The continent has most of the world's most poisonous snakes, not only on land but in the ocean. It has the world's largest crocodiles, and one can be devoured by one in or near the ocean or a river, and then out in the surf great white sharks abound. And I haven't even mentioned box jellyfish, blue ring octopi, stone fish, or the red backed and funnel spiders.

If ever a land was saying "Go away, people," it's Australia.

Add to all this that Sydney, strangely, is one of the most expensive cities on Earth and that you're so far from the United States (where everyone wants to go) and why would anyone live there, much less WANT to live there?

So, why are there people in Australia? What explains it?

Yes, and of course I'm being tongue in cheek. I'm sure there are many reasons to risk the many ways to die there.

Tags: australia

Views: 2332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And who can forget the rabbit we love to hate --http://livingempowered.areavoices.com/files/2011/05/EnergizerBunny.jpg

Because, like bats, they enjoy sleeping upside down. G'dai mate!

Ah, Koalas - just like most Australians, they are perpetually drunk, and sleep all day - and, oh, yes, they are also extremely dangerous and stink to high heaven - just another reason not to come, eh!

Melbourne is cheaper than Sydney. Sydney is only for the elite who can afford it. We are extremely picky who can come here, and keep up with the elitist lifestyle.

Don't know nor care what line of work you are in - just saying we are very picky.

Forgot to say, we also have kangaroos that can rip your stomach out - they are really the ones to watch.

About the artist - never heard of him - just another would be, trying to be contentious to get publicity. There was a photographer called Bill Henson, who got his stuff removed - they were photos of fourteen year olds. They try to get it though by calling it Art - no talent, just trying to be noticed - doesn't work. Don't exploit underage kids to promote oneself - these blokes are just inadequate, both as males and as artists - sad, really.

I keep on saying 'Pleeassee! Do not go to America, you never know what may happen -, you just may get shot'. So, what happens, an Australian, jogging along, minding his own business, does just that - gets shot.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/teens-on-a-killing-spree-when-the...

I keep on saying 'Pleeassee! Do not go to America, you never know what may happen -, you just may get shot'. So, what happens, an Australian, jogging along, minding his own business, does just that - gets shot.

Visiting Australians. We shoot dozens of them daily. 

You are aware that most shootings here are between ethnic minorities in their neighborhoods. It doesn't mean anything. It's senseless. He wasn't shot because he was Australian, he just walked into a murder that was going to happen to whomever came along. 

On the average, a visiting Aussie is far less likely to be shot than the average American, because most visiting Aussies going about their touristy business simply aren't going to end up in the most dangerous areas.

Obviously, that's not much consolation to his friends and family.

If you're intent on stirring up the Ozzies, consult a Kiwi. The rest of us aren't in their league ;)

It was a circus when we lived in Vanuatu as they were always at one another in a friendly-pretend it's friendly-kidding manner.

I spend a lot of time scuba diving from one resort at which the dive shop manager was a Kiwi who really liked to have on the Ozzies. One could tell the Ozzies from any other group when in the water as they were so much more efficient swimmers and would often swim out to the island rather than to take the shuttle. I did that one time only....

The Ozzies were very concerned over sharks while the rest of us considered the possible shark risk as something from a book. Before entering the water to swim out, an Ozzie would always ask if there were any sharks. Mike had a talent for timing and would shout back, "No, there're not sharks here, Mate!". Then just as the Ozzie was committed in their dive, he would add, "The salt water crocs have got them all!"

The expression until they realized that he had to be kidding, then the niggling doubt was side splitting! Again, we others had only an academic understanding of salt crocs.

There was no group of happy, smugly superior people than the local Kiwis after a couple of very drunken Ozzie tourists were apprehended while dancing naked in the rain on main street. It simply made their year to be able to express their shock and dismay at such behavior. :)

@Unseen - So, you think this moron got his 'Art', and, in this case, I use that term very loosely, because of a cushion???

A 'collage' which takes no talent, not a painting, not a sculpture just bits of pictures stuck together. Why did he use Justin Beibers head, another no talent, with an adult penis - just to be controversial, just to get noticed, and it worked, so, I guess that is something. I thank you Unseen, for bringing yet another no talent to my attention. this bloke doesn't support his own art, he relies on the council to pay for his exhibitions. If he had any talent, he would be at least able to put on a couple of shows a year without using taxpayers money. Now that, I resent.

Most of us were born here... others immigrate from the first world countries for a change of pace and work... others still immigrate to get away from the shithole they came from.

First of all, don't be so arrogant as to believe that everyone wants to go to America. One hundred years ago, maybe, but today I doubt it. Of the 270 or so industrialized nations on this planet, 180 or so are equal or better places to live than America.

Secondly, When Australia was first colonized by the British, it was a prison colony, and a place most people really didn't want to go. Now though, it produces some of the best minds the human race has ever known, as well as being an amazingly beautiful place to live, or even visit. The predators that you mention follow that same age old boy scout advice that every other predator on the planet follows, "It's more afraid of you, than you are of it." Snakes, Crocodiles, and spiders do what they can to make their territories away from human habitation. The problem is that Humans have no respect for these animals territories. The reason crocs and snakes wind up in somebody's pool or garden, is usually because there was really no other place to go. Steve Irwin, despite his one screw-up with at sting ray, actually harped on this subject quite a bit.

And with 7,000,000,000 people on this planet, somebody's got to live there, unless you'd like to take in a few roommates.

America would be quite far down my list of ideal countries also as things are not as good there as Americans who have not lived elsewhere like to believe. If one looks at the huge education gap compared with other industrialized countries, the debt and that there is no interest in taming it, fundamentalist religion's increasing influence. Frightening!

The reason crocs and snakes wind up in somebody's pool or garden, is usually because there was really no other place to go.

Like I said. People don't belong there. Australia is telling humans "Go away. We don't want you here."

By that logic, every place in the universe is saying that. Louisiana has gators, the west has deserts, Colorado has 200 foot drops without guard rails, Texas has the Bush and Perry families... Humans are pretty much dicks. Sometimes we remind me of the Vogons from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Only 200 feet?  No wonder we have so many damn Californians here fucking this place up via the voting booth.  It takes at least 300 feet to reliably wipe them out.

It's probably too late to fix it, the Coloradoans make up a minority of the votes now.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service