It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where is this proof of the validity of the Bible (and not just select factoids found in it, but every single word)? Proof, to be proof, is undeniable. If it's deniable, it MIGHT, at best, be evidence, if it's even that.

Where is your proof that the way you see The Bible is so flipping accurate that we must be morons for not agreeing with you?

Mercedes, It has nothing to do with WANT.  Again, the operative words in your above post are "To me..."  If I wanted to allow myself to believe, I could, but I would have to willingly suspend my disbelief.  

What I would need is something that blew my disbelief out of the water.  Again, though, we see what we want to see.  If I was looking for reasons to believe there is a god and it manifested itself in human form, I might find them.  However I am not.  

It is enough for me to believe that life arises from natural processes, and that evolution has led to the existence of all life on the planet.  My view of the cosmos does not require a deity.  If one shows up and convinces me, great!  The Bible is just not convincing to me.  Just because, that's why.  It just doesn't do it for me (and a lot of others).  

Ask your deity to make my Bible levitate and flap around the room like a bird at 3:30 this afternoon.  If I see that happening, I would have to take another look at it.  Then the Bible might be offering some kind of proof I could latch onto.

Oh! You could also say thunder was proof of Thor!

I have proof that Thor exists - They made movies about him!

Of course Thor exists, I saw him on the Internet.

The Internet is the ONE and ONLY TRUE doG!!!

:)

So...  Does that make Google, like...the Pope?

Hmmm.......more of a Poogle, I think. :D

Mercedes, have you read the Bhagavad Vita? In it Arjuna has conversations with Shri Krishna. This particular epic predates the bible and I can tell you has more beautiful prose and no obscenities described in the bible. Do you think since in several pages Shri Krishna is mentioned, is he/she/it real and if so why don't you believe in Shri Krishna?

It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God.

You have already passed judgment on atheists by this statement! By what authority do you claim to do this? How can you make such a blanket statement about people you seem to know so little about? Don't you think instead of asking us this question, which it appears to me, you have a predetermined answer to spend time on your own and read about atheism, then maybe you can come here and we have a discussion over a cup of coffee or cold malt whichever is your preferred beverage!

Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

What has god to do with free will? Forget the free will being an illusion, why would god give you free will, which you seem to think you have, and then have a problem you using it? Don't you think you make your god to look ridiculous?

I have also seen your comments regarding the bible. You so much want to find the bible true because it says so of itself, well even Mohammed says the same of the Koran. Do you take the Koran to be true since it is also claimed to be the word of god? If not what are your reasons for rejecting it? 

Do you think we have a duty to convince you of the truth of atheism? To what end? Are you looking reasons to be an atheist or what are you looking for? Or rather do you want us to join whatever cult it is you belong to?

You have dismissed the comparison between Santa Claus and god as being a weak one without providing reasons for doing so. The god hypothesis, is unnecessary and it is just that, a hypotheis for whom men have killed brother, sister, mother and father and for whom still some idiots in the middle east are killing each other over for a promise of some desert land that was made in the same book! How ridiculous god believers can be! No wonder some people pray that god save me from your followers!

Have you read Dante? He says "since god did not exist, one had to be invented". Look at the gods that have been named since the when man could write and you will see they are all creations of men. As man got imaginative, so were his gods in fact this is why I think the Greek gods like Apollo and Jupiter are grander than the christian god whose main modus operandi is killing and more killing, for the Greeks were more imaginative.

I wasn't passing judgment I was just observing what I've seen lately on think atheist. It's the way it came across to me. I haven't read those books. Maybe I will have to to understand what you mean

You could just start by actually reading the bible - and remember not to just keep turning pages when you don't understand what you are reading; stop and study what you are reading and make sure you understand it.  That is all you need to do to get that god-psychosis out of your head and become an Atheist.

Mercedes, and I needed to add that you nor anyone else has defined a god that is internally coherent.

Mercedes you keep on bringing up the bible as proof of god ,so i think it would surprise you to learn that a fair number of the atheists here ,myself included, only became atheists after reading the whole bible through. Personaly i actually find the bible one the the greatest arguments for not believing in the christian god.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service