It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First of all, Holygram, I would certainly expect you to know that Atheists have no bibles, nor any need for any.

Secondly, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have no desire to convince you of anything - why would I? How would that benefit anyone, in any way?

Lastly, one would need look further than your own Judeo/Christian Bible to find all of the evidence one needs.

Theists who come on this board have, for the most part, one trait in common - they tap dance around questions. Let me put one to you, and we'll see how you do - do you believe your Bible is inerrant?

Take your time --

Holo Gram is an atheist actually. Read his previous posts more closely.

I, for example, religiously believe in the nonexistence of supernatural or anything related to supernatural. And from the number of members on this and similar Atheist and Agnostic websites, I would wager that many like me also religiously believe in the nonexistence of supernatural or anything related to supernatural.

He's just equating the term "religiously" with "religion". He is neglecting a fundamental definition of religion that is a belief in the supernatural. 

Also, Richard, if you'll click on his avatar, it will take you to his bio, where he states he is an atheist - I can't imagine a theist making such a statement, he'd be too afraid of a lightening strike.

Convince you that atheism isn't a religion?  Or that it is?  I don't believe it is.  It's a position regarding the existence of God, but that doesn't make it a religion.  It doesn't currently have most of the features that religions have, for example: a canonic text(s); a formal spirituality; a detailed ethical code.  There is an Atheist Bible - written by AC Grayling.  It's interesting and thought-provoking; however, nowhere near up to the job. 

Is not believing in the supernatural a "religion"?  Is NOT collecting stamps a "hobby"?  Is being locked in the trunk of a car "driving"?

Holo Gram, the folks who are answering you haven't seen your using:

1) the word religiously as a synonym for strongly, and

2) the word religion in its more widely-used sense.

My question is Do you see your using a tactic that might help you win election to public office? You will more easily deceive evangelical conservatives than others.

So, what you're saying is that if you throw the term "religiously believes..." around, that makes the conclusion a religion?  I do not "religiously believe" in the nonexistence of the supernatural. I do not believe in it's existence because there has not been enough evidence provided for me to accept it.  I am not "holding to various causes, principles, and systems of belief with ardor and faith."  I trust in science because it is the surest way for us to learn the truth about reality.  Trusting a proven method and allowing it to lead you to the truth is NOT the same as "believing" in it using "faith."

To demand that someone back up their statement using evidence and then not accepting supposition, superstition and speculation is not "religiously holding to a belief". Point out things that are clearly understood and supported with evidence is not "religiously holding to a belief using faith."

It almost sounds like you have been listening to those door knockers too long and are starting to believe that reason, evidence, and reality is no more valid their their crazy, irrational contradictory fairy tales.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

A religion, by definition (this isn't the only source of course), is a belief, not a non-belief.  A person in remote China may not have heard of Santa Clause and therefore would not be a believer in such a mythical entity. By your argument their lack of belief and strong  resistance to being convinced of such would be a religion. A person may engage in routine daily exercises religiously but such exercises would not be not be a religion. The idea of doing something 'religiously" simply means it is done without wavering. It's a metaphor, not an identity semantically.

If you even entertain the idea that atheism is a religion, you know nothing about atheism and you need to look up "religion" in a common dictionary.

holo gram you a theist?  

To Mercedes, is there anything that would convince you that all gods are the creation of men and not the other way around?  You say you want to understand but it seems to me all you want to do is put your fingers in your ears.   What are your true intentions here?

Too little, too late, Jimmy - Mercedes is gone.

I'm not clear as to why you would consider 36 pages of reasons not to believe in an invisible sky-fairy, interspersed with an occasional, "The Bible's true, because it says it is!" to be HER legacy --

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 13 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service