I think it is obvious that Christianity has become mostly benign and secularized for the most part and I don't see Christians subjugating their women and executing gays in the ways that take place in the Islamic world due to the quran and Hadith (the Hadith is the so-called writings of the prophet and his followers in which Islamic Shariah law is based from); but I see too many atheists tending to bash Christianity and giving excuses for Islam. Why is this so when according to the Islamic faith, we atheists are "kafar" should be the first ones killed before the Christians and Jews (especially me, since I am an apostate since I was "born" a Muslim); therefore, why do atheists tend to give excuses for the true evils of the Islamic faith??

Jesus Christ as a symbol (whether he was a real person or not) is a much better role model than the child molesting, murderous, and evil "prophet" called Muhammad. The Bible doesn't demand governments to be Christian but the Quran demands that all governments be Islamic by nature and the punishments are much more bizarre. In Islam, you can not even ask any questions about Muhammad or Allah but Christians and Jews are able to debate within themselves and ask questions. When a cartoon is drawn or a quran is burnt you see how savagely Muslims act throughout the world and those who are "moderate" instead of condemning the barbaric acts blame the "Salman Rushdie's" or the "Pastor" instead of placing blame on the perpetrators and culture of violence in the Islamic world. So why is it, that Christianity is often (in my opinion) overly criticized and Islam is not criticized enough when the gravest threat to the existence of the human race is surely an Islamic regime with nuclear weapons?? I'd like to get your opinions..

Tags: Atheism, Bible, Christianity, Hadith, Islam, Politics, Quran

Views: 1713

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think because they have a Christianity-back ground so they don't know Islam as well as Christianity..
The same attitude can be seen when reading which atheists  of islamic back-ground write .Always muslim complain of bash Islam but not Christianity.

And  agree with you that moderate Islam is  a myth . But  modernized  Muslim criticized   some  aspect of their religion are existing . In fact by the sharia low those modernized muslin should be punished

I too have pondered this peculiar phenomenon of Atheists often being more defensive, and protective of the religiopolitical entity of Islam than many Muslims themselves are. It is astonishing to see Atheists rush in to defend Islam from criticism. Some will vehemently deflect all criticism away from Islam at every turn for even the most egregious acts of willful inhumanity and pre-enlightenment religious barbarism being perpetrated by large numbers of Muslims around the world who are acting under the guidance of their archaic 7th century Qur’anic doctrine.

On the face of it this would seem absurd and inconsistent behavior for an Atheist to engage in when these self same Atheists are virtual wrecking machines when it comes to assiduously, and gleefully critiquing Christianity, and Christians for any and all relatively minor (relative to this for instance: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1378c00ef5 ) social annoyances. We seldom/never hear these religion defending atheists coming to the defense of Christianity and Christians by accusing other atheists of being ‘racist’ against the Christians, or that we shouldn’t blame all the Christians just because some of them are against gaiety or drive-through abortion clinics or whatever, and we never hear them tarring us with loaded attack words such as ‘Christanophobic‘ when we rail against some doctrine of the Christians, yet they do all that and worse in defense of the religion they love best of all, Islam.

Many here have indicated that the reason for these religion defending atheists queer behavior may be the fact that many atheists have only ever been impacted by the predominant Christain culture they live in, and don‘t much care that the more dangerous religiopolitical fascist entity is having deleterious effects upon other people around the world, and while I agree that this is part of the explanation, I feel that there is more to it than that.

Unfamiliarity with the tenets, teachings and foundations of Islam is not the reason these atheists defend, shield and protect Islam from criticism! I believe the most crucial element is that those Atheist defenders and front line supporters of Islam are so overly obsessed with their hatred of Christianity that they are in fact now better described as being more Anti-Christian, than they are just an Atheist. Since Christianity and Islam are on opposite sides of the same coin, the Anti-Christians perhaps feel an affinity for whoever Christianity is against. If Christians don’t like Islam, and they also don’t like Atheists, then I guess those Atheists feel some bond of kinship with Islam. They are all just brothers struggling against the great evil of Christianity, and the they will all denounce the Crusades as justification for whatever barbarity Islam is now visiting upon the world. The rationale being that the enemy of my enemy, is my friend.

It is weird to see atheists deflect criticism of the atrocities being committed under the auspices of the Koran by using them as a springboard to sidetrack the issue into an attack on Christianity and Christians on the flimsiest of grounds, and some will even attempt to deflect the heat away from Islam by saying that however bad Islam may be, we must grant that all religions are just as bad or just as evil. I believe only an anti-christian who is blinded by an intense hatred for Christianity could be so wilfully blind as to place Islam into the same category as Wicca, Jainism, Scientology and other less lethal religions in order to deflect criticism of Islam. But that’s what hatred can do to a person I suppose. Hatred can put out your eyes, and turn you into a monomaniacal Islam supporting Anti-Christian/atheist who would seemingly be quite happy to jump out of the Christian frying pan we now live in, directly into the Islamic Fire, if it meant that the bane of these anti-christians existence could be made to suffer.

I am sure you meant to make some sort of coherent argument, but like others - only even less convincing - in order to lend some plausibility to the complaint of insufficient Islam critique, you must posit that most atheists are not really atheists, rather they are for the most part just angry, frustrated, fixated "anti-Christian brothers," hypocrites: worthless "dhimmi" (copyright Giselle Litmann) backstabbing bastards who put out their eyes with hatred?? They are "kinship" heretics, who should be excommunicated from real true atheism and kicked out of the country to go live under Sharia somewhere.

And I have yet to see the first commenter comparing Islam to Christianity favorably, but the whining is steadily getting more pathetic as our poor oppressed, silenced minority of real true atheists feed off each others martyr complex.

Nice going.

I am not complaining that atheists should critique Islam more than they do, or that they should critique Christianity or any other religion, but I was merely passing comment on the disparate treatment and sheer oddness of Atheists defending and supporting one religion when they so vehemently critique another. Do you not think that odd at all? It seems strange to me, so I offered my take on it, which you are welcome to find unconvincing as you see fit.

As for YOUR suggestion that those Atheists should be "kicked out of the country to go live under Sharia somewhere", I think you know as well as I do, that Atheists would not last long in a Shariah governed state, so they would have to convert to Islam if they savored their lives, and I would not wish that upon anyone whether they were merely an anti-christian or an atheist.

Yes that was MY exaggeration, just to show you how cheap that tactic is and why you should consider to quit that kind of behavior. Though it is a pretty linear extrapolation and not that much further either.

"Atheists often being more defensive, and protective of the religiopolitical entity of Islam than many Muslims themselves"

"..yet they [atheists] do all that and worse in defense of the religion they love best of all, Islam."

"..they are in fact now better described as being more Anti-Christian, than they are just an Atheist."

"..those Atheists feel some bond of kinship with Islam."

"They are all just brothers.." [atheists and Christians persecuting Muslims]

"But that’s what hatred can do to a person I suppose. Hatred can put out your eyes, and turn you into a monomaniacal Islam supporting Anti-Christian/atheist.."

And now you say "I am not complaining that atheists should critique Islam more than they do" while in the very same sentence atheists are blamed for "defending and supporting" Islam. So I have to take a step back and ask you whether you are taking yourself seriously at all?

To compare them as "equally destructive" is favoring Islam by not facing the realities of the world. That in essence is excusing Islam.
So now we have a new dynamic in the discussion, not only do you want others to fight this fight but they must share your fear equally, well hell you could have said so up front.
?? I am confused. I think the point has been made throughout this thread that those who say "all religions are equally" are simply naive. To claim Islam and Christianity are "equal" in terms of violence and barbarism is either by being naive or a liar.

Sassan your words "but I see too many atheists tending to bash Christianity and giving excuses for Islam."Where are the excuses, we don't show enough hate for your liking, that is giving excuses?

And then you go on to say Xtianity  "(in my opinion) overly criticized and Islam is not criticized enough...." now you want to give excuses for Xtianity? Your logic not mine.

Admit it this whole thread is about you wanting Iran invaded by the west so you can be more comfortable when you go back the country you love and would be willing to hold down a government job to do your part.

Again, I don't hate anyone - even extremist Muslims. I don't have hatred in my heart. I have pity and despise. And again, it is about facing the realities of the world rather than living in a fairy tale - makes an atheist sort of like a deist in living in a sort of delusion.

And it has nothing to do with "holding down a government job in Iran". My goodness, don't you know how to read between the lines? I said with my psychology major I am considering a career in a certain segment that my degree can help.

It has to do with wanting my country free from barbaric madmen who has hijacked my homeland and continue to kill and rape at will. BTW, I know it is confusing but I consider myself both American and Iranian and I have the citizenship for both.

"And it has nothing to do with "holding down a government job in Iran".

Of course not to close to danger, you will stay in the west. You are about others doing the heavy lifting while you tell us how to think, fear will be good for business.

How the hell do you know what I may want to do for a career? You are quick to make assumptions about things you have no clue about.

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 3 hours ago. 32 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Noel 6 hours ago. 9 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 11 hours ago. 64 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 18 hours ago. 12 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service