It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's interesting. Thanks.  I was reading Karen Armstrong's History of God in which she says Abraham's god was El Shaddai but does not mention him as Amurru. I had a quick look on your profile page but did not see a link to your website which I would be interested to go to because i am arguing with a baptist youth pastor about just this at the moment. :)

Here you go, Helen.  Arch's site.  (I'm on PR duty)

Helen, you needed to scroll down to "PROFILE INFORMATION" - it's there.

@Strega, you do good work, raise next week, for sure, right after I fix my table --

Dear Mercedes,

No, sweet girl. As a non-believer in ALL gods, I have routinely asked my overly religious friends for proof that their god does indeed exist. To date, no one has been able to provide me with any evidence whatsoever. We'll often go around and around, but it almost always ends with me being told something like this...."You're stubborn and it makes me sad that you'll burn in hell for eternity while I'm living with Jesus in heaven." Nice, huh? My advice to you is to step outside the box. Forget everything you've been taught about your god and your prophet. Open your mind and think for yourself. You'll be a much more happier and content person if you can find the strength within yourself to do that, I promise. Peace to you. 

"My advice to you is to step outside the box."

Tina, I like your metaphor. After a family member "knocked the sides down" I really did see myself as being outside a box. Adapting wasn't easy but in time I realized that that family member had done me a huge good turn.

In Mercedes' stated beliefs I saw the same hard-as-concrete "box walls". I will be surprised if she is able to imagine herself in a box. Her leaving suddenly told me she felt a need to protect the box.

Tom...nicely put.

I don't believe in god, because it does not make logical sense to me. The same reason I don't believe in unicorns.

Hm-mm, unicycles, bicycles, tricycles, ...

Unicorns, bicorns, tricorns, ...

Ain't English fun to play with?

@Tom - yes, it is, I came up with this, one drunken evening several years ago:

If a TorToise
Is a TurTle,
Is a PorPoise
A PurPle?
If not,
Why not?

RSS

Forum

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 59 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 16 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service