The most often reasons I've heard is, "It doesn't matter", well it does matter! Don't vote because you agree with that person, vote because the other person is so disagreeable.

Thats how I feel. You?

Views: 742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is it true that lots of atheists don't vote? I vote. And to be honest, a lot of time I feel like i'm voting against someone than I am voting for someone. Or against an ideology anyway
It just seems these days that you have to vote against. Look what happened in the last election. If you can't get excited about a candidate, become adamant one. The religious right seems to be having too much say.
I don't know how accurate your statement is. I think atheists are more prone to vote because they care about issues and tend to be more aware of politics. There does tend to be some of those masochist leftist types of self-hating and anti-west atheists; but in general, atheists are very politically aware.
Sassan I am sorry if you took offence, however, I could be your grandma, judging by your picture. I did not say that atheists are not politically aware, what I said was many of us do not vote. I am trying to have people understand that they do have a voice, and that they need to use it. I vote, I volunteer, no one knows my belief or non-belief. What I want is for us to build a voting force to oppose the religious right.

We are not religious - we tend to not think with a singular mind as many of us think for ourselves. Therefore, we wouldn't be able to become a voting block that thinks one way.

And then there are some Atheists who wouldn't even look out of place in the Tea Party movement,who probably agree with everything that's said on Fox News,fan boys/girls of O'Reilly and Beck,people who you'd think would use reason and logic.just go's to show you  Deborah what a crazy world we live in.

Not really. There are just some of us who are not leftist cultists. We don't become slaves to a particular ideology and agree with some and disagree with ideas based on reason, logic, rationality, and common sense. The leftist cultists are just as bad as the rightist cultists - saying this, some of us believe in a strong foreign policy and taking the fight to terrorists and a strong immigration policy in which we actually enforce our laws and our borders. An atheist whom I very much admire who has stood on the right side of history has been the great Christopher Hitchens.

I'm not sure where the idea that many Atheist's don't vote comes from, as I haven't seen any statistics that suggest as such. That said, I haven't missed a vote since I was able to. Most of the time it felt like I was voting less for someone and rather for the lesser of two evils.
I vote. My grandnother became a citizen for that reason. The judge asked why she was requesting citizenship. Her response: Well, if I don't vote, I have no right to complain. I can't vote unless I'm a citizen." If it weren't for voting, she'd have remained a citizen of England.

She wasn't Atheist like I am, but I agree with her. I also think it'd be a slap in the face to her that she fought to obtain that right which I was born with, if I didn't exercise that right.

Do you have any links to sources stating that atheists don't vote as much as religious believers?

I choose not to vote during elections because so far, no potential candidates have impressed me as somebody worth supporting. Another aspect of the American voting system that irks me is the default towards a two party system, making voting very unappealing due to the "lesser of two evils" situation that I feel inevitably happens in every election.  I can choose between two candidates that I loathe, or decide not to vote for either of them. Because, as we all know, if you don't vote for one of the major candidates your vote is essentially worthless (sarcasm.....but that is the reaction I've received every time I mentioned a slight interest in a non majority candidate).

If the gay marriage amendment actually goes to vote here in MN, I will go out and give my two cents.

Well, when the choice is between one religious nut-job and another, it does feel kind of futile. I just voted in a local election, and the candidates policies and positions were pretty much the same. It was hardly worth the effort.

Still, the upcoming national election is pretty important, as it is between those who recognize our presence and generally protect the separation of church and state, and those who want a Christian theocracy.

I vote because I have that right.  I have friends in countries where it is not even an option.  Our forefathers and foremothers fought and died for this right so I excercise it.  Yes, the candidates in most elections suck, but at least we have some say as to choose the least suckiest. 

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service