The most often reasons I've heard is, "It doesn't matter", well it does matter! Don't vote because you agree with that person, vote because the other person is so disagreeable.

Thats how I feel. You?

Views: 722

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I come from a country where voting is compulsory so I have always voted ever since I was eligible, though even if it was not I would probably always continue to vote.
It is difficult however to find candidates to represent an atheistic or secular position. The arithmetic is that while atheists will usually vote for a candidate based upon their various policy platforms rather than making a decision based upon religious affiliation, it is more likely for those who believe in god to be put off someone who does not believe.
Thus while I think it is very true that atheists are underrepresented politically, it isn't necessarily because as a group we are less likely to vote.
I have never missed an opportunity to vote although I have, more often than not, used a write in. I once voted for Daniel Dennett. Yes yes I know, "you're throwing your vote away" I prefer to vote for who I choose and frankly the candidates are, shall we say, less than appealing in most cases. Too bad really, the only reason to watch the debates it seems is for the humor resulting from the combined forces of ego and ignorance.

I never even knew he even stood for election,and what type of election was it local or state Jason?

I vote!!  It would be an interesting stat to look into.

I agree Deborah. Many atheists appear to sit idly while legislation is being made that promotes the religious agenda. One thing we can be certain of is that there is no shortage of Christian voter's in America. The only way for us to counteract this is for atheists to unite, become educated about the issues and candidates, and vote. I find that many atheists sit in the shadows because they don't want to feel like they are pushing their atheism on the world; out of their desire to be everything antitheist they keep to themselves. Many others stick to themselves because they don't feel the need to have a community of atheist friends. The problem with this line of thinking is that religion is having more of an influence in government policy, look at morons like Michelle Bachmann and the rest of her Tea Bagger candidates. It is our responsibility to stand up for the Separation of Church and State and to do this we must make our voices heard in the polls.

I am trying to organize a National Atheist Awareness Day that will allow atheists from all over the country to show America that we do exist and that we will no longer sit in the shadows while the Christian majority tries to blur the lines of Church and State. I have a post on here that explains what it is about and we can use all the support we can find.

The stats I can find say voter turnout is usually somewhere around 50-60%, so your question could easily be "why do so many people choose not to vote?"

I'm not sure if atheists as a group vote less than average voters, but atheists do tend to fall into several groups that vote less frequently. For example, the elderly and the partisan are more likely to vote and in general atheists in the U.S. are younger and more nonpartisan.

When/if they start widespread online E-voting, we'll see quite an increase in voter turnout among the youth and the non-religious. Aside from that, I'm not sure how to "fix" the problem. I admit I couldn't have cared less about politics before my 30's and barely care now, but I couldn't tell you why it doesn't matter to me. Social issues will get me riled up but the majority of political discussions make my eyes glaze over. I have to force myself to read up on issues. It's never been a subject that interests me and unlike most uninformed voters, I never felt obligated to vote for "a party" if I didn't know the candidates stance on the issues and I'm not going to waste my time throwing away a vote on Donald Duck just to pat myself on the back for having voted. Perhaps some people are more genetically or hereditarily inclined to be interested in politics and/or take the time to vote than others.

In my country I haven't cast a vote yet, neither for the local elections nor for the national ones. That's because I really can't see any significant difference between candidates so I could vote for "the lesser of two evils". However, I haven't had the misfortune of having to vote against people as crazy as the US conservatives I see on TV. If I lived in the US, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to vote for liberals because, for whatever bad stuff the might do, I can't imagine them being nearly as bad as the right wing people. I just hope I won't have to face the situation of voting against people promoting ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, as Republicans seem to do.

To rewrite your initial statement: I vote for whomever I disagree with the least, not the one I agree with the most.

I don't want to voluntarily dress up in a party or representative opinion straight jacket, and I only support and defend those political positions which happen to coincide with my own.

Also, it is everybody's civic duty to vote in a democracy. If you don't vote, your opinion is inconsequential and complaints invalid.

Here in Alabama, our choices are the Powers of Darkness vs The Evil Ones.  I do vote, but it feels a lot like spitting into the wind.

I vote.

Let's look what we have had for the last 11 years. Unprovoked war in Iraq, torture, finance system in melt down, property values falling, unemployment, bailouts to the same banks that put us here and the same politicians get voted into office. Oh and we can't tax those with the money cause they are creating jobs, yea right!

Look at any politician at the national level and google where they get their money to run and you will see how they will vote on legislation.

Obama is more secretive on many levels than even Bush. We are now in 6 unfunded wars.

Anybody vote for this?

Well, I wasn't aware of any statistic relating to this, but some people don't vote, since there isn't very many difference between the two political parties. They both usually only play lip service and pander to specific corporations allied with either one of the two parties. Some people don't play with the lesser of two evil crap, after all which is better, a turd sandwich or a giant douche bag? (South Park FTW) Then again, there is the fact that many people, including atheist just don't care about politics.

I do not generally vote due to lack of belief in the system. If pressed I will vote defensively-to lessen what are infringements of liberty. I disagree with those who proclaim that non-voters have no right to complain. Rather, I follow George Carlin on this, who said voters in fact are the ones that cannot complain, as they approve of the system by participating in it. I am well aware of the people who fought for this right, and those who are still denied it. Holding that right entails my choice not to exercise it, and doing so in a way others do not approve of. In any case, my single vote will not change things. It is a civic ritual without real substance.

I also will not vote for the "lesser of two evils". By definition, that would still be evil. If you cannot find anything to vote for, do not at all. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service