The continent has most of the world's most poisonous snakes, not only on land but in the ocean. It has the world's largest crocodiles, and one can be devoured by one in or near the ocean or a river, and then out in the surf great white sharks abound. And I haven't even mentioned box jellyfish, blue ring octopi, stone fish, or the red backed and funnel spiders.

If ever a land was saying "Go away, people," it's Australia.

Add to all this that Sydney, strangely, is one of the most expensive cities on Earth and that you're so far from the United States (where everyone wants to go) and why would anyone live there, much less WANT to live there?

So, why are there people in Australia? What explains it?

Yes, and of course I'm being tongue in cheek. I'm sure there are many reasons to risk the many ways to die there.

Tags: australia

Views: 2392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe that is close to a word or phrase that means something in French while also functioning as a pun of some sort. Of course, maybe it's just a fun expression. I'm sure they hunt and eat raccoons.

Can't say, and I don't know that that applies to all, but the ones I've known were quite proud of the title. One Realtor I knew went all around a National Realtor's Convention, telling everyone he met, "Ah'm a CoonAss!"

So I wouldn't think the term to be derogatory - upon meeting one, however, I think I'd withhold use of the term until indicated it's OK. Just sayin' --

I had a prick of a boss years ago, who once, on being told he had a great memory, proudly tapped his temple and said in a broad Scottish accent, "Never forget! (tap tap) I'm anal retentive!".

I never did forget.

Somehow, I can't imagine you with a boss, or anyone telling you what to do, for that matter.

Which end was he tapping?

You're right, I wasn't textbook employee material really...

I bet that made him a real chick magnet.

Longfellow certainly intersected some interesting geography!

His poem, "The Bells of San Blas" refers to the church bells of the small town of San Blas just north of Peurto Vallarta, Mexico. How was he even aware of that place?

Yes, I know that Google searches show but thinking of the time and remoteness....wow!

Actually, you're both right, technically - they came from the French who settled Canada, so indirectly, they came from France, just as many of us came from England, however reluctant we might be to confess it.

Yeah, but she was thought the idea they came to Louisiana from Canada was bunk.

So turn her on to Longfellow, a little culture never hurt anyone.

The usual reason is that the person was born there, and has not yet been bitten by one of those venemous things in or around the continent.  There are, however, a bunch of people who die trying to get there by boat after paying someone their life savings.  Spoils all the fun of dying when you get there.

@ Rosemary LYNDALL WEMM;

"There are, however, a bunch of people who die trying to get there by boat after paying someone their life savings. "

America has those too, they're called Cubans.

Which proves the point that there are countries much worse then countries with dangerous animals and countries with young men who will murder college students for the fun of it.

I wish there was a perfect place to call home. :(

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Unseen 24 minutes ago. 14 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Virgil 52 minutes ago. 30 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 21 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 63 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service