It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're still not answering my question though. To me there IS proof but you reject the proof so it's like you don't want to see the Bible for what it is so it just doesn't make sense to me.

He just doesn't see the Bible how you see it. You are not the ultimate authority on what is true, and I'm sorry to say neither is the Bible. You're very much stuck in a circle here.

What you are calling proof is not proof.  You are saying that the bible is proof because it says it is.  You  can't use the thing to prove itself.  That is basic.

Dear Mecedes, 

Now, i don't know how old you are but i'm guessing you still quite young. Also i'm trying to look at it a different way than others and i say you are here because you want to learn. Let lesson number 1 be the meaning of words. What do you think the word "proof" or evidence" means? 

proof is when you have more reasons to believe something than not to, i think

How about "better" instead of "more?"

Just a thought.

@Mercedes;

"proof is when you have more reasons to believe something than not to, i think"

You are wrong.

In math a proof has a certain meaning, in law a proof has a different meaning, etc. but nowhere is a proof based upon belief.

Proof is only available to reasoning minds, once reason enters the picture doGs disintegrate into the unreasoned superstition they came from.

Mercedes, wake the fuck up and use your mind, the mind is a wonderment, don't waste it.

You're still not answering my question though. To me there IS proof but you reject the proof so it's like you don't want to see the Bible for what it is so it just doesn't make sense to me.

To YOU there is proof?

That's not how proof works, Mercedes. Proof is reality. Proof is fact.

2 + 2 = 4.
Mercury boils at 356.73 °C
The earth orbits the sun.

That is reality. That is fact. These and millions of other facts are proven. Not just to me, but to you and everyone. They stand regardless of whether you know them or not, or accept them or not.

You are entitled to personal opinion but not to personal proof. To say something is only "proof to YOU" means it is not proof, not fact, not reality. 

Where is this proof of the validity of the Bible (and not just select factoids found in it, but every single word)? Proof, to be proof, is undeniable. If it's deniable, it MIGHT, at best, be evidence, if it's even that.

Where is your proof that the way you see The Bible is so flipping accurate that we must be morons for not agreeing with you?

Mercedes, It has nothing to do with WANT.  Again, the operative words in your above post are "To me..."  If I wanted to allow myself to believe, I could, but I would have to willingly suspend my disbelief.  

What I would need is something that blew my disbelief out of the water.  Again, though, we see what we want to see.  If I was looking for reasons to believe there is a god and it manifested itself in human form, I might find them.  However I am not.  

It is enough for me to believe that life arises from natural processes, and that evolution has led to the existence of all life on the planet.  My view of the cosmos does not require a deity.  If one shows up and convinces me, great!  The Bible is just not convincing to me.  Just because, that's why.  It just doesn't do it for me (and a lot of others).  

Ask your deity to make my Bible levitate and flap around the room like a bird at 3:30 this afternoon.  If I see that happening, I would have to take another look at it.  Then the Bible might be offering some kind of proof I could latch onto.

Oh! You could also say thunder was proof of Thor!

I have proof that Thor exists - They made movies about him!

RSS

Forum

Genesis 3 - Quality Propaganda

Started by Aiken Drums Sister in Politics 18 minutes ago. 0 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 23 minutes ago. 43 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Aiken Drums Sister 1 hour ago. 17 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service