I think it is obvious that Christianity has become mostly benign and secularized for the most part and I don't see Christians subjugating their women and executing gays in the ways that take place in the Islamic world due to the quran and Hadith (the Hadith is the so-called writings of the prophet and his followers in which Islamic Shariah law is based from); but I see too many atheists tending to bash Christianity and giving excuses for Islam. Why is this so when according to the Islamic faith, we atheists are "kafar" should be the first ones killed before the Christians and Jews (especially me, since I am an apostate since I was "born" a Muslim); therefore, why do atheists tend to give excuses for the true evils of the Islamic faith??

Jesus Christ as a symbol (whether he was a real person or not) is a much better role model than the child molesting, murderous, and evil "prophet" called Muhammad. The Bible doesn't demand governments to be Christian but the Quran demands that all governments be Islamic by nature and the punishments are much more bizarre. In Islam, you can not even ask any questions about Muhammad or Allah but Christians and Jews are able to debate within themselves and ask questions. When a cartoon is drawn or a quran is burnt you see how savagely Muslims act throughout the world and those who are "moderate" instead of condemning the barbaric acts blame the "Salman Rushdie's" or the "Pastor" instead of placing blame on the perpetrators and culture of violence in the Islamic world. So why is it, that Christianity is often (in my opinion) overly criticized and Islam is not criticized enough when the gravest threat to the existence of the human race is surely an Islamic regime with nuclear weapons?? I'd like to get your opinions..

Tags: Atheism, Bible, Christianity, Hadith, Islam, Politics, Quran

Views: 1402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just watched the video about the law of homosexuality for Islamic people and that was horrible, I wish all the religious people like in that video should be dropped into a whole filled with nails and tear gas then have a 2 ton block of concrete slowly lowered on them, makes me sick to see any religion think that murder is the answer for punishment, shame on islams, christrians,and every other religion filled with mentally blind beings.
Exactly. Unfortunately, most of the Islamic world feels that homosexuals should be executed. You think it is bad for homosexuals in the U.S....
This short video clip by Musab Hassan Yousef reflects exactly what I have been trying to express in a precise and clear manner:

I was going to chime in, but then I saw this post and decided I couldn't explain it any better.
I honestly don't know that much about Islam. I mean, they went over it in school briefly, but I paid little attention aside from what would be on the exam because it was just another religion I couldn't relate to. I remember the details the way I remember Greek or Roman mythology. I don't remember ever really talking to any Muslims about their faith or what it meant to them. The few Muslims I know seem like everyone else aside from the dietary restrictions so I've never given it much thought from an Atheist perspective. My big thing is I don't like to be preached at, and that has not been my experience with the Muslims I've worked with. I don't have any Muslim friends, though not by choice.

I will say that there is a stigma about discussing Islam in a negative way. The mood of our country has been tense for years following 9/11. I have believed what I've been told about non-extremist Muslims because I don't have anything to support the contrary. If you say they are not true Muslims I believe you. But I've always tried to let people be if they don't interfere with my life. I'm not interested enough to read up on it, I'm afraid I'll just get angry and would have no ability to effect change anyway. But I understand your perspective and I agree that most atheists are very Christian-centric in these discussions.
thx for your input :)
Until Muslims understand that the problem is with the radicals of their faith and their fundamental beliefs, the violence of terrorism will always exist. The biggest problem in the Islamic culture is a lack of personal responsibility and always blaming an "outside party" (particularly Israel, America, and the west) instead of realizing the problem is the Islamic faith and culture itself. It is no surprise that there is not a single true Islamic democracy in the world and that Islamic societies tend to be poor, oppression, and violators of the basic tenets of human rights and women's rights.

And I'd contend that only blind cultural chauvinism could warrant such a response as what you've just given.

****moderator edits****

In fact, some cultures are superior to other cultures. That is not "cultural chauvinism", that is reality. Western culture of secularism and independent thought is superior to the culture of Shariah law.

This is true. It's partly because there are more Christians becoming Atheists themselves since Christianity itself really don't have a threat of death for apostates. As much as most atheist would love to Criticize Islam—I would love to—Atheists should do so with anonymity as we have already seen how Muslims will set an example for such Critics... look at Theo Van Gogh Murdered and how Ayaan Hirsi Ali has been in high security and in hiding. 

And of course, as most atheists come from the Christian religion we know little to nothing of Pure, unadulterated Islam. So, before we (ex-christian) Atheists could criticize Islam, we should study it first.

Great point Vernard and it was great that you mentioned Theo van Gogh and Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Why should such people be murdered and be threatened to be murdered for expressing their beliefs?? Why can't Muslims act civilized in the ways Christians tend to be?? Christians may get offended by a lot of things but they don't act like savage animals.

One more thing: you have more and more Christians accepting the possibility of evolution. Even the Pope said evolution may have taken place with "god's guidance". In Islam according to Shariah law, it is punishable by death to make such claims in public as fact.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 17 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service