It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11702

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, Chrisn, for a "first post," that was a doozie! Well said!

Thank you archaeopteryx.

If you've been following, as you say, you know I don't dole out that kind of praise lightly.

Yes lol, I have seen your name many times, and not often giving praise. I am usually more comfortable just lurking around, but her post saddened me to a point that I finally had to step out of lurk mode and finally post. I hope that if it does not help her tear down some walls, that someone else will read it and it will help them start to tear down some walls.

Your comment was very gentle. I think she was very young, but didn't say her age, but she meant well. I also think when theists come onto a site like this, they are having doubts, or a just very naive as to what an atheist really is. This, compared to a lot of sites, is generally very gentle, until real apologists come on - and it is game on. Mercedes was just curious. Totally different matter. There are also, sometimes, a xian posing as an atheist - but they get spotted pretty quickly.

Many disagreements here, and that is good - the only thing we have in common is 'Prove there is a god, somehow, and I will listen.'

Otherwise, say what you think. It is all good.

Holo, I like your disease and vector metaphor and will use it.

Mercedes' words reminded me that the religion disease can blind its victims to the reality that they have the disease.

Twelve years in Catholic schools, aided by a somewhat violent home, had blinded me. An intervention that caused me almost enough trauma to shoot myself awoke me to the reality.

I was reaching to a bedside drawer for my gun when I realized that my life was mine. That realization, 55 years ago, BEGAN the cure. I didn't know that I would years later write my siblings and tell them the Tom they had grown up with had died.  They of course didn't understand.

Religion needs people to be helpless so they will await the cure we call death.

I don't normally read the loooong ones...I read yours.

@Chrisn - Brilliant first post - now we will expect a lot from you :) just joking.

The bible is what converted me from a christian to an atheist - when you don't cherry pick, read the contradictions - realise  that the god of the bible is also a temper tantrum throwing ego maniac - voila - another atheist is born.

I sincerely hope you have made up for the time you lost as a teenager, I did. And don't forget Rock and Roll in the things to make up for. :)

Lol Im always around. I usually keep my mouth shut and just lurk around. I live by the saying "better to be thought of a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt" But thank you. And I have tried to make make up for the time I lost as a teen :)

Chrisn, I read your post; it proved you NOT a fool.

From Tom Sarbeck, Crisn, that is high praise indeed, something you can pass down to your grandchildren.

In a writing class about 30 years ago, the instructor told me I was a minimalist writer.

RSS

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service