It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am reading what you are saying but it doesn't answer why you reject the Bible. It's not a fake. If it were it would have been revealed as such a LONG time ago.

Why do I reject the Bible?  I've answered this already, but let me elaborate.

You say there is a God.
I ask you for evidence.
You present me with a book, the Bible, and claim that is proof.

That claim is a raving non sequitur. There is a complete disconnect between the conclusion and the premise. You might as well present me with a pizza that has 'God Exists!' written in pepperoni on top and say that proves it.

It would make no difference if they found that pizza in a cave and discovered that pizza legitimately was 2,500 years old. It doesn't prove God exists. It just proves someone made a pizza and wrote 'God Exists' on it in pepperoni 2,500 years ago.

The difference is that instead of making a pizza, someone wrote a book and wrote 'God exists' in it a long time ago. Likewise, that does not prove that God exists.

The Bible is NOT proof of God. That is why I reject it.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "fake", but it HAS been proven to be unreliable. 

By the way, this is called "circular reasoning".  God is real because the bible says so and the bible is the word of god, so it must be true and it says god exist, so he must be real.  Round and round we go.  Even if every historical fact in the bible were true 9which almost none of it is), it still doesn't prove that god is real.  It would just mean that someone did a really good job of tracking history (which they didn't). 

In order to prove that god exists, a very good first step would be to prove that ANYTHING supernatural exists.  If you could prove that magic was real, that would be a good first step.  But no magic, whether it be vodo or magic from your god, has ever been proven to be real.

Why are you so desperate for us to join your cult?  Do they pay you a commission?

I don't work at a church and I'm not part of a cult.

Any group that demands you believe what your told, without evidence, for fear of punishment, and be happy about it, is a cult.  Sorry - you are a member of a cult.  Now why are you so eager for us to join?

I don't care whether you join. And no it is not a cult. 

I know they tell you that you aren't allowed to think of it as a cult.  They also tell you that other religions, with belief structures identical to your own, are cults and they force you to believe that.  It's still a cult.

Now, if you don't care if any of us join - then why are you hear?  Nothing we say makes any sense to you and it never will unless you can think your way out of the religious-psychosis that has you trapped.

Go to a good dictionary and read the definitions of cult.  All religions fit at least one of the definitions.  Christianity is a cult.  Islam is a cult.  Judaism is a cult.  All are cults in one way or another.  

You should not feel threatened by calling it a cult for that is just what it is.

Cult
Noun
A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

That's from a book too so it must be a fact.

Yes, your religion is a cult.  It's just a really, really big one.

Of course, even if you god existed I would not give up my free will. But that is besides the point. We ask for proof because any claim that is made MUST have proof. It is really amazing how the less proof something has the more adamant people are about its validity. I mean you wouldn't accept the theory of gravity if we were floating all the time would you?

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 18 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 5 hours ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 6 hours ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 8 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 15 hours ago. 27 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service