I think it is obvious that Christianity has become mostly benign and secularized for the most part and I don't see Christians subjugating their women and executing gays in the ways that take place in the Islamic world due to the quran and Hadith (the Hadith is the so-called writings of the prophet and his followers in which Islamic Shariah law is based from); but I see too many atheists tending to bash Christianity and giving excuses for Islam. Why is this so when according to the Islamic faith, we atheists are "kafar" should be the first ones killed before the Christians and Jews (especially me, since I am an apostate since I was "born" a Muslim); therefore, why do atheists tend to give excuses for the true evils of the Islamic faith??

Jesus Christ as a symbol (whether he was a real person or not) is a much better role model than the child molesting, murderous, and evil "prophet" called Muhammad. The Bible doesn't demand governments to be Christian but the Quran demands that all governments be Islamic by nature and the punishments are much more bizarre. In Islam, you can not even ask any questions about Muhammad or Allah but Christians and Jews are able to debate within themselves and ask questions. When a cartoon is drawn or a quran is burnt you see how savagely Muslims act throughout the world and those who are "moderate" instead of condemning the barbaric acts blame the "Salman Rushdie's" or the "Pastor" instead of placing blame on the perpetrators and culture of violence in the Islamic world. So why is it, that Christianity is often (in my opinion) overly criticized and Islam is not criticized enough when the gravest threat to the existence of the human race is surely an Islamic regime with nuclear weapons?? I'd like to get your opinions..

Views: 3538

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

UK the official religion is the Church of England, everyone pays into it.
Yes, I never disputed it. But the U.K. is still a secular country and the monarchy holds no legislative power.
Only someone like you can claim that Britain is not a secular country.
The less Christians are converted means the more Secular viewpoints and help we can have in our ideological fight against Islam. Right now , the Christians don't care at all. They probably don't understand how powerful indoctrination is of Islamic cultures or how deadly and dangerous they are because they are blinded as to how indoctrinated THEY are in their own religion.

But Islam is criticized less because they throw adult fits and instead of crying like babies , they murder people.
I think religious fundamentalism is evil, makes no difference which religion it is. But I must agree with you, Sassan, Muslims have got it over all others where adherence to dogma is concerned. The laws and punishments are left over from the "Dark Ages".
I agree Heiko, all religion is fundamentally evil and based on irrationality and a lack of logic which naturally creates divisions and if it comes down to it, violence. Just some are more primitive and easily roused with violence than others!

I find many UK atheists spend far too much of their time bashing Islam since 9/11. I find in many of their writings what could best be described as wartime propaganda

Anyway, its like they told ume in Sunday school:  "Bloom where you are planted."

I think, in a sense, there is such a thing as a Christian Atheist or Islamic Atheist or Jewish Atheist.  The predominant teaching you receive while you are far too young to make a rational decision of whether you want this religion or some other or none at all? 

I don't believe in the same God you don't believe in.

I disagree. Those in the U.K. have the problem with homegrown Islamic radicals and terrorists. Forget 7/7?? The way the Muslims in the U.K. segregate themselves and are fundamentalist is not a way that we can even imagine back home here in the U.S.

The only thing that exists (with what you are mentioning) are Jewish Atheists since being Jewish is first and foremost a race before a religion. In Israel, there is a high % of Jewish atheists (estimated 10-20%) and the founder of Zionism Theodor Herzl is believed to have been a Jewish atheist.

Personally, I think we hear so much more about Christianity is because the majority of us are almost constantly exposed to Christianity or are at least surrounded by it. Because you are familiar with it you tend to know more about it, and becomes a more pressing issue in your mind. That said, when Islam comes up I pull no punches that I would have thrown at Christianity. Now, there are those that do give Islam some leeway. But I simply don't understand why. Maybe they are just anti-Christian and they get the 'enemy's enemy is my friend' complex. Of maybe it's the will to distance themselves from the right-wing like you said. Whatever the reason, I see no justifiable explanation. To me Christianity, Islam, etc are all open to the same levels of criticism.
thx for your input Jeremy :)

I haven't been able to read the whole thread, but I have not personally seen ANY atheist make excuses for Islam.  I'm sure you've provided some examples by now, and I'll have to try to look at them later.  Anyway, most of us Atheists in the US tend to focus on criticizing Christianity, but only because it's the more prominent religion here.  It's the one we're more likely to encounter in our daily lives.  It's not like we give Islam a pass.

Every prominent atheist I can think of views Christianity and Islam as at least equally absurd, or, if anything else, even criticize Islam MORE due to recent extremist terrorism, oppression of women, etc.  For example, I know Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris both cite 9/11 as the catalyst for their outspokenness on Atheism.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service