It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

None.

I think calling her a troll was less of an insult.

Only if you think that little of her.

Quite the contrary. I think she is capable of giving much more than she did. I think highly enough of her that I don't see her contributions as the best of her ability: I see them as the contributions of someone who stepped into the forums a little too quickly and unpreparedly. I see them as the contributions of someone who -- with due diligence -- would have fared much better.

I don't advocate calling her a troll in the least, but at least with Adam's comment, the room for greater expectations exists. With your wording, well, it's rather patronizing isn't is?

Goes to show how different perspectives can be, I suppose.

I suppose it does.

Some minds haven't been trained to consider, "due diligence," - if it was the theist's way, to do due diligence, there would be far fewer theists. The caliber of her questions and responses led me to believe she was one of the less equipped.

This leaves me to wonder if you really found her "capable of giving much more than she did," or if you expected more of her than she was capable of giving.

"...or if you expected more of her than she was capable of giving."

Depends. If we are talking actuality, she was only capable of giving what she gave. But then, that's true of everyone. If we are speaking of potential, it was likely higher than what we saw. It seems to me she got a bit flustered and wasn't prepared to articulate her views when challenged.

Ability, to me, is an abstract quality which isn't about what you have done, but rather what you can do. I believe she can do more, but in order to do so she requires both provocation and nurturing. She got some of both here, no?

Even if it serves no other purpose than to make her a better Christian, -- and imaginary Lord knows there are admirable Christians in the world -- I sincerely hope she left TA with the wheels in her head turning and the desire to reflect on her views and put the ideas she already has into better order. Worded differently, I hope she has become a little more diligent.

I'm not saying anyone should act any different. It just seems we can be awfully condescending on TA with how low we set our expectations for theists. It's not like I'm any better than Mercedes; I just need her to set herself on more solid footing before we can truly dialog.

RE: "It seems to me she got a bit flustered and wasn't prepared to articulate her views when challenged."

It seems to me, you're proving my point.

RE: "I just need her to set herself on more solid footing before we can truly dialog."

I read that as saying that she needs to learn to speak your language, before you can converse, without considering that possibly you should learn to speak hers.

I read that as saying that she needs to learn to speak your language, before you can converse, without considering that possibly you should learn to speak hers.

You do tend to assume the worst. That wasn't at all what was written.

Or, perhaps what you write reveals more about you than you realize.

Yet again, you know better what other people mean than they themselves do. Cute, but your position isn't supported by my actual words.

At no point did I ever say Mercedes needs to 'speak my language'. I never even criticized her manner of communication. At no point did I exalt my own, or set it as an example. I get that it's highly convenient for you to insert that sort of thing into my words, but it simply isn't there. It's something you fabricated. Why? I don't know. No point in speculating.

But it's clear you don't really need me at all for this exchange. You and the Kris you made up out of thin air should feel free to carry on without me.

Right! Wasn't following so didn't see that.

It is difficult to imagine a theist showing up here and expecting to be treated kindly. Yes, there is the social thing between men and women but this is not a dating site. Public debate is what it is.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 11 minutes ago. 126 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 1 hour ago. 8 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 6 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 5 hours ago. 25 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Virgil 7 hours ago. 202 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service