I think it is obvious that Christianity has become mostly benign and secularized for the most part and I don't see Christians subjugating their women and executing gays in the ways that take place in the Islamic world due to the quran and Hadith (the Hadith is the so-called writings of the prophet and his followers in which Islamic Shariah law is based from); but I see too many atheists tending to bash Christianity and giving excuses for Islam. Why is this so when according to the Islamic faith, we atheists are "kafar" should be the first ones killed before the Christians and Jews (especially me, since I am an apostate since I was "born" a Muslim); therefore, why do atheists tend to give excuses for the true evils of the Islamic faith??

Jesus Christ as a symbol (whether he was a real person or not) is a much better role model than the child molesting, murderous, and evil "prophet" called Muhammad. The Bible doesn't demand governments to be Christian but the Quran demands that all governments be Islamic by nature and the punishments are much more bizarre. In Islam, you can not even ask any questions about Muhammad or Allah but Christians and Jews are able to debate within themselves and ask questions. When a cartoon is drawn or a quran is burnt you see how savagely Muslims act throughout the world and those who are "moderate" instead of condemning the barbaric acts blame the "Salman Rushdie's" or the "Pastor" instead of placing blame on the perpetrators and culture of violence in the Islamic world. So why is it, that Christianity is often (in my opinion) overly criticized and Islam is not criticized enough when the gravest threat to the existence of the human race is surely an Islamic regime with nuclear weapons?? I'd like to get your opinions..

Tags: Atheism, Bible, Christianity, Hadith, Islam, Politics, Quran

Views: 1475

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

don't worry about islam ruling the world, christians big dogs have invested alot in brainwashing to lose it to another brainwasher.
Actually, Christianity has become mostly secularized. It does indeed raise an alarm when the most barbaric religion in the world is also the world's fastest growing religion. It doesn't speak well about the fate of mankind.

Speaking personally, I was brought up as a Christian and have witnessed, first-hand, blatant Christian hypocrisy.  I also know enough about the bible and Christian belief to be able to argue a good case against it.  If I could say the same about Islam, maybe I'd be more critical of it.

Not to mention, the very real threat of a fatwa...

Believe me, I am against Christianity as well. It makes people stupid and "satisfied with not knowing". It is a sad affair that nearly 40% of Americans claim the Earth is less than 10,000 years old. Consequently, our math and science education is comparable to third world countries.

Sad...sad..

How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy.

The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.

No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome.

-- Sir Winston Churchill (The River War, first edition, Vol. II, pages 248-50 [London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1899]).

1899 are you f'n kidding me, history. So you are willing to use it for context if it suits you?

Rather hypocritical.

It isn't about "judging history" in this case Jim; it is about the remarkable insight of a young Winston Churchill at the young age of 24 or 25. :yawn:

I do not think it is true that atheists tend to bash Christianity but give excuses for Islam.  Most of the atheists that I know tend to be more critical of Islam than Christianity.  I will admit that I have not read much of the Quran or the Bible, so I am not sure if I am qualified to post on this thread, but I would like express my opinion.  I believe that violent extremism and oppression of women are wrong no matter how they are justified.  I know enough about both of the “holy books” to know that both of them have passages that promote violence and peace.  I do not believe that either the Quran or the Bible cause violence.  The violence is caused by individuals.  I do not think that there is any point in arguing over which religion is better or worse.  At this point in time, it appears to me that there are more violent extremists who are Islamic than Christian, but I do not know that for a fact.  What I know is that we should condemn all acts of violence against innocent people and that religion never justifies violence.    

I value your input. :) At the same time I disagree with the notion that Islam fundamentally doesn't oppress women in ways other religions (i.e. Christianity) simply don't. To be a Muslim, you must believe the quran is the literal word of "god" as passed down to Muhammad in a cave. Christians for the most part don't believe the bible is the literal word of god and they don't have a system of "Shariah" in that their governments must be controlled by religion in contrast to Islam.

Your input was very well received and thanks for your commentary. :)

Thank you for receiving my input so well. :)

I agree that Christianity is not as oppressive to women as Islam at this time, but there is a movement called the Christian Patriarchy Movement, in which women have little control over their lives.  They are prohibited from taking birth control, and their educational options are severely limited.  I do not know how large this movement is, and I truly hope that there are relatively few people who support it.  I am mentioning it to show that there are Christians who strongly believe in the oppression of women, and that there are Christian extremists.  If atheists are to have one unifying cause, it should be to preserve the separation of Church and State in America so that these and other extremists will not be able to force their beliefs on the rest of us.

http://www.alternet.org/reproductivejustice/149022/creepy_christian...

http://www.amazon.com/Quiverfull-Inside-Christian-Patriarchy-Moveme...

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2009/03/14/joyce_quiverfull

For me personally, it is because I am very familiar with the Christian buybull but know absolutely nothing about Islam. Christians are the ones telling me I am going to hell so they are naturally the ones I appose the most.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service