It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11638

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its not about what I want, its about what is. What I want holds little relevance to truth and I do actually care about truth. 

I am pretty sure she is a POE

Oh Adam, I'm so sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes...

Oh my!

Now that I know what that means, no I am not.

@Mercedes - hey, I didn't know what a "Poe" was either, and I've been here a lot longer than you have. Most name calling is done by people with limited vocabularies, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't want to believe in God in the same way I don't want to believe in the flying spaghetti monster or homeopathy; they are all equally preposterous concepts.  I don't really CHOOSE to not believe; basically, I am INCAPABLE of belief in something as absurd as a magic man in the sky orchestrating the chaos that roils the world that surrounds me.

You think God loves you and me?  I don't know about you, but...

I very easily dismiss the Bible as proof of God's existence, especially since it is a garbled mess of contradictions and logical impossibilities. 

"It's no ordinary book. It's many books written over many centuries."  Kind of like the "Harry Potter series."  I don't believe those, either.

It has NOT been historically verified - not even close.  

@Mercedes

Hi honey, we started to talk in chat about this.  You were saying that everything in the Bible is true, and I asked you about Unicorns and whether you had read your bible thoroughly enough to find them.  You had to suddenly leave but you said you would look into it later.  I've done some searching for you and found the exact places.

You can read about them in Job 39:9-12 in Isiah 34:7 and in Psalm 29:6  all in the King James Version, which is the standard bible found in the USA.

You didn't know there were unicorns in the bible, did you?  That is because you have never sat down and actually read it for yourself.  You have listened to other people telling you what is in it, instead.

Since you believe it is all true, I suggest you actually read it.  All of it, not just the bits your pastor or your parents picked out for you.  In your mind, your God would approve of that, don't you think?  Then come back and tell me you still think it is all true facts.  Don't forget the unicorns.

Hi strega,

Yes I remember our chat from before. They are talking about a rhinoserous here. "uni" meaning one and "corn" referring tot he tusk. I think that you have to look at the meaning of the words sometimes to see but that's what I think about those parts of the Bible.

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)

"For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.(Exodus 35:2)"

GOD Almighty Said: "`How can you say, "We [the Jews] are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?' (From the NIV Bible, Jeremiah 8:8)"

What happened to turn the other cheek? Jesus killing his enemies:

"So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds. (From the NIV Bible, Revelation 2:22-23)"

Yes I remember our chat from before. They are talking about a rhinoserous here. "uni" meaning one and "corn" referring tot he tusk. I think that you have to look at the meaning of the words sometimes to see but that's what I think about those parts of the Bible.

God forbids any private interpretation of scripture, Mercedes. You're not allowed to think about those parts of the Bible or any other parts. You obey them to the letter.

2 Pet 1:20-21: "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

If God meant a rhinoceros then the authors of the King James Bible are burning in hell (twice over) for taking out the rhinoceros and adding a unicorn instead. If God meant a unicorn then YOU will burn in hell for swapping out the unicorn and adding in a rhinoceros instead.

Revelation 22:18-19: "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

That verse is wrong in 2Peter. your interpreting incorrectly. It says that no prophet was just making it up but that it came directly from God. But now we have the Holy spirit

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 5 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 16 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 16 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service