The continent has most of the world's most poisonous snakes, not only on land but in the ocean. It has the world's largest crocodiles, and one can be devoured by one in or near the ocean or a river, and then out in the surf great white sharks abound. And I haven't even mentioned box jellyfish, blue ring octopi, stone fish, or the red backed and funnel spiders.

If ever a land was saying "Go away, people," it's Australia.

Add to all this that Sydney, strangely, is one of the most expensive cities on Earth and that you're so far from the United States (where everyone wants to go) and why would anyone live there, much less WANT to live there?

So, why are there people in Australia? What explains it?

Yes, and of course I'm being tongue in cheek. I'm sure there are many reasons to risk the many ways to die there.

Tags: australia

Views: 2169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@SteveinCO - She probably was assuming it was in Austria.

@Adam - That is exactly what happened - we ruined a culture at least 40,000 years old in a mere two hundred years, and now we are one big mining hole.

Then we are at cross purposes in communication rather than as to principle which is what I /expected/hoped. I did not take offense because I thought that you would not have meant the comment to offend but simply labelling what you perceived. The qualification of "otherwise" was what lead me to interpret that my position was morally unacceptable.

My character has significant flaws, some which have yet to manifest, I fear. ;)

Not offended by you although would have been had some other people made the same statement.

I'm not entirely sure who you're addressing, Norm - I looked back three pages and can't seem to find a comment this one relates to - could you elaborate?

You posted: <"   Mr. Norm Keller here, an otherwise nice guy from Canada, a country noted for its nice people, has expressed a belief, Mak, that that concept is a myth (see page 7) - having yourself lived through the Moi era in Kenya, is there anything you can contribute to that discussion?   ">

The "otherwise" seemed to qualify that I was not a nice guy because I expressed a particular belief. Not wanting to bat this back and forth because am not insulted and mostly attempting to have you on over religating me to the back of the bus. (VBG)

Not certain about your reference on page 7 but might be my concern regarding general demonization of politicians? Yes, that is my concern but not understanding why expressing that belief would lower me to "otherwise". Surely there are other crimes of my commission? ;)

Blimey, you guys.  Norm, you posted somewhere back there that money doesn't just slip into politicians pockets, and Arch asked Onyango to point out the bribery levels in Kenya to you, whilst noting that you were a nice person in case his request to Mak (Onyango) seemed to invite a disparaging statement.  There we go, all cleared up.

It's always like this, isn't it Arch?

Just when we're really getting into, "He poked me! No, he did it first! No I didn't!"

Some woman comes along and makes us stop.....

Can't we have any "guy issues" without being spanked?

(Running for cover)

Oh, and thanks for spoiling my fun, Strega, I had him going for a bit. ;)

No charge

Yeah, she can be a noodge from time to time.

I got your noodge, poultry-man

Cheep!

Well, there was "Peurto Vallarta," but I wasn't going to mention it, being the polite, tactful guy I am, but since you asked --

No, it's Puerto Vallarta, ergo the quotation marks.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service