It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the books that nicely sum up reasons why I don't believe in a god(s) are:

1) Atheism, The Case Against God (Smith)

2) The Impossibility of God

3) Atheism, A Philosophical Justification (Martin)

4) God, The Failed Hypothesis (Stenger)

And, The Portable Atheist has some good essays, imo, as well.

So much proof?? We haven't seen a shred of proof. 

@Tom - No I haven't seen the medieval torture implements for boys, but I can imagine. They were the days for 'Who can think of the most disturbing pain inflicting implements -wins a prize.

Can it be that verbal bullying sufficed to discourage women? Could well be.

That hasn't worked in muslim countries, where they remove the clitoris, among other things.

Many straight folk I knew in San Francisco cheered LGBT liberation because we knew their winning freedom would increase freedom for all of us. The struggle continues.

That is really interesting - I think that is why the majority of people in Australia support gay marriage etc. for me, it is the loosening of the ties that christianity has, on what very little influence it has left, here. In about a week's time, parliament will vote on it - xian parliamentarians are also voting for it - politics talks. They could lose their seat if they vote against it. :)

The xians are out and about screaming the sky will fall.

Did you see where a french historian suicided in Notre Dame Cathedral. He was a gay marriage protester. Good riddance, one less loony tune. :)

The Cathedral suicide somes to be another very sad low in the ongoing theist tirade against the creeping decay in their accepted 'valued' talking points. So what shall be the end point? Will theists claim some protected statis and demand their own state, with nuclear weapons to protect their father land? Will we have a moment of silence for the last theist in their passing? Will there be a TV special, for 'Reality Deprograming: The Theist Mind End-Game '?

I do not think that theists represent a class of 'cognitive parasites', but this might just await the publishing of a new textbook. Our love/hate relationship seems to have more energy related to it than it needs. I have tried to 'move on', but find that my theist friends are not above casting the net once again to see what free thinkers/atheists/humanists they might seive from the surrounding population of searching/found souls.

Finding my moments of peace, minus theists or other marketers of ideology is possible, but also find that the surrounding 'nature' is penetrated by the theist sales force. Being told once that 'I would think better if I believed in god', only reduced the theist message to a web of marketing ploys. A minister 'friend' of mine once suggested that I take up insurance sales, but I just figured that she had just unknowingly reformated Pascal's Wager! 

I so much want to have a 'nice day'. Voltaire's suggested retreat to the garden, 'because it is place to find sanity', is very inviting. Sadly the price of viable land is at a premium. Reduced to 5 gal container gardening, does seem to offer pleasant distractions.

James     

"The Cathedral suicide somes to be another very sad low in the ongoing theist tirade against the creeping decay in their accepted 'valued' talking points."

Sad low? 

I think it was the appropriate response, honestly. 

If you can't live in a world with equality, then please see yourself out. 

Mind you, the public setting was a distasteful choice in my mind, but eh. That's the last mess he'll ever make. 

The Notre Dame suicide brings back an all-but-forgotten memory.

I entered college a Catholic and left it an agnostic. Before my change, a fellow student demanded that when the chapel wasn't in use that the doors be locked. Asked his reason, he said a couple might enter some evening and copulate at the altar.

In Paris, a hard-right Catholic went that fearsome imaginary couple one better. One news article said his world came apart when France lost her colonies in Africa and Asia.

Hm-mm, France lost SE Asia and America tried to win it. Result, a disaster.

It seems Ms Merc has stopped responding to our infinite questions and retorts... 

That could possibly be because three days ago, she announced she was leaving TA --

Rest In Peace  Mercedes. :)

So farewell, then
Mercedes Page
Briefly your thread
Was all the rage
In one hand, bible
The other, keyboard
Yet all our questions
You ignored
Perhaps you'll think
If you are able,
Ponder the lack
Of Truth in Fable
We who remain
May never know
If you were really
Troll or Poe.

Oh man.  Where's the "Like" button???

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service