The continent has most of the world's most poisonous snakes, not only on land but in the ocean. It has the world's largest crocodiles, and one can be devoured by one in or near the ocean or a river, and then out in the surf great white sharks abound. And I haven't even mentioned box jellyfish, blue ring octopi, stone fish, or the red backed and funnel spiders.

If ever a land was saying "Go away, people," it's Australia.

Add to all this that Sydney, strangely, is one of the most expensive cities on Earth and that you're so far from the United States (where everyone wants to go) and why would anyone live there, much less WANT to live there?

So, why are there people in Australia? What explains it?

Yes, and of course I'm being tongue in cheek. I'm sure there are many reasons to risk the many ways to die there.

Tags: australia

Views: 2300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

May I politely suggest you get your metaphorical crotch guard in place before Suzanne Olson-Hyde wakes up?  Just a thought.

Oh, she can't take a joke?

No idea - you want to gamble?

What are the stakes?

Bit late to ask, now :)

And I very politely neglected to mention that here in the United States we have The Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks, several mountain ranges (Appalachian, Rockies, Cascades, Sierras), while they have a big red rock. Big Deal!

And we have far fewer hostile reptiles, fish, and insects, too. Here, the main risk is people, which is as it should be.

Isn't Yellowstone on fire at the moment?

Not sure. I know Yosemite is NEAR a major fire and is threatened.

Forest fires are a natural phenomenon and are going to happen from time to time. Here we have the problem that we put them out before they can do what nature needs them to do, so that when the unburned part burns next time, it becomes a more major fire.

5,000 homes threatened I think I read.

@Unseen;

" I know Yosemite is NEAR a major fire and is threatened."

If Yosemite is a location (as any map will indicate) and a major fire is an event...then...isn't the major fire NEAR Yosemite as opposed to the other way round? :D

That is probably a bit more precise way to put it.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service