It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God.

What do you mean "so much" proof? Any evidence of God and the supernatural will do. So far there is none at all: not a single tattered shred of it. Nothing ever presented as such has ever been verifiable or has withstood the scrutiny of credible science.

Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

I am not a fundamentalist, Mercedes. If someone ever produces credible scientific evidence that proves the existence of God or the supernatural I would accept these things as I would any other scientific theory. But nobody ever does. So I don't.

This is about reality, Mercedes. What is true and what is not. What I want has no bearing on that.

What do you mean "so much" proof?

Because I was reading another thread on what would it take to prove God and I didn't really like any of the answers. So I'm asking the question a different way. I'm still not getting a solid answer that makes sense to me. I am reading what you are saying but it doesn't answer why you reject the Bible. It's not a fake. If it were it would have been revealed as such a LONG time ago.

That's the reason Hindus rejected it - and Mohammed DID reveal it as a fake.

I've already told you why the answers don't make sense to you - because you are infected with a cognitive virus called religion.  You are ontologically crippled and nothing any of us say will ever be able to alter that.  If you can't think your way out of it then I'm sorry to say that you'll waste your entire life hoping for something better after you no longer exist.  So so sad.

It has been revealed as fake in numerous ways. Historically, and via contradictions, the Bible again and again proves to be flawed. No matter how many times you insist "it's not a fake," that doesn't make you right. Just saying something is so does not make it so.

I am reading what you are saying but it doesn't answer why you reject the Bible. It's not a fake. If it were it would have been revealed as such a LONG time ago.

Why do I reject the Bible?  I've answered this already, but let me elaborate.

You say there is a God.
I ask you for evidence.
You present me with a book, the Bible, and claim that is proof.

That claim is a raving non sequitur. There is a complete disconnect between the conclusion and the premise. You might as well present me with a pizza that has 'God Exists!' written in pepperoni on top and say that proves it.

It would make no difference if they found that pizza in a cave and discovered that pizza legitimately was 2,500 years old. It doesn't prove God exists. It just proves someone made a pizza and wrote 'God Exists' on it in pepperoni 2,500 years ago.

The difference is that instead of making a pizza, someone wrote a book and wrote 'God exists' in it a long time ago. Likewise, that does not prove that God exists.

The Bible is NOT proof of God. That is why I reject it.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "fake", but it HAS been proven to be unreliable. 

By the way, this is called "circular reasoning".  God is real because the bible says so and the bible is the word of god, so it must be true and it says god exist, so he must be real.  Round and round we go.  Even if every historical fact in the bible were true 9which almost none of it is), it still doesn't prove that god is real.  It would just mean that someone did a really good job of tracking history (which they didn't). 

In order to prove that god exists, a very good first step would be to prove that ANYTHING supernatural exists.  If you could prove that magic was real, that would be a good first step.  But no magic, whether it be vodo or magic from your god, has ever been proven to be real.

Why are you so desperate for us to join your cult?  Do they pay you a commission?

I don't work at a church and I'm not part of a cult.

Any group that demands you believe what your told, without evidence, for fear of punishment, and be happy about it, is a cult.  Sorry - you are a member of a cult.  Now why are you so eager for us to join?

I don't care whether you join. And no it is not a cult. 

I know they tell you that you aren't allowed to think of it as a cult.  They also tell you that other religions, with belief structures identical to your own, are cults and they force you to believe that.  It's still a cult.

Now, if you don't care if any of us join - then why are you hear?  Nothing we say makes any sense to you and it never will unless you can think your way out of the religious-psychosis that has you trapped.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service