It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is indeed.  So what's your answer?

Oh this should be good. :)

Could it be the xtian doG is racist?

He didn't pray hard enough. Or is it they he "preyed" too much?

God must have created the rules, though.  If we are all sinners, it is only because God designated certain actions as sins.  Yes, we are told that God had given us free will to do as we choose, so if we break his rules, that is our fault.

But, judging with how eager most of us seem to be to break those rules, it would seem that perhaps we are predisposed to doing so.  We're sort of "programmed" to be rule breakers.

So if he created a set of rules for us to follow, he didn't do a very good job of giving us the "tools" to follow those rules.

We've been set up to fail.

Is it some kind of test?  Is he really that sadistic?

What kind of "father" would sit his child down in front of a plate of cookies, tell the child that he is not allowed to eat any of them, then walk away to silently watch, until the child inevitably eats one of the cookies.  Then the father punishes the child for all of eternity...

Daniel, I used that same analogy in an article I wrote last year, about placing the Tree of Knowledge in the middle of the Garden, and saying, "Now don't eat any --"

Speaking of kids, imagine your two sons both came running in after school, each with a project they had made with their own two little hands. You tell one how great a job you think he's done, and the other, that his is a piece of crap. Then read the story of Cain and Able.

Mercedes,

I have a lot of difficulty grasping someone's willingness to explain a lack of perfection as the reason for disease and starvation of millions of humans beings, especially children. It would take a very callous heart to turn away from such monumental misery. 

So, do you believe you are one of the lucky ones who happened to be exposed to the correct religion? There are hundreds of millions of religious adherents who think you are as incorrect in your belief system as you do them. There is either more than one legitimate god or many people are foolishly living a doomed existence. Either way it makes little sense when viewed from an irreligious perspective.

Don't be satisfied with what you presently know. Seek out more understanding in regard to the phenomena of worldwide religion and its development over several milennia.

I know it must seem that we're ganging up on you, Mercedes, but then you must have expected as much when you came on a recognized atheist site with a theistic agenda.

How does the excruciatingly painful, humiliating death of Yeshua (his real name, "Jesus" was only the Greek translation), if he ever existed, negate the fact that I stole a penny piece of candy from a convenience store when I was seven? Does the store owner get his candy back? How does that work, exactly?

You see, a sacrifice, where religion is concerned, is an offering to appease a god, so if you follow the logic of John 3:16, your god loved the world so much he gave his son as a sacrifice to himself - rough on the kid, certainly, but other than that, I can't see much accomplished by the act.

I love you SO much, Mercedes, that I'm going to go out and buy myself a present! Does that really make any sense?

It also doesn't speak very highly about your god's taste in gifts for himself - I'm thinking, a new robe, maybe a nice suit and tie for a change, or some cologne, but the mangled corpse of your son is just a bit over the edge, don't you think?

We have all sinned and fallens short of the glory of God...no one is perfect. I come to terms with it by accepting that fact and knowing that Jesus has died for my sins.

Mercedes, to an atheist it sounds like you are saying that it's okay that people are victims of disease, war, murder, rape and so forth because those victims are sinners who fall short of the glory of God. And I suppose that if you are okay with non-Christians going to hell for all eternity, then a little rape or torture in this short life of ours probably doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

But I suspect that you are actually horrified by such things, or would be, if you had direct experience with them. And I'm sure you think that such things are never okay, and we should do all we can to prevent them from happening. The atheist thinks, "Why would God not do everything he could to prevent them? If he exists, he would. It seems to me more likely that he does not exist, and these things happen because it's just the way the world works, unfortunately."

Mercedes, to an atheist it sounds like you are saying that it's okay that people are victims of disease, war, murder, rape and so forth because those victims are sinners who fall short of the glory of God.

No these things are not OK. But no one measures up to God's standards. that is why he sent his Son to die for us. No other religion believes in a loving God. Jesus showed us what God in the flesh looks like. We will never be perfect but we can try to live our lives like him and learn from those who have tried and failed, in the Bible and try to live our lives according to God's promise.

For being the supposed source and creator of all things, including the concept of love, God doesn't live up to HUMAN standards. There isn't a parent on Earth that would condemn their child to ETERNAL suffering in Hell for disobeying them. Human beings have a greater capacity for unconditional love than God has ever been credited with. If  you were to give a human being the power to change things here on Earth as God is theoretically capable of doing, one of us fix SOMETHING. No more disease, no more natural disasters, no more threat of nuclear holocaust, no more having to watch the skies for potentially devastating asteroids. And if someone DID have that power, and didn't use it to help out mankind, that person would be vilified by the rest of humanity. And again, even if this life we live is only a temporary place that we pass through in order to be "judged for our actions", would any good person condemn another person to be banished from eternal paradise for making a poor choice during what amounts to an span of time equal to the blink of an eye compared to all eternity? This is what your "God" threatens us with. We are better than that.

Well said, Shawn!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 3 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com