is immediately translated to a personal attack. Given that existence or non-existence are the only two options, they don’t like the insinuation that their belief is wrong, but have no problem telling you that yours is.

Perhaps they feel as though we're mocking their beliefs, rather than simply choosing not to share them?

Perish the thought.

Those that take it personally have an emotional attachment to their religion or cannot bare the consquences if they are wrong.

People are idiots.

Eoganacht has it right - faith requires suspension of belief and emotional commitment. That's why I never discuss religion with those who are religious; their emotions are too tied up in their faith, and so they can never, ever see outside of their religious "box".

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 26 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 8 Replies

Ken Hamm at it again

Started by Noel in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 5 hours ago. 2 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 7 hours ago. 75 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Ed 10 hours ago. 22 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 9 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service