I think it is obvious that Christianity has become mostly benign and secularized for the most part and I don't see Christians subjugating their women and executing gays in the ways that take place in the Islamic world due to the quran and Hadith (the Hadith is the so-called writings of the prophet and his followers in which Islamic Shariah law is based from); but I see too many atheists tending to bash Christianity and giving excuses for Islam. Why is this so when according to the Islamic faith, we atheists are "kafar" should be the first ones killed before the Christians and Jews (especially me, since I am an apostate since I was "born" a Muslim); therefore, why do atheists tend to give excuses for the true evils of the Islamic faith??

Jesus Christ as a symbol (whether he was a real person or not) is a much better role model than the child molesting, murderous, and evil "prophet" called Muhammad. The Bible doesn't demand governments to be Christian but the Quran demands that all governments be Islamic by nature and the punishments are much more bizarre. In Islam, you can not even ask any questions about Muhammad or Allah but Christians and Jews are able to debate within themselves and ask questions. When a cartoon is drawn or a quran is burnt you see how savagely Muslims act throughout the world and those who are "moderate" instead of condemning the barbaric acts blame the "Salman Rushdie's" or the "Pastor" instead of placing blame on the perpetrators and culture of violence in the Islamic world. So why is it, that Christianity is often (in my opinion) overly criticized and Islam is not criticized enough when the gravest threat to the existence of the human race is surely an Islamic regime with nuclear weapons?? I'd like to get your opinions..

Tags: Atheism, Bible, Christianity, Hadith, Islam, Politics, Quran

Views: 1526

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been wondering about this for a while. I went as far as drawing up a comicstrip about it recentlyish: http://www.stickprimo.com/2011/06/21/the-enemy-of-my-enemy

My simple guess is that christworship seems more immediately annoying to atheists in the modern world than allahworship, regardless the extremity of position per sect. And, yeah: to the extent that the two religions are in something of a coldwar, with the religious reich striving to turn the GOP into theocrats, atheists in the developed world more often displaying as democrats, islam might look like the lesser evil somehow; also, here in the US, the muslims are in the minority among theists, and it's in style to be cheerleaders for the underdog.

To my thinking, it's irrelevant: Allah and Jehovah each being evidently makebelieve, I don't see how one's better than the other, on its own. And, if the adherents of one religion are somehow less bad than those of another, then great; but less bad doesn't actually equate to good.

lol loved your comic strip

As a reminder to everyone in this disucssion, please abide by all rules in the Guildlnes Governing the Use of The Forum and Blogs and the terms of service. Please keep discussions civil and respectful. Language that is deemed otherwise will be deleted. Thank you.

The Moderators

I think it's a sort of "enemy of my enemy" type of thing
You bring up a great point. My own personal answer to your question is that I live in a state (Texas) where 23% of the population believes that President Obama is Muslim and has a secret plan to destroy America. In my neighborhood, I'm sure it's well over 50%.

I don't go looking for these conversations, but I often find myself in conversations with these Christians, pointing out how they've allowed their own religious biases and bigotry to be used to manipulate them for political gain. In their minds, Christianity is all-good, Islam is all-evil, so it's not hard to point out that there are good people in each group, and there are bad people in each group.

This being said, the conversation probably sounds like I'm defending Islam, and in fact, in some ways I guess I am. But this is just the context of the conversation.

In my defense, I've had the same conversation in reverse with a few Muslims. I suppose that if I lived in a country where I felt physically threatened by having such an opinion, I wouldn't see the two religions as so similar. But hey, I live in Texas. I have felt physically threatened because of my beliefs, though I know it doesn't really compare.
Muhammad's so-called visions that eventually made up the Qu'ran were largely based on the Jewish Torah and he (Muhammad) was quite familiar with Jewish people, Moses, Abraham, (his one son Ismael being the familial branch they derive from according to legend)as well as Jesus who they consider another prophet. (Nervous Comment: The conflict in the Middle East is actually quite ridiculous when you look at the similar value systems and beliefs between Jews and Muslims (I know I, know it's not THAT simple!)). Have a look at their rituals such as circumcision, diets, religious days and festivities. They lived together in peace for some time during Muhammad's life but this turned nasty when the Jews sided with his enemy, the Quraysh.
How does a Jihad (Die for Al'lah) for example differ from the Crusades (Die for Christ)? You will recall that they were at each other's throat even then!

Personally, I think that a lot of it has to do with wanting to be respectful of another culture, and not being sure how to work through that desire. 

The majority of the Christians I know are devoid of a culture that is dependent upon their religion. Islam, however, is ingrained in the culture of those who follow it, in general, which is why it becomes a blurry line.

Though, personally, I think both are total bullshit, and will openly speak out as such. 

I'm agnostic, and I don't excuse islam. I say loudly and proudly "FUCK ISLAM!" I attack islam as much or more than christianity because islam is more oppressive and aggressive than christianity is for the most part.

I don't hold back on insulting islam or it's founder, the mass murderer, misogynist and egomanical bastard known as mohommad. Most people are afraid of saying something bad about  islam and having some guy named achmed blow himself up on their doorstep. Fuck achmed, that's what I've got a gun for.

Islam is a violent, radical, aggressive sociopolitical, secular ideology that calls for global domination and the forcible subjugation or extermination of all "infifdels" It should be resisted whenever and however possible.

People will holler that hundreds of years ago christianity was the same. True. Also true is "That was then, this is now." I oppose the rising tide of radical christianity in america as well as opposing islam. I  don't make excuses for islam I bash it hard.

PS
Great sentiment. I totally emphasize with your feelings.

Because the problem of Islam is a symptom, not the disease itself. While treating symptoms can help quite a bit, the root of the issue needs to be addressed. Most of us are anti-extreme anything, so specifying against but a single extreme view seems limited.

Also, I don't think your premise that there are no "mild" Islamists holds water if you're contrasting with Christianity. "Mild" means belief in a specific God and his book, but not a literalist interpretation of said book. If there are no mild Islamists, there are no mild Christians either. Just wacky spiritualists.

There are Muslims who are mild. It's not nearly as widespread as the mild form of Christianity, but to discount it as non-existent is ridiculous. Religion is inherited more often than not, and those with mild personalities usually find ways to work around the less appealing aspects of their disease without overthrowing it completely.

The majority of Islam *is* extreme and scary though. The peoples who hold that belief have scary, short, brutal lives. The best way to stop brutal behavior is to educate and improve lives. With schooling and a better future, Islam will dry up. Helping the women in these extreme countries is one of the surest ways of making sure that Islam posses less threat to us. Islam is not female friendly at all. Women also tend to be less violent.

http://www.internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article1824

http://www.unido.org/index.php?id=7881&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=8...

Exactly. A girl in Afghanistan tries to get an education, she is blown to pieces or has acid thrown in her eyes. Want to believe in evolution as a scientist and a Muslim in the U.K.? Get threatened to ever attend your mosque ever again and forced to apologize: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/scientist-imam-threa...

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service