Why do the big names in atheism freeze up when debating William Lane Craig?

I recently watched William Lane Craig's debates with Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris and in both debates, it was easy to walk away with the feeling that Craig won. Hitchens just kept saying "I haven't heard any convincing evidence..." Without refuting Craig's arguments. Sam Harris did something similar - instead of addressing Craig's arguments, he ignored them for the entire debate. Also, Lawrence Krauss, when debating Craig about A Universe from Nothing, missed an opportunity to counter Craig's (correct) assertion that the primordial soup of the universe is not nothing.

Now, I've heard refutations for Craig's arguments but neither Hitchens, Harris, nor Krauss used them and so it could seem as though they lost their debates with him. Craig even invited Hitchens to become a Christian while onstage, and was justified in asking - given their performances in the debate. Any ideas why they froze up in their debates against him?

I also noticed that Craig got first word in those debates, in which he was able to define the terms used in the debate, giving him an edge.

Finally, why doesn't Dawkins debate Craig?

Views: 2266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A tripod has legs.
Tripods are made by Manfrotto.
Manfrotto makes legs.
Spiders have legs.
Spiders are made by Manfrotto.

Arch has a spider infestation
Manfrotto makes spiders
Manfrotto hates Arch

(waves from a fly-by posting in the UK)

Sounds like someone is full of room-temperature beer --

You are proposing magic.

By adding a creator to the equation, you are not answering the "how," you are adding a "what" which answers nothing.

Abiogenesis, the big bang and evolution are all testable theories that have proof to back them up, and they help answer the "how we got there." Your creator has no testable evidence, or any evidence at all, it just adds an unnecessary, and according to the beliefs of the people who agree with a creator, unexplainable, element to the question.

Saying "it is complicated, therefore a creator did it," doesn't explain how it was done.

I know theists love using the automobile as an explanation to support design, so here we go.
Say that I ask you how an automobile is made... Would you point me to a video or a book explaining the process of manufacturing, and show evidence that this is the process to make a car, or would you say "Henry Ford," and just leave it at that.

To me , it is the crucial question, what was the origin of the universe, life, and biodiversity. 

Abiogenesis, the big bang, and evolution, are categorized as historical sciences, and no of them can be tested, since these events  happened in the past, and cannot be repeated.

As said previously, abiogenesis is a  hypoteses that has failed to provide answers to how life arose by natural means. Leading scientists in the field admit they have no clue how life came to be. The problems are well known, and it is more than clear today, that chance, or physical need, the only alternatives to intelligent design, fail to be conceivable mechanisms to explain the arise of life. 

Leading scientists in the field admit they have no clue how life came to be.

Evidence, please.

the only alternatives to intelligent design, fail to be conceivable mechanisms to explain the arise of life.

Evidence, please.

You are quick to deny everything we provide you, without reading, it seems. Can you please show us any evidence to support your argument?

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/2011/02/28/pssst-do...

you have not provided me anything compelling, so far. just empty and superficial assertions. how about you ask yourself, if its not you, dismissing quickly, withouth puting any thought into what i am posting ?

or isnt it, that you are just not interested in the truth ?

I'm curious, Angelo, this is SO not in your phraseology: "The problems are well known, and it is more than clear today, that chance, or physical need, the only alternatives to intelligent design, fail to be conceivable mechanisms to explain the arise of life."

Which theist website did you copy and paste it from?

no copy and paste. 

As John Lennon said - "Imagine there's no heaven".I look at it the other way and try to imagine that there is. Nope  - makes no sense,

why not ? just because you do not want to ?

Probably because he doesn't want to waste his time!

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service