Why do the big names in atheism freeze up when debating William Lane Craig?

I recently watched William Lane Craig's debates with Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris and in both debates, it was easy to walk away with the feeling that Craig won. Hitchens just kept saying "I haven't heard any convincing evidence..." Without refuting Craig's arguments. Sam Harris did something similar - instead of addressing Craig's arguments, he ignored them for the entire debate. Also, Lawrence Krauss, when debating Craig about A Universe from Nothing, missed an opportunity to counter Craig's (correct) assertion that the primordial soup of the universe is not nothing.

Now, I've heard refutations for Craig's arguments but neither Hitchens, Harris, nor Krauss used them and so it could seem as though they lost their debates with him. Craig even invited Hitchens to become a Christian while onstage, and was justified in asking - given their performances in the debate. Any ideas why they froze up in their debates against him?

I also noticed that Craig got first word in those debates, in which he was able to define the terms used in the debate, giving him an edge.

Finally, why doesn't Dawkins debate Craig?

Views: 2344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a wast of time it is, if there is a meaning of human life, but you miss to know it, and live your life  outside of what it meant to be. 

Of COURSE "there is a meaning of human life," - the meaning we humans bring to it by how we live our lives, the things we do, the people we touch. It is not what you say, nor what you do, but how you leave people feeling about themselves that matters.

But as for life as, "what it meant to be," who or what decided what it was "meant to be"? And could we have some of your evidence to support that?

("Darn those atheists! Evidence, evidence, evidence - is that all they ever think about?!!")

if God does not exist, and our life ends when we die physicallty, then our life has no purpose . Everything will end in the grave. What you do good or bad today, will not matter at all. 

If God exists, and created men, than he had a reason to create us. 

The evidence of Gods existence is very clear. See around you. Do you really think all there is, has no cause ? how do you think your thinking and self awareness could arise by chance from inanimated matter ? thats simply irrational thinking.....

This sentiment is so sad to me. If everything ends when I die, then I am forgetting about this vast wonderful world and the people around me. It snd they will continue on after me. I look around and see an amazing, beautiful world full of life and think - why isn't this enough? I don't think that we arose by random chance alone - this, as I stated before, is an oversimplification of evolution.

why isn't this enough? I don't think that we arose by random chance alone - this, as I stated before, is an oversimplification of evolution.

Sorry, but the evolution theory is not applied to abiogenesis......

Well we certainly didn't arise in our current complex form - yet you mentioned thinking and self-awareness. The only logical conclusion was that you were referring to evolution.

No, if god doesn't exist, and our life ends when we die physically (is there another way to die?), then our life has purpose in the physical universe in which we live. Everything will end in the grave. What you do good or bad today, will matter to those who still live. Eventually, it might not matter but so what? It matters now.

If my parents exist (which they actually do), and created me, then they had a reason to create me. Why is that reason not acceptable to you? If god exists and created the universe (excluding earth here since it's special because it was created for us to live on), then what exactly was his reason to create it all?

The evidence of god's existence is obscure, lacking in evidence, and against real evidence. See around you. All of it was caused by the big bang - I don't see any evidence for god in it. The big bang is the cause of the universe. It's not important at that point if it's irrational thinking to say that it all arose by chance from inanimate matter - it's what we observe.

RE: "if God does not exist...then our life has no purpose" - absolutely it does! First, there is Nature's purpose, the built-in Prime Directive with which eons of evolution have imbued us - the drive to continue the species.

Then there are all of the myriad purposes that we, as individuals, bring to it. You, for example, have clearly  decided that your purpose is to be a pain in the ass, and may I say, that you are performing it VERY successfully! (=; talk to the handNo need to thank me --)

RE: "Do you really think all there is, has no cause ?" - Good grief no, Charlie Brown, where would you ever get an idea like that? Everything has a cause, but we see no evidence that a supernatural spirit had any part in it.

What is clear to me, is that we possess an ability that you do not - we can, without the slightest modicum of guilt, say, "I don't know --"

As much as I like archaeopteryx's reply to you, let's waste a little time! I'm ok with it...

So you die and go to heaven...you don't have a body right? so you're just an immaterial soul. I can't make sense of how that could possibly be a good thing. The only thing I can imagine we would be - well not us, we're atheists, we're going to hell, but what you would be - is some kind of floating gaseous blob of a soul with what, a mind? So we're trapped for eternity with our thoughts, can't identify friends and family because they have no bodies, can't speak or hear because we have no bodies, and all we can do is worship some THING that we can't see, hear, feel, smell, or taste because all of those attributes, those senses are things of the body? That sounds a lot more like a hell than paradise. What if at that point you're actually worship the devil? He's supposed to be tricky like that and the only way we can know to avoid the devil is if we have our senses. And no, you can't "read the bible" in heaven to follow god's word either. Why, you ask? because you need your senses to read. And the bible is a material thing, like your body, so it's not going to heaven either. Sounds like god really screwed up this whole heaven thing. And if god can talk, you certainly can't understand him because language is a human invention and guess what, there's no human body in heaven to speak or invent language. Last thing, who wants changelessness? That's got to be the absolute worst part of the whole heaven thing... waking up every morning, seeing and experiencing the same things every single day for all of eternity - it's gotta suck.

So yes, I absolutely do not want that to be real. If heaven is perfect, "GOD" really screwed up. And all in all, the concept of heaven makes no sense not because I do not want it to make sense but because it's stupid.

Here we have a serious problem Kris K - Angie  tells us his god is a spirit and doesn't need a place to live, which would imply your description were true, spirits have none of our five senses, yet when the fictional Noah sacrificed an animal as thanks, Big Guy, the Bible tells,"God smelled the sweet savor."

Regarding eternal boredom, Woody Allen once said, "Eternity starts feeling like a really long time, especially near the end --"

Hey I said I'd only waste a little time! Lol

And I didn't say it made any sense... but I don't think god or heaven needs to make sense for Angelo to believe.

Maybe like we wouldn't be able to do those things but God is able to smell and taste things without having a body and he's able to think without a brain cuz he is like beyond our understanding so even if what we think god is like makes no sense, that's ok because god is like too amazing to conceive of...

Oh yah? yuk!

RSS

Forum

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim 19 hours ago. 13 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Virgil yesterday. 65 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose yesterday. 71 Replies

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service