The most often reasons I've heard is, "It doesn't matter", well it does matter! Don't vote because you agree with that person, vote because the other person is so disagreeable.

Thats how I feel. You?

Views: 748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ha! register with the government!? easier to hide if i dont vote.

Who is there to vote for? If you vote for the lesser of two evils, your still voting for evil. There's so much malicious misinformation out there that it's hard to distinguish between the lies and the truth. When I worked for GM we had the UAW looking out for our (and their) best interests, and we followed accordingly, but now that I'm retired who do I look to to help me make the right decision. We need some kind of an organization (Think Atheist?) or some kind of foundation (ffrf?) to point us in the right direction, that has OUR (atheists, humanists, etc.) best interests in mind, to give us valid information on each candidate so that if the only choice is the lesser of two evils, we'll know which one it is. So my best answer is yes I know that it's important to vote, but I don't for fear of voting for the wrong person.

Removing the EPA, CIA, FBI, Fed, min wage? Reproductive rights? What's the libertarian stance on slavery? Civil rights and equal opportunity? Removing the US from the UN? Immigration policy?

Not only the policies, but the consequences were they to be put into action.

I don't think you know what you

Ron Paul - the man who has called global warming the "biggest hoax of mankind" - the man who has said he "doubts evolution ever happened". The man who doesn't mind Iran acquiring nuclear weapons and wants to pull all our troops out of every part of the world.

It is not surprising that the 9/11 "Truthers" and other conspiracy folks tend to be Ron Paul's biggest supporters. There was a recent article about this in Skeptic magazine which is owned by Michael Shermer.

haha nice one buddy. According to your logic, we can infer that "if you are not with Ron Paul, you are not for America". 

These are from Mr. Ron Paul himself:

Paul says "nobody has concrete proof" for evolutionary theory, although he acknowledges that "it's a pretty logical theory." In his view, the intelligent-design concept has more to do with personal beliefs rather than science. "In a libertarian society these beliefs aren't nearly as critical. When you have government schools, it becomes important," he said. "'Are you fair in teaching that the earth could have been created by a creator or it came out of a pop, out of nowhere?' In a personal world, we don't have government dictating and ruling all these things; it's not very important."

Paul voiced strong opposition to federal funding for science education in 2000, saying that "Congress has no constitutional authority to single out any one academic discipline as deserving special emphasis." More recently, Paul was one of two members of Congress voting against a resolution to mark NSF's 60th anniversary.

U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas has called the concern about Earth's changing climate "the greatest hoax I think that has been around for many, many years, if not hundreds of years," based on the Climategate reports (see above). He's opposed to energy subsidies as well as government efforts to control greenhouse-gas emissions. "Pollution can be better taken care of under a private market system, under private property," he said.

The Founding Fathers envisioned a robustly Christian yet religiously tolerant America, with churches serving as vital institutions that would eclipse the state in importance. — Ron Paul

Through perverse court decisions and years of cultural indoctrination, the elitist, secular Left has managed to convince many in our nation that religion must be driven from public view. The justification is always that someone, somewhere, might possibly be offended or feel uncomfortable living in the midst of a largely Christian society, so all must yield to the fragile sensibilities of the few. The ultimate goal of the anti-religious elites is to transform America into a completely secular nation, a nation that is legally and culturally biased against Christianity. — Ron Paul

I feel like its ok to vote for the lesser of two evils. But I personally wont vote for someone I cant get behind.

I do not vote for many reasons. Firstly, I have yet to see any candidate for any office back anything I support. Secondly, it's an illusion that we the people have any say in our leaders, at least at the national and sometimes state levels. The winner is whomever has enough money to spread their bullshit as far as they can. Too many lobbies have too much influence.

If you are going to vote, vote at the local level. There's less corruption, and the propositions and issues to be voted on are going to affect your everyday life.

I only place a specific vote if there is a Green candidate. It is the only party that even comes near to representing a scientific approach to society's challenges. I'm 45, sometimes I'm not even on the voting list, sometimes, if I'm on the list, I scratch my vote in protest.

All parties "believe" in neo-liberalism, even the Humanists and communist parties "believe" in perpetual growth and dominion of H. sapiens on earth. Our western countries are not really democracies, they're cushy feodalism. There is very little reason to vote, since voting changes nothing.

We Westerners live cushy secure lives thanks to our 500 yr iron-clad dominion over the rest of the world. This power is starting to weaken. I am very interested to know if it will fade during my lifetime...

It's a shame that a) necessary vote reform isn't going to happen in short order, and b) spoiled ballots aren't counted.

Of the federal leaders, Duceppe and May were the only candidates with any guts in the last election.  I cannot (nor would I) vote for the Bloc, and the current elections system makes it very difficult for the Greens to get seats.  Harper is f'n with the per-vote party funding subsidy, thus diminishing the impact of my Green vote ever further.  

Studies show that those age 60+ vote more than any other group.  Here in CA I have voted in every election since I became 21.  No, I dont vote on all issues, but most issues.  This state can have heavy loaded ballot measures that can make your eyes glaze over.  Those 18-22 seem to vote the least.  Sad.  Maybe people simply dont think their vote matters, when they see how stuck in a rut, elected officials have become.  

Or do some people think you have to cast a vote for everything on a ballot and they dont know all the issues so they dont vote?  There have been times I have only voted for or against a few items on the ballot. The vote still counted. 

My two cents--I'm a voting atheist (even in off years),my godless heathen wife is a voter, and we take our little heathen-in-training to the polls every time.  Just because the candidates can suck (all too often) doesn't mean you can't make some sort of  statement at the voting booth and you never know what impact you might have just by showing up.  Oh, and as for showing up, the fundies don't seem to have trouble doing that at the polls--all the more reason for atheists to show up as well, even if we're politically as organized as a herd  of cats. 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

Mass extinction and loss of biodiversity.

Started by Ed in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 23 seconds ago. 2 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 62 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 45 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 16 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service