What am I talking about? How come when humans wander in nature and enter the habitat's of wild animals (http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/08/05/norway.polar.bear.death/...) and a human casualty results - subsequently they kill the animal? It is like this with mountain lions, bears, etc. I don't understand - we wander in their turf, what do we expect? These things are going to happen from time to time.

There was one exception - recently in Yosemite there was an attack in which the bear was simply defending its cubs so they didn't kill the bear as the visitors seemed to encroach into the bear's territory - but I just don't understand why the first knee-jerk reaction is to kill the wild animal. I actually find it sad and abhorrent. I don't know...am I getting upset over nothing??

Tags: Beat, Polar, animals, attack, life, wild, wildlife

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's the bear btw:

Shot in the head, which is poor hunter behavior. They are now checking if the flashbangs have gone off and if they were placed correctly. The boy got mauled in the head which is quite normal bear behavior, they eat the fatty brain first.

For those interested in what is happening, this is from the BSES front page.  Emphasis mine.

6th August 2011, 12.30pm - UPDATE 4

Following the tragic incident in Svalbard on 5 August, BSES has contacted every family affected and they have shown support and understanding. Our priority is providing help and assistance and our Executive Director, Lt Gen Peter Pearson is on the ground in Svalbard.

The expedition is formed of seven teams known as 'Fires' . The Fire affected was formed of eleven expedition members and two leaders. They were undertaking a long-term project to study glaciers and document changes since previous expeditions as part of ongoing scientific research into climate change. The eight uninjured expedition members of this Fire are safe and well.

Every other Fire in this expedition has returned to the base camp, safe and accounted for. An announcement will be made about their plans within the next 24 hours.

We extend our utmost sympathy to the family of Horatio Chapple who continue to ask for their privacy to be respected. The family said: "Horatio was so excited about his plans to be a doctor, strong, fearless and kind with an amazing sense of humour and an ability to laugh at himself. He was on the cusp of adulthood and had a clear vision of where his life was going."

We are in close contact with the families of those injured. Leaders Andy Ruck and Spike Reid sustained severe injuries, have been operated on at Tromsø hospital and are in a stable condition. The two participants Scott Bennell-Smith and Patrick Flinders sustained less severe injuries and are also stable after operations.

There are no other BSES expeditions currently in the Arctic region.

We will continue to focus on providing support and guidance to our expedition members and their families, and will issue further statements as we have information to release. We anticipate issuing a further update at 1800hrs BST.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service